mrcp6d

Mitgardian Border Village House

49723071592_3c2391be06_c.jpg

In Mitgardia near the Avalonian border the climate is much milder than the rest of the guild.  With shorter winters and less snow, village buildings lean towards construction methods commonly seen throughout Avalonia's central and eastern lush green landscapes.

I've been wanting build a house using techniques from Luke Hutchinson's early MOCs and his excellent guide to building a medieval village for a while and the classic-castle.com monthly challenge for March was just the nudge I needed to get it done.  While the style and execution aren't new (almost 9 years old!), I did want to see how a classic red roof meshed with reddish-brown and tan half-timber walls.  Overall, I think it works quite well.  Also, my first freebuild in a very long time, so that's cool. :laugh:

More pics here.

Edited by mrcp6d
fixed embedded links

Love everything about this, and I saw the hints of Luke Hutchinson style even before I read your description. I really like how you tied the little splashes of red slopes throughout the build, it really ties everything together.

I'm really digging the combination with brown and red, although I don't think tan goes as well as white would have.  But still some very nice Tudor and a clean looking house!

Wow!  I'm surprised you didn't win the competition.  Love the whole thing!  The roof and its decorative edge are standout, if you ask me.  Love how its set at an angle to make the base feel less regular.  The little lime green tree is great, and the attention to detail picks up some really nice accent work in the bushes and the tudor styling.  Personally, I like the tan, as I think it complements the red nicely.  I think a brighter color (white, light yellow, light blue) might make the red roof stick out, but it blends well with the browns here. Very nice, and I hope to see more!

Very clean looking build, the timber and wattle sections are beautiful, especially the ornate gables. I also quite like the landscaping. Nice work!

Great and clean build indeed, early Derfel Cadarn inspiration is visible indeed! The Tudor and the foliage are both nicely done! I also see some similarities with Snyder brothers work, were you inspired from them? :classic: Keep it up! :thumbup:

On 4/18/2020 at 3:04 PM, The Stad said:

Love everything about this, and I saw the hints of Luke Hutchinson style even before I read your description. I really like how you tied the little splashes of red slopes throughout the build, it really ties everything together.

Thanks!

On 4/18/2020 at 7:50 PM, Kai NRG said:

I'm really digging the combination with brown and red, although I don't think tan goes as well as white would have.  But still some very nice Tudor and a clean looking house!

I wonder how much of the tan vs. white might be due to the crappy photography.  A little darker in general than it ought to be, focus is jacked up, color is shifted pretty far in the blue direction, etc. I was up against a deadline and didn't have time to reshoot/edit.  Oh well.  I still like the tan, but I might go Photoshop it white just to see. :wink:

On 4/20/2020 at 1:18 AM, Grover said:

Wow!  I'm surprised you didn't win the competition.  Love the whole thing!  The roof and its decorative edge are standout, if you ask me.  Love how its set at an angle to make the base feel less regular.  The little lime green tree is great, and the attention to detail picks up some really nice accent work in the bushes and the tudor styling.  Personally, I like the tan, as I think it complements the red nicely.  I think a brighter color (white, light yellow, light blue) might make the red roof stick out, but it blends well with the browns here. Very nice, and I hope to see more!

Thanks Grover!  There might have been too much landscaping in my build for the contest--even though we were all warned against it, I don't think I would have been able to call this "done" and therefore postable online without a base and foliage.  I have a couple of the 6020 set that was the prize so I'm not bothered too much.  Glad you like the colors, the red sort of blending with the brown was what I was curious about when I started.

On 4/20/2020 at 4:13 PM, LegoModularFan said:

Great and clean build indeed, early Derfel Cadarn inspiration is visible indeed! The Tudor and the foliage are both nicely done! I also see some similarities with Snyder brothers work, were you inspired from them? :classic: Keep it up! :thumbup:

For this build, no, the Snyders weren't really part of my thinking.  I do have a couple MOC ideas based on some of their techniques I'd like to hammer out in the future though.

I love it! I too love the guide from DC, that particular guide is the cause of my discovery of Eurobricks, the AFOL community and GoH, when I was browsing for a guide to help me out in LDD some 6 years ago...