Whilst this fig does look cool and interesting, I really hope it's not Monkey Kid. It looks so similar to recent Ninjago, I hope that the leakers are just wrog in this case. I want a Chinese fantasy setting more than another sci-fi one.

58 minutes ago, Mattah12 said:

Whilst this fig does look cool and interesting, I really hope it's not Monkey Kid. It looks so similar to recent Ninjago, I hope that the leakers are just wrog in this case. I want a Chinese fantasy setting more than another sci-fi one.

I can’t think of anything else it could be. Bulls exist in Chinese mythology, we know there aren’t going to be any more Prime Empire sets this year (ask again in 2025 when Legacy catches up to Season 12) and I can’t imagine that cyber bull guy being in a City or Creator or Hidden Side set.

I’m still going to put him (and anything else from Monkie Kid with that aesthetic) with the Prime Empire stuff though. 

This seems very unlikely, but it's possible that LEGO wants this theme to replace Ninjago. Just think about it... Back in 2013, they wanted to replace Ninjago with Chima. That didn't work out as planned, so maybe they are trying it again this year with Monkey Kid. I highly doubt LEGO would have two themes with very similar aesthetics at the same time on shelves unless they intend for one to replace the other. 

Again, it's unlikely, but still a possibility. 

Just now, LOTR34 said:

Goddamnit Lego just for once can't you make an action theme without shoving down our throats futuristic aesthetics??

Elves would like a word with you. 

So would Hidden Side, for that matter - I know, there’s technology, but stuff like the School Bus honestly makes me think more of 1980s Ghostbusters than anything futuristic. 

Just now, Feng-huang0296 said:

Elves would like a word with you. 

So would Hidden Side, for that matter - I know, there’s technology, but stuff like the School Bus honestly makes me think more of 1980s Ghostbusters than anything futuristic. 

I was referring to themes like Ninjago,Chima and Nexo Knights.All those themes have futuristic elements,I would like to see a theme of the same scale with a pure fantasy aesthetic.I was hoping Monkey Kid might be the one but it appears that won't be the case.

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

This seems very unlikely, but it's possible that LEGO wants this theme to replace Ninjago. Just think about it... Back in 2013, they wanted to replace Ninjago with Chima. That didn't work out as planned, so maybe they are trying it again this year with Monkey Kid. I highly doubt LEGO would have two themes with very similar aesthetics at the same time on shelves unless they intend for one to replace the other. 

Again, it's unlikely, but still a possibility. 

Well yeah, but then they moved Chima into The Ninjago universe.

I hope we get set pictures soon. I think we should say the final verdict after we see official pictures of the sets. 

Just now, Harkonen said:

I hope we get set pictures soon. I think we should say the final verdict after we see official pictures of the sets. 

Agreed. Remember, the logo has nothing to do with sci fi.

44 minutes ago, Harkonen said:

NYTF hopefully will bring something, so I guess it’s just a waiting game.

Please keep in mind that the original novel has a strong focus on religious aspects. Based on the term "monkey kid" I was assuming TLC would focus on the first few chapters in which Wukong fools around with the other monkeys, trys to become immortal, fights with certain demons, shows up at the Dragon King's palace to obtain the pole weapon. This is basically what the mentioned sets by Chinese brand Winner focused on. Enlighten / Qman in turn had a single set reflecting the waterfall where the monkeys live, and the others were about him fighting against certain demons in the later chapters, including the Bull Demon King. The sets were all more or less like mythological sets should be, except two weird vehicles in the Enlighten theme and as far as I recall one weird vehicle for the Winner theme. Enlighten and Winner also had large brick-built mech-type figures, however, the traditional characters can transform, basically growing in size massively. Thus, these mech things aren't non-mythological at all. 

Now, TLC should be well aware of these sets, and I have strong doubts that they would come up with something similar just because those brands could make fun of TLC, stating that it's now them whose ideas are stolen. 

