Sign in to follow this  
klockizbroda

[MOC][LEGO Ideas] The Modular Knight's Castle

Hello,

Some of you might have already seen this thanks to @leafan's thread on Historical/Castle projects currently posted on LEGO Ideas (thanks again for sharing!).

My latest entry - The Modular Knight's Castle is my humble attempt to bring back the good old Castle back on the shop shelves. It consists of six basic types of modules that allow you to rearrange your castle fairly quickly and easily. Some of the modules like the walls and the main gate consist of hinged segments to provide good flexibility in terms of shaping the castle as well. I have tried to make it as playable as I could by including features such as a working portcullis and a drawbridge operated with a windlass. There is also a lot of space to place your knights on top of the walls and battlements and inside the towers. A siege tower with a folded bridge is also included in the set to add even more playability :grin:. The entire build (as well as each and every one of the modules of course) is very sturdy - the castle is actually used by a six years old for almost a year now, and still remains intact (can't say the same about some of the knights unfortunately :wink:).

If you want to read more about the project and maybe fancy supporting me on my quest, you can find it in here: The Modular Knight's Castle

Thanks!

49340842643_72d1784d99_c.jpgThe Modular Knight's Castle by Michał Piotrewicz, on Flickr

49340843108_8982358c45_c.jpgThe Modular Knight's Castle by Michał Piotrewicz, on Flickr

49341294471_9f9100462b_z.jpgThe Modular Knight's Castle by Michał Piotrewicz, on Flickr

49340983131_8bc4ff4f89_z.jpgThe Modular Knight's Castle by Michał Piotrewicz, on Flickr

49341517292_623efc5905_c.jpgThe Modular Knight's Castle by Michał Piotrewicz, on Flickr

49341294686_9cb2b25690_c.jpgThe Modular Knight's Castle by Michał Piotrewicz, on Flickr

49341294231_c0264e779d_c.jpgThe Modular Knight's Castle by Michał Piotrewicz, on Flickr

Edited by klockizbroda

This is really one of the best Castle Ideas I've seen that would make a good set.

It's not too big, yet uses full brick built walls that still keep the look of older sets with some new pieces for texture, and newer faces.

Also a set like this with 2 smaller castles of different factions would make a great playset, or could be combined into 1 larger structure.

Also makes it very expandable with multiple sets.

2 hours ago, deraven said:

I am familiar with Michael's project and yes - the way that the battlements look in my castle was inspired by his design. I mentioned that in a video that I posted on YT almost a year ago where I first described my project  (link below - I know it's in Polish (never had time to translate it, sorry), but there is an English description that credits Michael's idea) and even tagged him in my Instagram posts where I also first showed my castle (also mentioning about the inspiration). But apart from the similarities in how the battlements look, the rest of the project is my original work and I think the basic design assumptions of his and mine castles are quite different.

Anyway, @Micheal Kalkwarf if you consider this similarity an issue, please let me know and I will withdraw my project from LEGO Ideas right away. When I was designing this set, I never considered it a way to get any profits out of it. My original goal was to create something fun for my little nephew to play with and then share it with the community so that maybe LEGO makes a set that other kids can enjoy as well.

For now I am adding a note to the idea description about the inspiration regarding the battlements design. (EDIT: Turns out that because of the LEGO Ideas restrictions, I will not be able to do this in next 25 days. I will however add the note as soon as I can.)

Link to my video: 

Edited by klockizbroda

I remember Michael's modular castle, and it's nice that you've done everything possible to credit the original. I hope that this won't jeopardize your work, because it's one of the most brilliant ideas I've seen in past year. Well... this year, but you know what I mean.

I don't think those 2 IDEAS are similar enough to be direct competition, the other also expired almost 2 years ago.

I also think the idea of having 2 factions helps a lot, both as a playset for kids and army builder/expander for AFOLs.

I like this one a LOT more as it feels more like 80s Castle.

Also the other project doesn't have seperate thinner wall modules, which I really like as it allows horizontal expansion without using a huge amount of parts compared to double-walls.

This set gives me vibes like this while the other does not , which also makes multiples of the set really expandable.

6062-1.jpg6061-1.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

Personally I like the more detailed and elaborate design from Kalkwarf, but there is definitely some Classic Castle nostalgia with yours (and just a bit of more modern touches for good measure).  The modular expandability of the Classic Castle sets was always one of my favorite things from the theme.  It would be fun to see some of those classic sets put together with your modern interpretation here.  :classic: