Sign in to follow this  
mrcp6d

Duel at the Bamboo Shrine

50170694423_12fef15543_c.jpg

Two samurai from rival shogunates meet unexpectedly at the Shrine of the Bamboo Forest.

My entry for the Tri-Color category of the 2020 Summer Joust.  Photography was really fighting me on this, but I really like the build itself.  Doing this requires an obscene amount of 1x1 round bricks and 1x1 bamboo pieces but after more Bricklink orders than expected, I barely got 3 angles of 100% LEGO!  :laugh:

More here.

Edited by mrcp6d

This has to be the most accurate looking bamboo forest I've seen made out of LEGO! It's so dense and natural looking. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Holy smokes this scene looks really cool, the shrine build is also top. Man this could be really as a poster or something. Very nice. :)

I'll admit, I'm usually not the biggest fan of the cartoony asian builds, but you did a fantastic job here making this have a much more historic feel rather than cartoonish.  Love the long stacks of bamboo leaves and their denseness flowing right into the stalks.  Your use of the angled red pieces is visually stunning, and the stone stairs crumbling seals the deal.  Very nice work!

On 7/30/2020 at 6:33 PM, ExeSandbox said:

This has to be the most accurate looking bamboo forest I've seen made out of LEGO! It's so dense and natural looking. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks ExeSandbox!

20 hours ago, Niku said:

Holy smokes this scene looks really cool, the shrine build is also top. Man this could be really as a poster or something. Very nice. :)

Thanks Niku!

20 hours ago, Grover said:

I'll admit, I'm usually not the biggest fan of the cartoony asian builds, but you did a fantastic job here making this have a much more historic feel rather than cartoonish.  Love the long stacks of bamboo leaves and their denseness flowing right into the stalks.  Your use of the angled red pieces is visually stunning, and the stone stairs crumbling seals the deal.  Very nice work!

Yeah, same here, though Ninjago gets a pass from me. :laugh:  Glad you like the angles!  One of my goals for this build was to get non-orthogonal with the torii gate and the roof.  Thanks!

The shrine, including the steps and torii, is brilliant. I’ve been to lots of temples and shrines in Japan and you have really captured their essence masterfully. Well done!

On 8/1/2020 at 8:01 PM, AmperZand said:

The shrine, including the steps and torii, is brilliant. I’ve been to lots of temples and shrines in Japan and you have really captured their essence masterfully. Well done!

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

That's a great creation - and congratulations on being featured in Brickvault's latest video!

Thank you!  And I didn't know that channel existed, so thanks for pointing me to that also!