darkhorse00

What are the characteristics of a Modular Building?

Not sure if this has been asked before. What are the characteristics of a Modular Building? Was trying to do a MOC of one.

1) It has a 32 studs depth base plate. 

2) ..

3) ..

Not sure anything is written in stone.  For most a modular seams to be a building, usually multistory, on a 16 by 32 or 32 by 32 baseplate with removable floors.  Assembly square was on a 48 by 32 baseplate so there is some flexibility there.  

Feel if you have a building or series of building that connect together well with removable floors you will fall under the modulate category.  If they can fit with TLG official modular sets then even better.  

Thanks guys. So based on the reference which you all have share, the characteristics of a Modular Building are:

1) It has a 32 studs depth base plate. 

2) Front 1 stud wide curb, followed by tiling

3) 9 studs wide from edge of  baseplate to technic brick with pin connector for connecting of modular building.

4) Lamp post

5) More than 1 floor?

6) Front of building (the walkway) are always tiled.

Anything else?

I would add that there needs to be a way for the figures to get between the floors like stairs, fire escape, escalator or elevator.

19 hours ago, fordtruckin said:

I would add that there needs to be a way for the figures to get between the floors like stairs, fire escape, escalator or elevator.

Oh yes. Thank you!

A word about height: you will invariably get people telling you how to build Your Own Creation (MOC) their way. Despite the fact that the various modular buildings have different floor to ceiling heights you will still have people telling you to change it to their liking usually by making it taller.

Just ignore those people and have fun building what you like.

Generaly speaking "modularity" in Lego, at least for me, implies something that can be opened (floors removed <=> loose connections with jumpers), connected (to an other building for example), rearranged (the physical position of the model) and is a closed build (so no open back). In terms of standards, the link posted by @alois sums it all up.

Oh and there's always a sidewalk in front of the building with some street furniture.

But it's not limited to buildings. I tried to build my city in a "modular" way where I can remove things easily while I work on it (for instance my train bridge you can easily remove the pilar from the base and the tracks from the pilars).

15 hours ago, koalayummies said:

A word about height: you will invariably get people telling you how to build Your Own Creation (MOC) their way. Despite the fact that the various modular buildings have different floor to ceiling heights you will still have people telling you to change it to their liking usually by making it taller.

Just ignore those people and have fun building what you like.

I wholeheartedly agree with Koalayummies here. Make sure you like what you build, and don’t worry about what others say.  If you want to keep in line with the official modulars, the only thing I would say is that the ground floor is usually taller than any of the other floors.
Enjoy your building, and if you’re brave enough, share your progress. 

The middle floor of all modulars can typically be doubled and stacked in between without any modification (to offer an excuse for those who want to buy multiple sets)

Edited by ronenson

Great question!I think these two videos from BrickPicker are a great starting point for your question:

When I build the last Modular buildings and also two from BrickAtive (great source for slightly alternative modulars of equal quality), I think the following points are in my opinion important:

• The buildings should have a timeless appeal. Most buildings have an European or American exterior from around the 50's. Ofcourse it may have more modern details like the computer in Town Hall.
    But for instance it shouldn't be very modern or victorian for a more consistent streetscape. (Ofcourse this is up to you, nothing would stop you to make something different, I purely make a suggestion based on the current modular layout ;))
  • A modular building should be interesting to look at. It should stand alone but also incorporate well in a street. Monotone and flat buildings are frankly quite dull. Make the whole thing more attractive with multiple colors and depth to the facade!
  • A trend which started since the "golden age" of modulars is the story that a building and its minifigures can tell! In the current modularline there's a vet that's affraid of snakes, a boy who got his toy plane stuck in a tree but gets help from his friendly neighbour and also the detailed leisure space in the Fire Brigade! This goal can be reached by having a varying crew of minifigures, some microbuilds of furniture and a clear connection with the role of the building. If you fel ambitious you can also add multiple roles to a building, like a skate track besides a hospital (fast service), a gallery next to a small apartment of a art forger, or a car shop besides a bed store (Feeling tired?! Sorry about that one.)

Last but not least, I wholeheartedly agree with @HereWeGoAgain and @jus1973. I realize that all the points above can be quite intimidating and it shouldn't limit your freedom of creation. A modular shouldn't have to be a 1:1 concept on the current existing productline, perhaps aside from from some basic handy concept like the connection points and the walkway. It should be your own fun little project and it shouldn't matter indeed what other people might think or judge. I hope these points help to inspire, good luck and have fun! :)

I've made my own rules since my 5 year oldplays with them. and uses them as "doll houses". I use 16x16 dots plates (no back walls) and make "blocks" with at least 6x6 buildings so he can have room to sit down in the middle. I always use the road pavements as ekstra so he is able to play with veichles as well. I never bought a modular set, due to prices, but rather bought used lego by the weight. Then downloaded instructions and made a moc out of what bricks Ive got. Works wonders and my kid can make wishes for the future buildings/functions the city needs.

Edited by rune