Sign in to follow this  
1980SomethingSpaceGuy

[TC18] Rocket Boy's Pullback Roadster

In the process of building Miss Butterfly's Hot Rod, I tinkered with pullback motors. I finally gave up on this for reasons, but it kinda remained somewhere in my mind.

My son, who's playing with my 42098 a lot, could not fit his little hot rod on the truck, so it was taken apart and its dimensions adapted. That made the NXT panels available, but there's not many of them. As for Miss Butterfly's, I had to go the two-tone path. This time with 42036's medium blue. This helps give a kind of family looks... 

y4mSE8y8fTfgT-X-RPwAYFyC5MNXiBSzVPyyZ8Kp
y4mVQ9QejMb2dkZpL4vzqg8wl4YfoLIeL60CQjHu
y4m3AA3s6vlA_8wlw80y31B0GDLjcDybSlKcPFGn

But as usual, the focus was on features: it has a pullback motor, 4 cylinders (2+2 synchronised) classic fake engine, Ackermann steering, HOG, and a strong structure: the thing can take a 1m fall without too much risk of any serious damage. Which is a must have when designing toys for kids under 3...

y4mXwFF14f9fAx3Q9adKWaaP9tnaYGWoPn7VYLeg

Steering and pullback imply an additional feature. I didn't want to lock the steering, I though it'd be smarter to have it return to neutral on its own. A rubber band was used in that purpose.

y4mhC9Zoh1_EXWm8ET5YaMiSm5TInutMX-O6Zv_u

The thing works well and looks reasonably nice considering the very few parts left at hand. My son's happy with it, at least!

Small video of the steering in action:

And finally, for everyone who wonder why I prefer classic fake piston engines over mini fake cam-like engines, well this is why:

Cheers!

Edited by 1980SomethingSpaceGuy