None of the two Chinese brands had focused on the journey itself, with the Buddhist monk, the sand monk, and Zhu Bajie (in fact, there were three other Chinese brands who released corresponding minifigs, but really just minifigs). However, I'm not sure whether TLC would like to come up with a Buddhist monk. I mean, we got a temple fair for Chinese New Year, but there is no temple. It's the entrance to a temple at best. The temple fair also doesn't have to do anything with a real temple fair. They would sell amulets or whatever, but not toy bears. There wouldn't be stalls with tiled roofs. However, two of the stalls resemble those small "towers" (bell tower and drum tower) which can readily be seen inside the temples. Thus, they do refer to certain elements, but it's far away from any religious meaning. 

Changing the context, e.g. switching to a certain sci-fi universe, might well help to solve that issue for the monkey kid theme as well. The characters could still be recognized as what they are in the novel, but they wouldn't be identical. It's also worth a note that it's a bunch of sets. Maybe it starts with the monkey being born, and then being shifted into another era. Or it's really a kid that turns into Monkey King, and fights against certain demons. Maybe the kid has to play different levels, some of these are in a mythological setting, others in a sci-fi setting (in which that bull minifig would fit very well), others take place nowadays. Or it's a complete mess, with some miracle leading to characters from different eras being confronted with each other. In any case, based on the logo, and based on the many sets, I could imagine we get different variants of the main characters. 

Edited by Oederland

13 minutes ago, Oederland said:

however, the traditional characters can transform, basically growing in size massively.

CCBS please, LEGO, I'm dying for constraction figures ever since all the lines got canned...

4 minutes ago, legozebra said:

CCBS please, LEGO, I'm dying for constraction figures ever since all the lines got canned...

Same here!

35 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Yes the fig is from monkey kid 

Thanks for the clarification Falco.

Then it is as I feared we're getting a modernized version of Journey to the West.Hooray :facepalm:

Edited by LOTR34

Just now, LOTR34 said:

Thanks for the clarification Falco.

Then it is as I feared we're getting a modernized version of Journey to the West.Hooray :facepalm:

Yet another anime- inspired theme will cover shelves.

Still looks like a great figure to me, can't just take the full-sci-fi context yet without actual sets.

Looks much better then those gaming-rats from Ninjago to me.

I'd rather have this then Chima heads.

Edited by TeriXeri

Based on the leaked pictures, I have lost 100% of my interest in this theme and it hasn't even been announced yet.

How did we get from a potential Castle/Pirate theme to this?

Glad we have other options for those two themes now.

3 hours ago, leafan said:

Based on the leaked pictures, I have lost 100% of my interest in this theme and it hasn't even been announced yet.

How did we get from a potential Castle/Pirate theme to this?

Glad we have other options for those two themes now.

Same

I expected like temples and tradional chinese settings or something like that. Similar to Adventurers: Orient Expedition.

But it seems this is like Chima. Nexo Knights and (current) Ninjago. 

Do you remember when we thought Nexo Knights was actually a Fantasy Era revival? Well, here we are again :laugh:

I'd love to know if tested these with kids from China

I think that figure is nice and still far too early to make a final conclusion for an entire theme.

But I can understand that it certainly looks "different" , I see it more as Fantasy then Sci-Fi, even with that helmet resembling some breathing apparatus or whatever imagined.

Maybe that's just the way LEGO softens the whole concept of "demon" characters/figures, as there are literally dozens of them in the story.

I'd certainly expect a Bull / Ox themed build , and that it leans toward a structure/temple, and not a wheeled vehicle, but I don't rule out a big Bull form as those characters are known to have multiple forms.

But I guess I'm biased because I actually liked Nexo Knights, but still right now would favor structures.

Maybe the figure is just a side-character minion, similar to how Nexo Knights had many like Ash Attacker, Stone Stomper etc.

The sign on the torso does have similarlities to the Chinese sign of Bull/Ox : 

Edited by TeriXeri

I'm still very much interested. I just wanna pick up the 4 main characters (5 if you count the horse) and if there are any nice builds like a waterfall I might pick it up as well.

About the creatures, I think they might just give characters like the demon bull a few identical minions, might even be the leaked one.

3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Maybe that's just the way LEGO softens the whole concept of "demon" characters/figures, as there are literally dozens of them in the story.

Lego will not out right call them "Demons", but they have used "Devils" before. AS far as actual Demons, monster 4 and the entire first wave of Nexo Knights. 70322_alt8.jpg

3837_alt2.jpg

Edited by Dr.Cogg