DarthTwoShedsJackson

[MF-MOD] "I've added some special modifications myself"

Hello there!

Some might remember me as the one who always was confident that we would eventually get a new UCS Millennium Falcon back in the days when there was speculation galore. I always wanted one, but I was not willing to pay 800 Euros for a set, even one as cool as the MF. Before christmas last year, however, I managed to get one for slightly over 600 Euros and finally pulled the trigger.

Even before I received the enormous box I decided to not build the model according to the instructions from start to finish, but to built the majority of the outer shell and the details myself. First of all, I wanted to get cleaner lines and surfaces, especially on the circular hull plating and the mandibles, as well as creating movie-accurate detail. As for the detail, I aimed to build the clips to which the piping is attached into the plane of plates, so that all the pipes are resting flush on the hull plating. I also didn't want to bend soft or rigid hoses to create piping detail.

As a general guideline, I always opt to achieve a 'clean', pleasing-looking finish, and I'm willing to approximate details in order to achieve that rather than trying to build them as closely to the reference material as possible, often ending up with something that looks super-accurate but clunky in Lego form. That's simply a matter of building style, not of 'right' or 'wrong'. Also, I avoid results that look cool but are wobbly.

I start this thread because the model is finished for now, with all major problems on the outer shell solved and all outer details built and attached. As for the circular plating, I went with a 'pizza-slices'-approach, since that gave me clean edges and the right directions of the studs to achieve the piping like I described above and also get the right shapes and alignments for various coloured parts of the hull. I also moved the maintenance acces ports in the mandibles two studs to the front to create space for the circular plating and more accurate proportions in that whole area.

In the coming months, I will most propably improve some things here and there, as is usually the case with such a huge model, and maybe tackle incorporating a full interior. We'll se about that. As for now, here are the first two photos of the heavily modified build, and I'll post more in the coming days. I hope you like it - in any case, tell me what you think!

MillenniumFalcon001.jpg.fe1298f506f8d26c

MillenniumFalcon002.jpg.27970805002b131e

Looks great! I really like it! 

Definitely a lot better looking than the original. 

I’d love to see instructions or a few breakdowns how you did this.. looks incredible, the circular shape is perfection.

This looks great. So much better than the stock version. My favourite bit is the front half of the saucer - I think you did an excellent job there. The blast damage near the dish looks great!

Hell yeah! That’s a smooth surface. I‘d love to see how you connected the new hull to the structure. 
great work

Thanx a lot, guys! I plan to make more photos in the upcoming days.

19 hours ago, ptrg said:

I’d love to see instructions or a few breakdowns how you did this.. looks incredible, the circular shape is perfection.

Creating instructions is both time-consuming and something I have no experience with. I have other time-consuming hobbies, like actually building, modifying and painting Star Wars model kits to look as close to the original studio models as possible, like Red 2 and Gold Leader which I built and painted last year:

Spoiler

5c85661a96a20_Red272scale005.png.e1ad468

5cc4b12b73ee9_GoldLeader72scale005.png.f

Or painting Star Wars Miniatures for tabletop gaming:

Spoiler

5ce9b4e03022c_EMPIREAnakinVader01.png.23

5c16d255450ca_REBELSAhsokaTano01.png.bd0

So that you get an idea why I don't want to make instructions.

That being said, I can post photos breaking down the various elements to give you an idea how I arrived at the shapes so far.

I will definitely make more photos of my Falcon and post them here. I will also continue tinkering with it.

1 hour ago, ScottishDave said:

This looks great. So much better than the stock version. My favourite bit is the front half of the saucer - I think you did an excellent job there. The blast damage near the dish looks great!

Thanx, ScottishDave - I'm familiar with your exhaustive work on the original UCS Falcon, and your praise means quite a lot to me.

23 minutes ago, stifos said:

I‘d love to see how you connected the new hull to the structure. 
great work

Just watch this space - I will grant a look under the skirt.

The mix between tiles and studs and the smoothness of it all is really great on this. Definitely reminds me of the Marshall Banana Falcons

On 1/28/2020 at 8:05 PM, DarthTwoShedsJackson said:

Thanx, ScottishDave - I'm familiar with your exhaustive work on the original UCS Falcon, and your praise means quite a lot to me.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm also looking forward to seeing more of this model, and i agree with @LEGODrongo01 that the mix of studs and tiles looks awesome.

Thank you also for sharing pictures of your other hobbies. They look fabulous!

That’s a thing of beauty, well done! I love the clean lines and solid look, the UCS model is incredible but this is a clear step up. I really like the battle damage and holes in the rear of the hull, you’ve done those perfectly, and the top of the hull looks pleasingly smooth. I’m looking forward to seeing your interior :)

Have you posted breakdown pics anywhere yet? I would like to try to mod my falcon to look similar to yours.

Edited by Banned_It