It made no sense to have such a big front body since the engine is in the back, so this got redesigned. 

I decided to give this spoiler a try. It's not unarguably nicer, but it's fun, so..

I also tweaked a few things here and there. 

y4mJjik6mFfaFaeQ-fdXqIFXAEsteVIuplkN3iZf

y4mjtI2XZsG4Q7QWLNC3P_kTb6O0Z5C5swKpjjhQ

Edited by 1980SomethingSpaceGuy

I think you have very good panel usage. My favorite detail is the usage of the "old" small white panels at the back, above the rear wheels. Also the panels you used for the front wheel fenders are a nice find, even though you're probably not the first to use those panels for that.

I think the colors work rather well, also with the light gray.  But I wouldn't use the dark gray headrests though. That's maybe just one color too many. Maybe you can try full red seats? Another suggestion but I don't know if it's possible, but slightly inclined seats? With the seats completely vertical, it does look a bit "square", I think if the seats are slightly at an angle, the design may "flow" better.

It does sit rather tall though (maybe you could experiment with lowering the front fenders?) but this is probably needed to fit the rear suspensoin setup with the engine and all the gearing. Your solution looks ingeniious and also quite sturdy.

59 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

I think you have very good panel usage. My favorite detail is the usage of the "old" small white panels at the back, above the rear wheels. Also the panels you used for the front wheel fenders are a nice find, even though you're probably not the first to use those panels for that.

I think the colors work rather well, also with the light gray.  But I wouldn't use the dark gray headrests though. That's maybe just one color too many. Maybe you can try full red seats? Another suggestion but I don't know if it's possible, but slightly inclined seats? With the seats completely vertical, it does look a bit "square", I think if the seats are slightly at an angle, the design may "flow" better.

It does sit rather tall though (maybe you could experiment with lowering the front fenders?) but this is probably needed to fit the rear suspensoin setup with the engine and all the gearing. Your solution looks ingeniious and also quite sturdy.

Thank you very much! Much appreciated. 

In fact, what you see here is almost everything I have in terms of white panels or light blue pieces altogether.. It's sometimes more the pieces that dictate the design than the opposite! :blush:

Alas, I don't have those 1 stud connectors in red for the headrests. I've tried black, but it doesn't work. I've tried this :

y4mqDLJY1bsfYc9SlCs5sVMpx2XdzNfaap9KVDgJ

And I think I'll keep it. Thanks for that! 

I would have loved to recline the seats, but they're structural.. They're L shaped beams, and I just don't have enough red left to do something fancier. But I totally agree with you on that.

Ideally, I would have put the front fenders 1 stud lower and 1 stud back. But indeed, the bulky custom suspension structure is in the way. 

Same with the rear: with the pieces available, I could maybe sit 1 stud lower, and probably at a significant cost in terms of sturdiness, but not much more.

I don't have the parts pool to go for an amazingly refined build like some that are already popping out and run for victory in this contest. My objective with this entry is mostly to have fun. And share some of the fun with my kids, so I often pick up the more sturdy solution over the more realistic.

Arranging the few parts I have into something that catches the eye has been a blast so far. Thanks again for helping improve it! 

16 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Another suggestion but I don't know if it's possible, but slightly inclined seats?

I've been thinking about it a lot. And after an acceptable (color swap) scavenging from other builds, I managed to slightly improve the seats:

y4m7DIB-Jl9nBQLXj9S_g5PJjLehaAKoquvE32wn

I had to keep the top vertical since it is part of the structure, but the lower part at an angle improves the flow, I guess. Funny detail, the 3L red beams are held in position by captive 3L minifig sticks, so that they don't rotate forward.

Cheers! 

Miss Butterfly had her ride pimped! More race looks with a new body kit: spoilers, mirrors, rims, carbon disk brakes, fuel tank caps and more.

y4mkSg25H1LG-85fN7W9dcyEDnMayOWS7Gm6qk6s
y4mh6hZLqwtF5hX6k3Rh2UrYoftmnsCiAue3YPrj

A much needed upgrade; with all those fancy cars popping around, she was becoming shy to ride along in the neighborhood. :wink:

I threw the last dark azure beam I had into this build and raised the window heigth one stud. Helps with the hot rod looks IMO.

y4mtYfHklP2m3TkVPWmOho6eHKjEb6hXqqWNEbM2
y4mhynbFpzAKKsSF60xaL_8o9iBWHYghPH-jeJ3c
y4m8xnE8NaQX0Z-vpeOCHzy_jVORFEYCX2uT8Ulj

Steering, full independent suspension, gearbox, classic fake engine, 2 seats and a decent body. It's getting near complete!

