Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2021 Rumours, information and discussion

I don't know that Coast Guard has ever officially been declared "guaranteed," but Coast Guard sets date back to the mid-1970s at regular intervals, so it's a pretty safe bet to imagine that 2021 or 2022 will have another round of Coast Guard.  Space, Castle, and Pirates disagree with using "dates back to the 1970s" as precedent, of course.

If you read through this thread, there are multiple themes people claim that have to come back because "it's time". Starts with Construction/Mining, Coast Guard, Volcano Explorers, some Outdoor Police etc. Doubt all of that will come back, at least not as themes. Wasn't there talk about TLG abandoning the theme approach and just releasing sets as they see fit?

Would 60286 be under Great Vehicles if there was a Coast Guard theme? Who knows.

Edited by rzmpf

3 hours ago, rzmpf said:

If you read through this thread, there are multiple themes people claim that have to come back because "it's time". Starts with Construction/Mining, Coast Guard, Volcano Explorers, some Outdoor Police etc. Doubt all of that will come back, at least not as themes. Wasn't there talk about TLG abandoning the theme approach and just releasing sets as they see fit?

Would 60286 be under Great Vehicles if there was a Coast Guard theme? Who knows.

I think with the new approach, it's not as predictable now.

Like we see this wave, the €100 sets are focused on Criminal Hideout, and a Town Center (with an Octan Garage and Pizzeria included).

2021 will be also be the first time City gets a House set since 2010.

I can see the LEGO City Adventures does continue in 2021, with snake rattler and others returning, so Fire/Police sets are certainly a core that isn't going away.

Now as for outdoor/subthemes, I think it's more likely to get a few sets of each, instead of a full wave of let's say 6 or 7 sets dedicated to Jungle/Volcano/Arctic etc.

We already saw 2020 summer was partly split on Airport and Divers, instead of going 1 single direction.

I think 2019 is a good indicator of change that started happening, with larger sets like Donut Shop & Ski Resort not being strictly linked to full subthemes , even the Fire sets were some what different with Downtown Fire being the largest  instead of the Fire Station.

For 2020, the large set seperate of themes would be the Tuning Shop.

Now, of course, the 2021 sets with Buildings could be seen as the "My City" subtheme, but to me, it seems more likely that's going to be a yearly plan from now on rather then just 1 wave.

As for Coast Guard, not so sure now, with the lifeguard quad set basicly fulfilling part of the rescue role Coast Guard filled, not saying it won't come, but maybe fewer sets with just the main core of having a Ship, Helicopter and possible Base. 

Edited by TeriXeri

12 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I think with the new approach, it's not as predictable now.

Like we see this wave, the €100 sets are focused on Criminal Hideout, and a Street Plan (with an Octan Garage and Pizzeria included).

2021 will be also be the first time City gets a House set since 2010.

I can see the LEGO City Adventures does continue in 2021, with snake rattler and others returning, so Fire/Police sets are certainly a core that isn't going away.

Now as for outdoor/subthemes, I think it's more likely to get a few sets of each, instead of a full wave of let's say 6 or 7 sets dedicated to Jungle/Volcano/Arctic etc.

We already saw 2020 summer was partly split on Airport and Divers, instead of going 1 single direction.

I think 2019 is a good indicator of change that started happening, with larger sets like Donut Shop & Ski Resort not being strictly linked to full subthemes.

Both of those sets were released as part of the Town subtheme, which tends to include larger sets like those pretty often (60200 and 60204 in 2018, 60132 in 2016, 60097 in 2015, 60026 in 2013, 4207 in 2012, etc). So I don't feel like that's indicative of any sort of major change in strategy.

Likewise, it's been pretty common for years for summer waves to focus on more than one major subtheme (Arctic and Trains in 2018 and 2014, Coast Guard and Jungle Explorers in 2017, Volcano Explorers and Airport in 2016, Deep Sea Explorers and Space in 2015, Cargo and Coast Guard in 2013, etc).

2021 certainly has some great new stuff going for it, but it still seems to stick to a pretty consistent subtheme-based strategy. The Town Center, Skate Park, and Modern Family House are all part of the "My City" range which effectively seems to be an evolution of the Town subtheme, and the Criminal Hideout is almost certainly going to be part of next year's Police subtheme, as other criminal hideout sets have been in the past. Certainly it's unusual for the biggest Police set of a particular year not to be a police station, but the same was true of fire stations up until last year when the Downtown Fire Brigade set occupied that slot.

