Exploring the Lost City

From the diary of Lt. Edmund Harrington, 7th Royal Engineers:

3 September, 1886 - After our local guides abandoned us (firing on us and taking all but one of the pack animals with them, I might add), I nearly decided to call off the expedition and drag Dr. Kilroy back to civilization. I was anticipating a raid by the heathen scoundrels' kinsmen to finish us off. The lad may be a brilliant scholar, and he certainly has a great deal of pluck, but he's utterly helpless with a gun (he somehow managed to break my revolver within an hour of my lending it to him)! Now I'm glad that I didn't turn us round; we've finally reached the ruins of Havilah. The local tribesmen won't come near this place as they think it haunted by a djinn or some such nonsense. If the legends I've heard are true, this city was once a vast repository of gold and jewels. At any rate, the sun is setting now and I shall have to make camp; heaven help us if Kilroy tries to put up the tent! - E. H.

What a nice little MOC! I like seeing a young Kilroy as a researcher during the British Empire! Great piece of background story!

The MOC itself is simple, but it gets the job done and the story told. Great use of the old broken arm on the statue. Might as well use a broken piece, instead of just throwing it away!

Nice little scenery, great story too. Great palm tree too.
"we've finally reached the ruins of Havilah" If it's a ruin I think you could add some bricks around it to give it a more of a ruin-look. Now it looks a bit too 'new'. 

On June 1, 2020 at 3:01 AM, Freaky Forestman said:

This is cool! Looks very much like a real set

Thank you!

On June 1, 2020 at 3:54 AM, Khorne said:

Great use of the old broken arm on the statue. Might as well use a broken piece, instead of just throwing it away!

Thanks - finding the broken arm in a bag of minifig parts was actually the inspiration for the statue and the rest of the MOC!

On June 1, 2020 at 9:20 AM, neonic said:

Nice little scenery, great story too. Great palm tree too.
"we've finally reached the ruins of Havilah" If it's a ruin I think you could add some bricks around it to give it a more of a ruin-look. Now it looks a bit too 'new'. 

Thank you! That's a good idea - I've added an updated picture with a bit more rubbish lying about below.

Exploring the Lost City

4 September, 1886 - Between Kilroy's snoring and the uncanny feeling that we were being watched, I hardly slept last night. I've kept my carbine close at hand all night and this morning as well. There's something about this place...perhaps the locals aren't so superstitious after all. Twice I've heard something behind me but turned round to find nothing. Whatever it was has the pack horse on edge too. But I must go and do some digging now. Kilroy says the remains we found belong to a 12th century crusader, and I suppose seven centuries are long enough to wait for a proper burial. - E. H.

42 minutes ago, The Reader said:

@PdaitabirdMay I ask how you made the "saddle" for the pack horse? It has two clips on each side - one for the rifle and one for the bag?

That's right. From bottom to top it's a 1x2 plate, two clips, a 1x2 plate, two clips, and a 1x2 tile.

16 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Can't wait to see what happens next!

Thanks, I'm planning to continue the story - possibly with another build!

3 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

That's right. From bottom to top it's a 1x2 plate, two clips, a 1x2 plate, two clips, and a 1x2 tile.

@PdaitabirdThanks a lot. I wasn't sure if you did use some special plates or bricks. A quite simple technique with a great result!

Exploring the Lost City

4 September 1886 - I shall endeavour to recount today's events as accurately as I can recall them; my part in the matter was minor and rather embarrassing. I had only begun to bury our old friend the crusader when a black-robed figure wielding a ludicrously oversized scimitar darted out at us from the ruins. The poor horse, which was tied to the pedestal of a large statue, broke loose and galloped off to who knows where; toppling the statue and pinning me under it in the process. I thought we were done for, but bless my soul! Kilroy snatched up the late crusader's sword and expertly parried each attack, finally running the devil through. He had neglected to mention that he was a fencing champion at Cambridge! He at once helped to extricate me from beneath the pillar, which thankfully only injured my pride. I've no idea who our attacker was or where he came from, but I now have hope that there might be something here worth protecting. - E. H.

Edited by Pdaitabird

@Murdoch17 Thanks! The conclusion of the story is below.

Exploring the Lost City

7 September 1886 - After the encounter with our mysterious attacker, I set about digging a grave for the poor chap.  Striking something hard, which I presumed to be a rock, I was amazed when the next swing of my pickaxe broke through into an open chamber. Kilroy dashed over at once; with his help, or rather,  in spite of it, I managed to create a breach through which we could just squeeze. We descended a rope with a lantern and found ourselves in a richly decorated room, with a shield on the wall (no doubt the crusader's, taken as a trophy by the guardians of this city) and a great wooden chest below it. Despite Kilroy's fervent protests, my Martini-Henry was more than capable of blowing the ancient lock open. There it was at last - the legendary gold of Havilah! I must confess that the both of us danced round like schoolchildren at the sight. Our rejoicing was doubled when I heard a voice calling from overhead, which I instantly recognized as that of Sgt. Kimball. The dear old fellow had mounted a relief expedition when our pack horse had found its way back to the garrison. We are presently bearing the gold to Cairo under heavy guard; and from there, home at last!  Kilroy can keep his precious desert - I'll take rainy old England any day! - E. H.

I really like the lamp! It really gives the whole build a mystical feel to it which I assume you are looking for. Awesome build!