General Zen

A terrible blow to an adult fan of lego?

I actually am friendly with the people who sell the Lego in area. They always smile at me when I come in and tell me when they get new items. And I'm not even a kid... The only time I got looks was at Kmart with the dwarves mine... some of you may know that story. I will not go back there again.

I am 28. One day my mom walked into my room and saw a new set of Lego lying on my bed. She took a closer look and the box and said,"This is for age 6-14, grow up!" I didn't know what to say. That was the biggest blow so far.

I never really notice and dont care really. I am proud of lego being my hobby and don't care what any one else thinks about it. When I was younger starting a new school I happily told everyone I like Lego and some people just looked at me funny but others started a conversation about lego with me even though they didn't like it any more. So I dont care what others may say to me as I will just take it in a good way. Lets face it most adults don't like lego so other adults may be surprised.

I love the reaction of the poster of the original topic, because he was afraid he might've insulted the AFOL by drawing attention to him. I think it's very endearing for a youth to be so considerate.

Young people are often very self-conscious, so any even slightly negative attention is a horrible thing for them. But the thing is, the self-consciousness usually wears off with age. Now, approaching the age of 25, I can do so many "embarrassing" things that I wouldn't have been able to do out of sheer fright ten years ago.

I can sing karaoke, I can talk to strangers, and yes, I can march into a store and buy LEGO sets without thinking "omg, they must think I'm retarded or something!". On the other hand, I'm at the age where I could have my own children or at least many nephews and nieces to buy the LEGO for. :wink:

My point was that I understand how a young person might see buying heaps of LEGO as an embarrassing thing, but to us AFOLs, it's most likely not that embarrassing.

I noticed that there are conflicting existence between LEGO and the collector whom is at the different stage of his/her life. As an AFOLs, there is nothing much to be shy about your hobby. Although I have many friends of mine whom have discouraged me not to overspend with my monthly LEGO expenses, especially recently whne my friends visited my house over the Chinese New Year visiting and tell me straight into my face, that I should purchase goods protection insurance against fire or whatever hazards. Imagine being in that situation where my parents and my close friends are looking at me in that situation. :blush:

Well, I don't really care.. To me, LEGO is more than just a toy and being part of my life especially in recent years. It was so happened that I got to know some of my uni friends which collect LEGO, and somehow we are causing indirect influence and encourage each other to buy more and more.

Do what makes you happy. You are not accountable to strangers, but to your loved ones. On another note, I feel that the biggest transformation in me, is whenever I am looking at the LEGO price tags... and I can actually said that it is affordable to a large extend... More or less, I am becoming more acustomised to it and that is very bad on my wallet. :hmpf:

On another note, I feel that the biggest transformation in me, is whenever I am looking at the LEGO price tags... and I can actually said that it is affordable to a large extend... More or less, I am becoming more acustomised to it and that is very bad on my wallet. :hmpf:

I know exactly what you mean. When I first came out of my dark ages, I was very concerned about perceived value, price per brick etc and was very selective about what I bought (it helped that I came out before Lego's design Renaissance so options were limited anyway :wink:).

When I first posted at EB, I probably felt the same way and remember discussing the US price advantage and feeling disgruntled (waaaay before the Australian dollar crashed). I think at some point I just accepted that yes, Lego is an expensive hobby, but if I want this set (whichever one it was) then an extra $10 or $20 here and there isn't going to break the bank. I would rather buy a set and enjoy it fully than sit, rocking in a corner, feeling guilty/ angry/ betrayed that Lego released a product that didn't fit my idea of a perfect price/ piece count. I think the general 2009 prices and especially the Solar Sailer teeth-gnashing is indicative of this. Sure, it's different for kids but as an AFOL I don't see why we should get worked up over a few dollars here and there.

Similarly, I am not one of those people who will refuse to buy anything until it goes on sale. I enjoy sales as much as anyone, but I like to get enjoyment out of sets as they come out. I wouldn't have the patience, like some do, to sit staring at a set I wanted on a shelf and waiting a few weeks just to save 15% or 20% off :grin: (That said, if I buy multiples I usually buy at a discount).

Lego is a hobby that you should not feel ashamed or traumatised by. If some checkout clerk makes a snide remark, then that says more about them than it does about you. To be honest, I can't really remember anyone commenting in a negative way when I've bought Lego in stores. Retail staff aren't usually paid enough to care! And each of us, every one, has our own secret pride and passion, our own individual hobby which we treasure above all else, so on that level I think there is a general empathy for the interests of our fellow human beings.

