TechnicBrickPower

[MOC] 4 Speed rotary gearbox. Has this has been done like this before?

Hi Everyone,

I have created this 4 speed gearbox based on the "change over rotary catch" component and I have used it to select 1 of 4 gearing inputs in possibly a new way by connecting to four clutch gears which then connect to a differential housing used as a method to transfer motion whilst allowing the rotary catch to be rotated freely inside of it. The gearbox implements 3 forward speeds, and 1 reverse.

I was wondering if anyone has seen this technique before (I am guessing yes since most ideas are not new)? Anyway thanks in advance.

Of course differential housings have been used to transfer torque concentrically like this before, but I haven't seen it used in a gearbox quite like this.  Very neat and interesting!

In particular, Jennifer Clark used the diff technique in the 90s(?) to get two functions through a turntable a decade or so before TLG caught on to that idea.

drivetrain1_lrg.gif

9 hours ago, aeh5040 said:

Of course differential housings have been used to transfer torque concentrically like this before,

For instance in clocks...

I have tried it before but wanted an 8 speed so ditched it. it might be on eurobricks somewhere,

On 6/16/2020 at 11:12 PM, aeh5040 said:

Of course differential housings have been used to transfer torque concentrically like this before, but I haven't seen it used in a gearbox quite like this.  Very neat and interesting!

In particular, Jennifer Clark used the diff technique in the 90s(?) to get two functions through a turntable a decade or so before TLG caught on to that idea.

drivetrain1_lrg.gif

Thanks for your replies everybody. Great way to see old ideas dug up and presented again. I like the differential going through the turn table. That's a neat idea.

On 6/17/2020 at 8:58 AM, Didumos69 said:

For instance in clocks...

That's a very impressive build, especially the idea of creating pentagons.