Hi

this is my version of the BR 42.90

Both steam locomotives are running on the 40s knob radius of Lego.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRB_Class_42

Unfortunately the locomotives do not have a drive, I use a wagon with 2XL engines and a BuWizz.

Construction time: Approx. 3 months
Number of parts: Too many

Greetings 3PO

TEST.jpg

As a silent reader, I have been following the construction of the 2 BR 42 in the German-language forum for some time. I hope you will find more of a train audience here.

I like the locomotives very much, but I find the drive in an extra car unfortunate. There is never a shunting trip possible. Actually there should be enough space in the locomotive and / or in the tender for a drive?

Please put more pictures in here (please also take detailed pictures). Gladly also a video, but please not upright, unfortunately you see almost nothing ...

Thomas

On 6/15/2020 at 8:07 PM, Ts__ said:

As a silent reader, I have been following the construction of the 2 BR 42 in the German-language forum for some time. I hope you will find more of a train audience here.

I like the locomotives very much, but I find the drive in an extra car unfortunate. There is never a shunting trip possible. Actually there should be enough space in the locomotive and / or in the tender for a drive?

Please put more pictures in here (please also take detailed pictures). Gladly also a video, but please not upright, unfortunately you see almost nothing ...

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

here is my second trial with a Youtube 

So far I have tried to build in 2-M motors within the locomotive, but the wagons are too heavy and due to the friction of the gear, drive rods etc. just the locomotive moves.

Eventually the idea was to use a wagon as drive unit and this solution is pulling/pushing 4 heavy wagons and the locomotive.

15901702700493470254425752829602-jpg.197

Regards Ben

Edited by 3PO

From what little you've shown the locomotives and cars look amazing! I would agree that if you could get the motors in the loco or tender that would be great, but I certainly understand that the heavy train might prevent that. Have you considered roller bearings for the passenger cars? If you are using technic axle trucks for the cars that would certainly create a LOT of friction.

Anyway, when you have time, please do post more photos of both the locos and the cars.

2 hours ago, Thai bricks said:

@3po : the video link takes me to my own videos, not yours.

Hi @Thai bricks

I fixed it.

3PO

Thanks - I am impressed. Especially that a loco with 5 driving axles goes around sharp bends without any articulation. I can foresee only one problem: starting a straight uphill after a corner I wonder whether the leading blind driver will not hook into the straight rail. In the video the overhang is not visible.