Yesterday, I've been looking for a solution to lower those fenders. Ideally, they should go right in place of the most external stud of the top 2 grey beams protruding over the wheels:

y4mrcJZPMDD-RXehWV3u4k0CrLuvJs3x3BLStMcR

The light grey ones in the center are 5 x 3 L shaped and are the ones the suspension arms are connected to. The dark ones around are there to maintain geometry. The front one should be enough, the thing was a bit overbuilt, as always... But even if I get rid of the top one, switch the 5L for straight 7 and connect to the top longitudinal ones, the steering stil is in the way. This should also move, then..

And that implies a lot of reworking. I could think of solutions that imply pieces I don't have at hand, or some that are a lot weaker. In the end, I only managed to fix a small issue with the steering on fully compressed suspension...

On the other hand, I'm quite happy with the suspension! :pir-huzzah2:

I took the whole body apart to, once again, tinker with those fenders, and realized I did a relatively decent job of modular building.. 

y4mMZO12qWJJOLwrXzRIyaNk35szqIMfiYrxP2CE

In the process, it struck me; what's wrong is that it's built like a tractor! It's way stronger than really required. I guess that can fit with the hot rod theme, and that my builds will get slicker as my boy gets older..  :blush:

y4mk5srdBJsivPf1XA3HsNFSu2Sa96Aj-Ci6s9W7

But I finally came to some improvement. Putting the fenders at an angle helps with the global flow, I think. And, well, it's still robust enough. 

y4mxb6UE_IpleXxT-HL2jw40afD9lRerqVu-NErL

y4m-XFPgV8VxhAVOHrY2pY-iH-CztXfNO3D-QGTj

In the end, had I managed to put them on stud lower, the only way they would have fit is also one stud to the inside (narrower). And the tires are already wider without that, so I think it wouldn't have been better altogether. Surely narrower tires would have been a better fit in this case. So all in all, I'm happier! :sweet:

I ordered a few white parts for the rear wing arches. Black was all I had, but they kinda disappeared in that color. I think it's better now.

I also improved the front axle; the steering and suspension work flawlessly now. The downside is that I had to move it half a stud forward.

y4mvygOCBqzPUIlUP0ZLiSqeLkuHEA7Uu8gFoExD

[Edit:] I rolled that back. I figured another way to strengthen the front axle that does not force me to move it. Much better now.

y4mtEQ1C99IzXoluRV9P2pBy7wNX34sr-WXkKzTN

y4mtX9TacxORbFhJ6BirfaUs1c68Di7hcja5iH6G

Anything I should fix or improve? Feedback is welcome.

Cheers!

It was my birthday a few days ago and look what I got! 

y4mhZ1vQBdF5bdR2kAO2xkrrnUDLSVfDgt8b-FCO

I had to tweak the car a bit: the original headlights really aren't to my taste. I also switched the wheels to the spokes side.

y4mnN6Pxn4X9VoanZGa2o_qHsqpnTgALUakqGR1e

Doing so, I realized the motivation for this contest: this blue car really feels like an empty shell.. 

Also, I understood why its roof is (too) so low: that's about the max height allowed in the lower deck. 

Of course now that I finally have wheel arches (had none before) and a 3-stud differential, I could re-work the hot rod. But I think I'll leave it as is and start working on a new car: there's plenty of room left on that truck! 

Maybe RC and low enough to fit under..

It is interesting to see where you got from initial idea with pullback motor. I thought I was the first who got this idea but I was wrong...

@1980SomethingSpaceGuyHappy Birthday! :pir-huzzah2:

Nonetheless, I think it is a good change You did, as technically your Hot Rod is more exciting (see: Technic) - meanwhile I sacrificed every mechanics for visuals (see: statue :laugh:). Ms. B is for sure happy with her ride! :classic:

Agreed, I was going nowhere slow with my shot at pull back. Moreover, switching to more Technic gave me more to build, which is the part I enjoy the most.

She's quite happy indeed! It started as a joke, but she loves to squeeze that horn and make funny noises, so I'll keep it. :sweet:

I updated the pics on my entry post. Still not totally happy about them, but I'm glad Jim allowed for it, leaving the TC18 topic open today.

y4m55pdT9f3V6qWxlObtWpIlcH__WPVdYv9gJr5l
y4mwgfWqSWE2Luy6ruel6W4Lj_RiqmMhScFJm-W5

y4mbxiT5Er3Id6sYr9Xdr2sJ3QkTFTHQIe7AKgGD
y4mECG9q6ynvNo4PRCvDCvFldeF38ToLfV0Uy7HL
y4mmeMb0c5lT94nv5veDShYWW0itwDJ7bE-CzeZY

I think it's a cute little thing. It's quite creative, yet nice and robust, very playable. Fits the Technic theme!