Sign in to follow this  
Bardan_Jusik

Nightwolves-Researching The Job

Whenever Rienne gets a job, if it's something the Nightwolves haven't encountered before, she consults Merrick to find out what to expect and how to hunt it. 

20201121_182917

Had a small amount of building time and figured this was an important part of the monster hunting business. Here's the build sans minifigures.

20201121_183117

Nice to see a build from you! I really like the various accessories around the room. I think it would look better with a tiled floor, rather than all the studs (though that does require lots of tiles), as well as tiles on the shelves; the knives and such get lost in the studs, almost. Also, with regards to photography, the flash is NOT your friend for LEGO pics. The shadows are too stark and the light too bright. I’d recommend using ambient light (the best, in my opinion, is the light of the sun on a cloudy day, or else in the shade, both of which eliminate bright spots and harsh shadows in the build).

I look forward to seeing more adventures, especially what required them to seek the help of their scholar! (Also, where did those prints/stickers on the wall come from? They look great!)

I like it!  Love the idea of showing all the planning that goes into these kinds of adventures.  As much as the attention focuses on the exciting, it's more than likely that adventurers have a lot of downtime and planning!  I like the decor around the room, including the pictures.  As @Henjin_Quilones says, the flash is not your friend (unless you're going for an effect like a lightning strike or something).  If you don't have a great place to photograph outdoors, I find that flooding the piece with bright LED light from several angles against a white cloth helps.  You have a nice, smooth table in the shot.  If you have enough tiles, you can also apply them to the floor in staggered fashion to make a wood floor, or sometimes various 2x2 tiles interleaved with other sizes can give you a tiled impression if you're going for that.  I like the simple, clean nature of your builds, though.  Keeps the attention on the scene.  Nice job, keep them coming!

13 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

I look forward to seeing more adventures, especially what required them to seek the help of their scholar! (Also, where did those prints/stickers on the wall come from? They look great!)

Thanks for the compliments and the advice! The tiles on the wall came from the Graveyard Mystery in the Hidden Side theme and unfortunately are stickers. 

4 hours ago, Grover said:

I like it!  Love the idea of showing all the planning that goes into these kinds of adventures.  As much as the attention focuses on the exciting, it's more than likely that adventurers have a lot of downtime and planning!  I like the decor around the room, including the pictures.  As @Henjin_Quilones says, the flash is not your friend (unless you're going for an effect like a lightning strike or something).  If you don't have a great place to photograph outdoors, I find that flooding the piece with bright LED light from several angles against a white cloth helps.  You have a nice, smooth table in the shot.  If you have enough tiles, you can also apply them to the floor in staggered fashion to make a wood floor, or sometimes various 2x2 tiles interleaved with other sizes can give you a tiled impression if you're going for that.  I like the simple, clean nature of your builds, though.  Keeps the attention on the scene.  Nice job, keep them coming!

Thank you! Yeah I didn't have quite enough tiles to do the whole floor and wanted a uniform look to it so I went with studs. Definitely need to order more brown tiles for things like this.

Another way to create the effect of hardwood floors is to stack up plates and tiles sideways (SNOT).  Also, you can mix in small amounts of dark brown, old brown, dark red, dark orange, etc. to further sell the effect of different types of wood being used in the flooring.

On the lighting topic, it's not the flash itself that is creating the glare/hard light, it's that unmodified flashes are not usually providing diffused lighting.  Going outside on a cloudy day is a great way to get a bunch of diffused light.  For other low cost options indoors, try wrapping some tissue around the flash to diffuse the light (a "cloudy" but thin plastic lid might work well too), or see if you can tape some aluminum foil in front of the flash at an angle to bounce the flash off the ceiling.  (Aluminum foil can also work pretty well as a larger reflector to bounce light into shadowed areas too.)  Before I got real soft boxes, I taped some tissue to my two desk lamps to create diffused light and shot pictures with the flash off.  The amount of diffusion will increase the further your diffuser is away from the light (clouds are really far away from the sun!)  Depending on how dim the diffuser makes the original light source, you might have to lengthen the exposure time.

I like those armoured torsos. I wish they were more widely available.