MKJoshA

Ep. V: Here There Be Monsters!

1280x535.jpg

Narvu Flanch is a monster hunter. He specializes in dragons, but for the right price he will take on any of the galaxies most fearsome beasts. Rumor has it he lost his eye trying to capture a Nexu during the Clone Wars. They also say that he uses techniques that were developed as far back as the Old Republic. And probably the most important rumor is that he has found a secret hyperspace route during one of his adventures. The Factions quietly send some of their best people to find Narvu and see if the rumors are true.

Contest Specifics:

This is your chance to show you've got what it takes to capture, subdue, or kill one of the galaxy's most powerful beasts.

Category A: Show your character collecting information on where to hunt a beast. Maybe you're consulting the knowledge of one of the galaxies famous libraries. Maybe you're following up leads at a local cantina. Or maybe you're already a skilled tracker and are following the trail of a beast. Max size: 20x20

Category B: Show yourself or a hunting party going after one of the galaxies Dragons! You might be hunting a Krayt Dragon of Tatooine, a Kell Dragon, a Zillo Beast of Malastare, an Arkanian Dragon found in the frozen diamond mines of Arkania, a Dathomiri Rock Dragon, an ice dragon of Toloran, an Ithorian dragon, or an Ubese Thorn-Back War Dragon. Show the terrain of the planet you've found the dragon on, the dragon itself, and the process you take to go about subduing one of these great beasts. Max size: unlimited.

Category C: Show yourself or a hunting party going after one of the galaxies other monsters. You might be hunting a Bull Rancor on Dathomir, a Nexu of Cholganna, or a Wampa on Hoth. The emphasis of this contest is dragons, so if you're going to go after another beast you need to show your skills! Special emphasis should be on the monster and it must be brick-built. No pre-fab molds for Rancors, Wampas, etc. allowed. Minimum size: 16x16

Category D: Show the resulting trophy from your endeavors. Did you mount the skull on your wall? Did you donate the skeleton to a museum? Did you turn the hide into a throw-rug? Max size: 16x16

The Rules:

• Entries can be set during any era.
  • You can build any monster from Star Wars on any planet, just make a good story if you're doing something weird like hunting a Wampa on Coruscant (E.g. you could be hunting rancors or crayt dragons anywhere in the galaxy). As long as you build in a system accessible to your faction you will receive normal IP.
  • All entries must be posted as a new topic in the Factions subforum, the title prefixed by [Factions Ep. 5- Category][Build Sector - Build Planet - Faction]. For example, “[Factions Ep. 5 - Cat A][M11 - Corellia - CS] Dragon Hunter”.
  • Each person is only allowed 1 entry per category.
  • All entries must be entered using this formLink to Submittal Form
  • All rules in the Core Rules topic apply unless otherwise stated in this explanation or the rules above.
  • There are no extra restrictions on the size/form/content of the builds, as long as they follow the above described goals.
  • The Episode will run from March 5th to April 30th. As long as it is still Apr 30th somewhere in the world, you can still enter. 
  • Entries posted after the deadline will be disqualified from the episode and will not be eligible to receive points or XP.
  • Entries will be judged according to the following rules:
    • Your build can earn up to 50 points.
    • The amount of points you earn is also the amount of XP your character earns.
  • This episode/contest is open to all players of Factions, even if they joined EB or signed up for the game after the episode has begun, with the exception of the Star Wars staff, who are not eligible to win XP or prizes; the EB admins and moderators, who are not eligible to win prizes but may earn XP; and the episode host, who is not eligible to win prizes but may earn XP.
  • All entries must be new creations, not posted anywhere else prior to the start date of this episode. You can use creations for this contest in other forums or contests, but it should not have been displayed before the start date for this contest. You may be asked by a staff member to change your entry if it is too similar to an earlier creation.
  • All entries must be built from real LEGO or with Lego Digital Designer. No third-party molds may be used for the subject non-human.
  • If you are using Lego Digital Designer, please remember you can only use existing colors and pieces. Also be aware that the judges will watching to make sure your LDD model could hold itself up in real-life.
  • Post pictures no larger than 1024x768, as specified in the EB Member Guidelines.
  • You may do a 'full-blown photo edit' with all the text, effects, background compositing, support erasing, and other effects on ANY picture. For obvious reasons, any photo editing that changes the shape, functionality, or color (not tint or adjustment, but actual color) of a LEGO piece is prohibited,.
  • All entries are considered WIPs (Works In Progress) until the deadline passes. Until the deadline has passed, you are allowed to change and improve your MOC.

The Prizes:

• You will receive XP equal to the number of points you are awarded from the judges.
  • Your faction will receive IP on your posted planet if your MOC is eligible for them.
  • If your Factions earns the most cumulative XP for this challenge, they will earn a Secret Hyperspace Route. This will allow the owner to build 1 entry on any planet in the galaxy regardless of current accessibility.

Really excited about this one. It actually matches the next stage in my character's journey, so I'm glad it came about when it did. Will we find out just what happened on Rishi? Wait and see!

One thing I was interested in, though. Do you know when we're likely to get another holocron challenge? I don't think The Triumvirate has managed to win any yet and, as the most active faction, it seems a shame that we haven't had that chance yet. 

Just now, Ross Fisher said:

Really excited about this one. It actually matches the next stage in my character's journey, so I'm glad it came about when it did. Will we find out just what happened on Rishi? Wait and see!

One thing I was interested in, though. Do you know when we're likely to get another holocron challenge? I don't think The Triumvirate has managed to win any yet and, as the most active faction, it seems a shame that we haven't had that chance yet. 

We are currently working through the timeline of the next few challenges after this. As of yet we haven't set any dates for holocron challenges. But, can still find them by exploring planets. Once your faction has 25 IP or more on a planet you will be told if it contains a Holocron.

I've updated the 1st post with a link to Dragons on Wookiepedia. This isn't the final authority on SW dragons, but it gives you a good place to start looking if you need inspiration.

5 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

You make a good point about the 16x16 limitation.

Did it all have to fit with 16x16 or just the base?

19 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Did it all have to fit with 16x16 or just the base?

All entries for Cat D should fit within a 16x16 size. Some overhang is allowed.

The contest is now closed! Thanks for all the amazing entries, we'll start judging them shortly.

Scores are in and posted. Congratulations to the Triumvirate on winning! You have gained a Secret Hyperspace Route. This allows you to build 1 entry on any planet in the galaxy regardless of current accessibility. Please add a comment in your build when you enter it so we know your Secret Route has been used.

Cumulative Scores:
Triumvirate - 79
Confederacy of Free Systems - 26
CorSec - 24
Black Sun - 13

We are hard at work on the next contest which will have physical prizes! So stay tuned for more and while you wait be sure to participate in the latest LTC.

20 minutes ago, marvelBoy123 said:

My mistake, I thought I had entered it through that sorry!

You should enter it as a freebuild still!

Ok, I'll change the title and submit it as a freebuild. Sorry, I think I left it unsubmitted in order to make an update but then forgot to afterwards. It wouldn't have changed episode results anyway so it isn't a big deal.

Done!

Edited by marvelBoy123