What we have been seeing recently are some surprising changes in when particular subthemes happen to show up. In the past, larger Town sets tended to show up in the summer wave, so the number of medium and large My City sets rumored for the first half of the year is a departure from that norm (probably motivated at least partly by a desire to give the new road system a "grand entrance" right off the bat).

Also, from 2006 to 2018, subthemes like Construction, Mining, or Demolition tended to show up on more or less a three year rotation, but there's no indication yet of a full subtheme in that family next year. That said, it's possible that the next wave of sets in that category might have gotten pushed back to the summer in order to push the My City sets ahead to the beginning of the year (especially since that way it could include some sort of highway or bridge construction set as a follow-up to the new road system's initial debut).

Other than that, though, City stuff still seems to be organized into subthemes pretty much the same way as we're used to.

5 hours ago, rzmpf said:

Wasn't there talk about TLG abandoning the theme approach and just releasing sets as they see fit?

I wanted to think that as I kinda stopped caring for the subtheme thing since the late 2010s due to obvious reasons. But then our friend, @Aanchir said that she still saw subthemes and that Lego wouldn't get rid of such a successful idea for one of their biggest themes. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Even though it’s a 2020 set I’m gonna put this find here. For those in the States, unless the shop is overseas, I found 30370 Diver polybag...at JoAnns Fabrics of all places. 

Its almost November! I'm expecting clearer pictures soon. Then I can really see what that Octan building in the City Center set is. If its a car wash, I need one of those in my town. It would go great with my service station. Still have my 2016 btw. Kept it together just in case I wasn't satisfied with the 2020, which I wasn't. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

IS there going to be a set that matches the Pizza Van and Ice Cream truck in 2021?

Edited by Brickham

13 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

Its almost November! I'm expecting clearer pictures soon. Then I can really see what that Octan building in the City Center set is. If its a car wash, I need one of those in my town. It would go great with my service station. Still have my 2016 btw. Kept it together just in case I wasn't satisfied with the 2020, which I wasn't. 

I will buy the City Center set and the 2020 service station to make a bigger service station, something like the set 7993

8 minutes ago, Powered by Bricks said:

I will buy the City Center set and the 2020 service station to make a bigger service station, something like the set 7993

Oh yeah! I remember that one. That was back when baseplates still owned City. 

7 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Oh yeah! I remember that one. That was back when baseplates still owned City. 

That set was the first getting that big baseplate,I think, sadly sets like that were gone since 2012. Today I bought the 2011 police station (and the 2008 mobile police unit) to upgrade my city, but it will be a bit difficult for me to buy road baseplates to connect to the station :sad:

Edited by Powered by Bricks

3 hours ago, Powered by Bricks said:

That set was the first getting that big baseplate,I think, sadly sets like that were gone since 2012. Today I bought the 2011 police station (and the 2008 mobile police unit) to upgrade my city, but it will be a bit difficult for me to buy road baseplates to connect to the station :sad:

Yeah! That's why I brought the 2014 police station instead. The flat tile pieces will work much better and theyll be much easier to connect to the new road system. I still consider 2014 as one of the golden years of City. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

10 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Yeah! That's why I brought the 2014 police station instead. The flat tile pieces will work much better and theyll be much easier to connect to the new road system. I still consider 2014 as one of the golden years of City

Yeah, that police station was the first having the smaller baseplates(16x16), I will try to buy the old ones, a local shop still sell the old baseplates so I will try to buy the most of them, not to connect only with the 2011 police station but to connect with the 2008 police headquarters too

4 hours ago, Brickham said:

IS there going to be a set that matches the Pizza Van and Ice Cream truck in 2021?

I don't think so, Ice Cream truck is the current food van that followed up the Pizza Van after 3 years, and the Ice Cream truck is still there in 2021.

There will be a Pizza building in one of the Town sets however.

Edited by TeriXeri

20 minutes ago, LordB said:

Why not make a mold of the base plates and copy them? Make them out of poly-urethane? or be creative and make your own layout? or am i missing something?

Nah my city has a rule:only Lego! 

My city will have the two road baseplates some old ones to connect to the sets with the old baseplate, and the new ones to connect to sets with the new baseplates (16x16,8x16....)

On 10/19/2020 at 8:19 PM, Brandon Pea said:

Actually we can if it's a guaranteed subtheme. Coast Guard is a guranteed subtheme just like Police, Fire, Aiport, Trains, Great Vehicles and Town. 

i disagree. i think with everything new with city i think lego may do a new subtheme, maybe like safari, that would be cool.

also, i would say at the latest we will get official picture or more clear pictures in mid november. my brother says that he gets pictures without the watermarks around a month before they are revealed, of course he has seen all the pictures already. ugh im jealous.

