Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Sidenote: Even if Clone O patra was a bad mod, he’s not as horrible as the Lego Star wars mods, No wish listing or speculating, it’s a goddamn kids toy thread. Shut your pretentious mouth up lol

Edited by HalfBloodPrince

25 minutes ago, HalfBloodPrince said:

and you don't need to act like a inpatient toddler that can’t wait 4 days for his new set, and i’m saying this to You only because you want another set to wait diagon out which makes you sound ungrateful.  It’s not the end of the world just waiting 2 days for a set in high demand. 

Easy Grumpy Gus...being impatient, even over a kids toy, isn’t a bad thing. Especially a set like DA. And wanting another set in the mean time to distract from the constant refreshing of the tracking page(who does that?!:look:) doesn’t make one ungrateful. 

7 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

Easy Grumpy Gus...being impatient, even over a kids toy, isn’t a bad thing. Especially a set like DA. And wanting another set in the mean time to distract from the constant refreshing of the tracking page(who does that?!:look:) doesn’t make one ungrateful. 

It does though? Carrot Boy is being ungrateful and acting like a spoiled knob, huffing and puffing like a baby wanting another set when his wont arrive for 4 days especially since its high demand, boo hoo, Lil Carrot boy doesn’t like waiting. Shut up

Edited by HalfBloodPrince

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

I’m all the way over on the other coast, but mine is also due to come on the 9th. 

Well, at the end of the Astronomy Tower instructions, it has the Clock Tower connecting to the backside of the Great Hall, with the stained glass being open to a connection point. But there’s also an open connection point next to the greenhouse. I wouldn’t give much to the “leak” because it’s pretty common knowledge that the set, whatever it will be, will connect to the Prefects bathroom. 

I'm not sure if i'm looking at the right picture or not, but in the layout with the clocktower behind the grand hall, isn't the prefects bathroom section between the two therefore leaving no connection points exposed? Correct me if i'm wrong, I could be looking at the wrong layout. But when you say it's common knowledge it will connect to the Prefects bathroom is there a specific reason these points would want to be together or is it just that, that is where a connection point is?

For those discussing moderation and the like: back on topic to LEGO now please.

Repeat spammers get banned. Rude people get a private chat. Do not reply and instead use the report button when you come across either; it keeps this thread pleasant and helps us MODs take action when necessary.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

I'm not sure if i'm looking at the right picture or not, but in the layout with the clocktower behind the grand hall, isn't the prefects bathroom section between the two therefore leaving no connection points exposed? Correct me if i'm wrong, I could be looking at the wrong layout. But when you say it's common knowledge it will connect to the Prefects bathroom is there a specific reason these points would want to be together or is it just that, that is where a connection point is?

Ha...true. I looked briefly at the instructions, then glanced at mine, which I reversed the two parts in the set. I have the “dance floor” connected to the Great Hall, so I have the Prefects bathroom open. :facepalm:

Hope this is alright for this thread; sorry if not. A friend in the states recently asked me where she could get a box of the new minifigs. I don't really pay much attention to shopping over there (mostly because your prices always seem to be better lol; further advantages to low VAT), but seem to recall seeing minifiguremaddness mentioned a number of times lately. Is that where you'd usually go for a box of figs, or is it because of delivery issues with the usual suppliers? (And do you pay customs fees on top of that? And is the VAT refunded?)

Also, does anyone know which store chains carry the blind bags over there (assuming one were willing to risk a run to the shops...)?

2 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

Hope this is alright for this thread; sorry if not. A friend in the states recently asked me where she could get a box of the new minifigs. I don't really pay much attention to shopping over there (mostly because your prices always seem to be better lol; further advantages to low VAT), but seem to recall seeing minifiguremaddness mentioned a number of times lately. Is that where you'd usually go for a box of figs, or is it because of delivery issues with the usual suppliers? (And do you pay customs fees on top of that? And is the VAT refunded?)

Also, does anyone know which store chains carry the blind bags over there (assuming one were willing to risk a run to the shops...)?

So far I’ve only found them in Target. Official stores also have them, provided close ones are open to actually go in, which would probably be the best bet to getting a full box. It couldn’t hurt to ask at Target though. The minifguremaddness is out of the UK. 

2 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

it's important to remember that the layout will completely change next year. The great hall and WW are retiring so they will no longer be included in marketing material. I honestly don't think LEGO cares too much about creating official configurations for Hogwarts. ROR doesn't properly attach anywhere, the moving staircase can't be used when attached to other modules, they've changed the official placement of the Clock Tower, ect. They're just producing recognizable sections of the castle and including some pin holes so they can kind of be connected. 

Is that a fact that they are retiring this year? That will indeed be interesting seeing them drop out of the marketing for the sets.

1 minute ago, Seaber said:

Is the contest only to create a scene of Harry arriving back at Hogwarts in any of the seven ways from the books/films? Not sure I understand, won't that be a very repetitive contest? 

Yes, if I understand it correctly. And probably.

19 minutes ago, Salix said:

Yes, if I understand it correctly. And probably.

So off the top of my head... 

Hogwarts express - Meeting Hermione and Ron, facing the Dementor, meeting Cho, dreaming Voldemort, being attacked by Malfoy. 

As well as Hogwarts Boats, Hogwarts Carriages, Flying car, Ariana's portrait. 