I very recently used LEGO to demonstrate a product idea that I'm working on. This is a part of my economic studies, and that my (extremely simple) demonstration model was going to be used in front of my class mates. Since economy studies usually attract people with lots of responsibilities and seriousness, I was relieved when it turns out that it sparked an enthusiastic conversation about toys.

My guess is that some people have a very clear distinction between kids and adults, and that an adult shouldn't play with toys, because it conveys an image of immaturity and irresponsibility. I have the impression that's it's mostly image-conscious people who are like that, and I like to think that they deep down they are miserable and envious of our lack of restraint, and might try to drag us down to their level. And because of that, if I meet one, I will simply ignore any negative remarks made by them.

I don't really get strange looks, I mean, the owner of the store I mostly shop at is a Lego enthusiast! :grin:

There's a couple of folks at the thrift store that I visit that don't know me by name yet, but they definatley recongnize me when I come in.

I am 28. One day my mom walked into my room and saw a new set of Lego lying on my bed. She took a closer look and the box and said,"This is for age 6-14, grow up!" I didn't know what to say. That was the biggest blow so far.

Ouch, that's pretty disrespectfull coming from a family member. Sounds like there may be some other issues brewing there.

I love the reaction of the poster of the original topic, because he was afraid he might've insulted the AFOL by drawing attention to him. I think it's very endearing for a youth to be so considerate.

Young people are often very self-conscious, so any even slightly negative attention is a horrible thing for them. But the thing is, the self-consciousness usually wears off with age. Now, approaching the age of 25, I can do so many "embarrassing" things that I wouldn't have been able to do out of sheer fright ten years ago.

I can sing karaoke, I can talk to strangers, and yes, I can march into a store and buy LEGO sets without thinking "omg, they must think I'm retarded or something!". On the other hand, I'm at the age where I could have my own children or at least many nephews and nieces to buy the LEGO for. :wink:

I completely agree. I didn't buy LEGO in my late teens, but it's just part of that stage of life that make attention, and peer opinions very serious. Most adults grow out of that, and embrace whatever hobbies they choose. I don't worry much about other folks opinions, but I do admit that as a 28 year old with a wedding ring, most folks probably assume that I'm buying for a kid...

...that is until I spend 30 minutes packing a cup at the LEGO Store PAB wall.

looking at the LEGO price tags... and I can actually said that it is affordable to a large extend... More or less, I am becoming more acustomised to it and that is very bad on my wallet. :hmpf:

Yep, I've noticed that people often think about finances differently when it relates to hobbies they really enjoy. Everything else in my life is quite frugal (affordable house, 90's car, shopping at ALDI, etc.), but somehow I managed to spend an extraordinary amount on LEGO last year.

... it sparked an enthusiastic conversation about toys.

My guess is that some people have a very clear distinction between kids and adults, and that an adult shouldn't play with toys, because it conveys an image of immaturity and irresponsibility.

That's been my experience when it comes up. Folks who see my collection or my club module at a show are usually quite impressed.

As for your guess, I think it should be a 3 tiered model. With kids getting complete acceptance, teens and college age kids getting the least acceptance, and adults getting very different reactions of acceptance or disdain depending on who they are talking to.

Whenever someone is fanatical (Adult Fanatic of Lego, right?) about something, they should expect to get funny looks, comments, and questions. It's just something that society finds interesting. I don't think it's just beacuse it's a child's toy we're buying - at least not all the time.

One time I was buying a bunch at the Lego store at Disneyland and I got a "Woah!" comment from a kid - I don't think it was because I was an adult, but because I was buying so much (there were lots of adults in the store).

If you're really into guitars and you go buy 6 guitars at once, I'm sure you'll get some weird looks too!

My suggestion is, if you're worried about getting comments from people, just buy in smaller quantities! (or tell them you're just really creative for your age :tongue: )

So interesting this topic !

I am 32 years old. just started buy Lego 2 years ago.

I spent almost $10,000 only 2 years, mostly in last few months, to become a serious Lego collector

So, My wife and parents , of course, criticize me, discouraged me.... I am too old bla bla bla.

only my beloved child, 3 years.... so happy, have so many Lego in early ages :tongue:

The point is :

If you hard working guys, spent so many times to working, why we can choose some hobbies to control us more productive? Hide over stress,

for me : Lego is perfect hobby. After 2 years, my responsible job not slow down, but getting higher, my financial slightly bad..... but if you really know that Lego will be good asset or investment in next years, you should be happy, spent so much money for Lego, if you compared spent wasting money for expensive dinner, bla bla bla.

We MUST be happy with Lego in our life.