9 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

i disagree. i think with everything new with city i think lego may do a new subtheme, maybe like safari, that would be cool.

Why would they oust a perfectly good subtheme in the city with one that takes place out of the city? Sounds kinda stupid to me. 

Personally, I don't think explorers should even be in a theme about City life in the first place. 

On 10/23/2020 at 8:10 PM, Brandon Pea said:

Personally, I don't think explorers should even be in a theme about City life in the first place. 

I think that Lego will end the exploration subtheme, and start making new subtheme for summer

6 minutes ago, Powered by Bricks said:

I think that Lego will end the exploration subtheme, and start making new subtheme for summer

Proof?

I will make some exceptions. Divers and Space are actually ok because the bases are in the city. Even though Arctic isn't city based, that one kinda holds a special place in my heart because of nostalgia.  

Respective the big police helicopter:

It seems to be a helicopter with coaxial rotors which I really like since so it's a completely new type of helicopter we haven't seen before:

koaxialrotor-in-aktion-23b90fc2-0f9a-4aa

Concerning themes and sets for summer 2021:

Since TLG is going to release three civilian sets with buildings already in the beginning of 2021 and since there'll be no new special police theme and no new police station, this is something completely new. Consequently I'd say it's nearly impossible to guess what TLG will release in summer.

Nevertheless here are my guesses:

• one exploration theme with only four sets (like 2020)
  • no whole Coast Guard theme (tip: if there would be, then there wouldn't be the CG jetski in the Great Vehicles theme), but possibly some CG stuff inside some more civilian set(s) (e. g. a beach with small CG station and medium sized CG boat)
  • more civilian sets - esp. minimum one shop (a skateboard / bike shop would tie in perfectly with the skatepark)
  • if we were extremely lucky, then maybe an elevated train (as an Exclusive)

What do you think?

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

9 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Concerning themes and sets for summer 2021:

Since TLG is going to release three civilian sets with buildings already in the beginning of 2021 and since there'll be no new special police theme and no new police station, this is something completely new. Consequently I'd say it's nearly impossible to guess what TLG will release in summer.

Nevertheless here are my guesses:

• one exploration theme with only four sets (like 2020)
  • no whole Coast Guard theme (tip: if there would be, then there wouldn't be the CG jetski in the Great Vehicles theme), but possibly some CG stuff inside some more civilian set(s) (e. g. a beach with small CG station and medium sized CG boat)
  • more civilian sets - esp. minimum one shop (a skateboard / bike shop would tie in perfectly with the skatepark)
  • if we were extremely lucky, then maybe an elevated train (as an Exclusive)

What do you think?

Edited 2 minutes ago by Klaus-Dieter

I have to agree there. I was pretty sure that this years police wave would be based in a jumpy environment like the forest, swamplands or mountains. Instead, we got regular police sets. Don't misinterpret that though. I'm not complaining people! I'm just shocked and kinda impressed at the same time. Yes police is what keeps the City theme alive so it needs to be featured in some major way. But it seems like they are being done as though they are serving more of a supportive role than being shoved into our faces and forced to love them. 

I'm also shocked that we got more fire sets than expected. I hope some of the other named firefighters other tha. Mccloud or Clemmons are in some of the sets. I don't know about anyone else, but I want that mobile fire center. I'll take that helicopter too.

That camper is on my list too. That's along with the sports car, city center and apartment building. Sorry but I stand by my statement. That looks more like a condominium than a house. Otherwise, nothing in the GV section really interests me. It's really just different versions of what we got last year and the year before.

Speaking of Great Vehicles, I am disappointed that we didn't get a standalone bus under Great Vehicles as it would've been neat. Just have a set with a bus and a sign saying "BUS STOP" on it and you can easily slip it under Great Vehicles. Another good one would've been a much better taxi. One that can actually fit more than one person along with a small waiting area. 

But given that City surprised us with the winter 2021 wave, I wouldn't be shocked if Lego decided to release another wave of standalone vehicles the summer 2021 wave. That would mean we'd get two waves of Great Vehicles this year instead of one. 

On 10/22/2020 at 2:54 PM, TeriXeri said:

There will be a Pizza building in one of the Town sets however.

But 60271 had a burger building...