Not a great deal of variety, but I'll give it a go! 

2 hours ago, chris6507 said:

Is that a fact that they are retiring this year? That will indeed be interesting seeing them drop out of the marketing for the sets.

It's not set in stone untill LEGO lists it on S@H but most LEGO sets have a lifespan of 1,5 to 2 years while the Great Hall and Whomping Willow set are getting close to 2,5 so it's at the very least clear that they won't be around for much longer 

Edited by Guyon2002

I must have the patience of a saint, bought DA on release day and it’s still sat in the bag it came in .. I just don’t have the free time at the moment .. I do keep going and having a look at the box though ??

7 minutes ago, Jarreth2 said:

I just don’t have the free time at the moment 

I thought the exact same thing when mine arrived but I ended up treating it the same as my problems surrounding a lack of display space: don't have it? Make some more :tongue:

Edited by Guyon2002

7 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I’m all the way over on the other coast, but mine is also due to come on the 9th. 

Nice! As of this morning FedEx says I might even get it today! I’m losing my mind with anticipation 

6 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

iI honestly don't think LEGO cares too much about creating official configurations for Hogwarts. ROR doesn't properly attach anywhere, the moving staircase can't be used when attached to other modules, they've changed the official placement of the Clock Tower, ect. They're just producing recognizable sections of the castle and including some pin holes so they can kind of be connected. 

There's some interesting information in the Magical Treasury about this. Mark Stafford says that he came up with the idea of the modular Hogwarts early on and he did a really big sketch model that included the Great Hall and Clocktower as the two largest modules and then the kitchens, Gryffindor common room, bridge, walls etc, but the idea was almost dropped until another designer, Raphael, realised the Hogwarts build in his Whomping Willow set would fit nicely on the side of Mark's Great Hall design. The modular idea was then resurrected and Mark included a connection point on the other side of the hall for a future module. Woon Tze later developed Mark's Clocktower design into what we have now and this could then be connected onto that point.

I think what this little snippet of info shows is that A) a modular Hogwarts was not always intended, but more prominently, B) whilst the designers are now working to a modular layout, the pin holes are not intended for the connection of specific modules, it just means that whatever module is released next can be connected to one before if the customer wishes to do so.

I haven’t been on for a while as now Diagon Alley is released, I presumed there’s not many rumours... (I hope people who’ve got it are enjoying it, I’m very jealous haha)

But I log in and what on Earth is going on here?! Guess I shall read 30 pages of discussion I missed...

Edited by sammy_zammy

11 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

I haven’t been on for a while as now Diagon Alley is released, I presumed there’s not many rumours... (I hope people who’ve got it are enjoying it, I’m very jealous haha)

But I log in and what on Earth is going on here?! Guess I shall read 30 pages of discussion I missed...

29 of those pages are people talking about whether their order has shipped, tracking updates and when they got it! Rofl. Or just some of us still complaining our set still hasn't shipped yet! :-D

Edited by chris6507

37 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

I think what this little snippet of info shows is that A) a modular Hogwarts was not always intended, but more prominently, B) whilst the designers are now working to a modular layout, the pin holes are not intended for the connection of specific modules, it just means that whatever module is released next can be connected to one before if the customer wishes to do so.

That's really interesting. Apart from the two 2010/11 Hogwarts sets which could be connected, the rest have either never been able to be connected with connection points (2004 onwards) or were just connected by stacking them (2001-2002). In my memory/mind, past waves were much more inter-connected.

I think the way the modules currently work is great. The 2001-2002 waves featured parts which didn't connect to the main structure (like the Sorting Hat) and you needed to have certain sets to get the correct heights and width to fit the level above. Now it's very much pick whatever sets you want and they'll all fit together however you like. 

1 minute ago, Seaber said:

think the way the modules currently work is great. The 2001-2002 waves featured parts which didn't connect to the main structure (like the Sorting Hat) and you needed to have certain sets to get the correct heights and width to fit the level above. Now it's very much pick whatever sets you want and they'll all fit together however you like. 

Yeah, there were a lot of classroom builds, which were difficult to fit into a larger Hogwarts. Now, everything fits together and is a part of a recognisable part of Hogwarts.

However, this has come at the expensive of being able to have lots of classrooms of different teachers and offices and stuff IMO. And it also makes me wonder how they’d do a Forbidden Corridor / Chamber of Secrets set, although I’m sure they’d figure something out!

8 hours ago, sebastian666 said:

But I’m still not ? sold on the idea that we will get another big section of the castle though...

I think the castle sections are always some of the more keenly anticipated sets, so I’d imagine we’ll get a new section one way or another. That being said, it’ll surely come back on itself now as few people would realistically have the space to display anything larger as a single setup...

in other news, I got my minifig delivery yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to find only 4 doubles out of 14 bags ordered from Shop Home. I wonder if Lego are making a particular effort to try to help us out?! 

13 minutes ago, Seaber said:

I think the way the modules currently work is great. The 2001-2002 waves featured parts which didn't connect to the main structure (like the Sorting Hat) and you needed to have certain sets to get the correct heights and width to fit the level above. Now it's very much pick whatever sets you want and they'll all fit together however you like. 

I agree; the flexibility of the current set up is definitely a strong point. As a child I was not fond of the stacking / separated set up of the first line. The sets were quite revolutionary for their time, but the modular concept is a lot better realised now.