Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

You guys see the Mario GWP’s at lego store today? Hoping there could be something similar for Harry Potter on September 1st

18 minutes ago, Otherworld said:

Does anyone else find it kinda odd how they went out of their way to make a new hair mold for Slug Club Ginny? Even the twins get more screen time and dialogue in those beanies. Perhaps they could use it on a future CoS Ginny? (She has wavy hair in that scene as well)

I was thinking that too. It's one of those obscure variants we talked about a few pages back. I guess they used the CMF Budget to make a new mould, because they can :laugh:  Her hair in CoS is quite wavy but no where near that mould. Not to mention the Burrow Set gave her the original hair, so I guess that's what we'll be getting if she ever shows up in a Cos Set. As for the new mould, it isn't unheard of a mould only ever showing up in a CMF, so who knows, we might see it pop up somewhere else, or might not...

42 minutes ago, Otherworld said:

Does anyone else find it kinda odd how they went out of their way to make a new hair mold for Slug Club Ginny? Even the twins get more screen time and dialogue in those beanies. Perhaps they could use it on a future CoS Ginny? (She has wavy hair in that scene as well)

That's one of the things I dislike from this series. The minifigures are way too specific 

Ginny wearing the Howgarts robe and an interesting accesory would have been more useful. Maybe her patronus spell

Her patronus is a horse, so it could have been a foal new mould made in trans blue

But the minifigure as it is, only works to recreate a single scene out of 8 movies. And a scene where she is just like an extra

12 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

But the minifigure as it is, only works to recreate a single scene out of 8 movies. And a scene where she is just like an extra

True, but it also happens to be a scene that there’s already a set depicting - and many people have expressed the opinion that Ginny is ‘missing’ from that set, so there will be plenty of people who want that minifigure (which is the main thing Lego cares about). 

43 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

That's one of the things I dislike from this series. The minifigures are way too specific 

Ginny wearing the Howgarts robe and an interesting accesory would have been more useful. Maybe her patronus spell

Her patronus is a horse, so it could have been a foal new mould made in trans blue

I feel like scene exclusive figs are good after we get their casual/normal outfits first. I’d more than gladly buy a Ginny fig with the fairly newer black robes.

1 hour ago, Modal said:

You guys see the Mario GWP’s at lego store today? Hoping there could be something similar for Harry Potter on September 1st

We've known about that Mario GWP for months now so I highly doubt there'll be something for Harry Potter come September 1st. If there is a GWP coming this year it'll probably another randomly timed one like the DA one.

53 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Ginny wearing her Hogwarts robes would be a terrible inclusion, a wasted slot. At least we're getting something unique that complements an existing set (and like @Accio Lego said many were upset Ginny was missing from that set).

Ginny in Gryffindor robes would be a waste unless it was to introduce legs that had printing to represent a skirt under the robe (I know it's a small detail, but it does annoy me that they haven't bothered to represent that, especially this year when they've had no problem doing skirt printing for plenty of other characters).

Otherwise we have quite a few Gryffindor robe variations already.

But not everyone got that set. For all the people who didn't buy that set that Ginny minifigure is.... well, I won't go as far as saying useless, but the appeal is very limited. Maybe the new hairpiece saves her a little bit

I'd have switched her with Draco in that set. Draco in that outfit appears in a lot of scenes in HBP and DH. So he would fit better as a CMF I think. That would also add another antagonist for the CMF, because only Bellatrix out of 16 is very unbalanced.

I mean 25% of the CMF wave are Weasleys

Edited by Robert8

Just now, Robert8 said:

I mean 25% of the CMF wave are Weasleys

Ron is pretty much obligatory and Ginny, Fred and George (regardless of their outfits) are some of the most requested characters from the last 2 years. I really don't see the problem here, if you don't like them just don't buy them

6 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Ginny wearing her Hogwarts robes would be a terrible inclusion, a wasted slot

They still haven’t done the robes over light gray skirt type, and that paired up with the CoS hair would look fantastic. Of course, that variant could still appear in future sets as opposed to her slug club variant with the exception of an AC (which at this point I hope is Hogsmeade themed, not party) But I’m sure that they wouldn’t nail her uniform in a set like they would in the CMF.

Anyway, I’m not complaining, I’ll take any Ginny and I’m happy she appeared in this series.

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

if you don't like them just don't buy them

I'll do whatever I want. Thanks

9 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Ron is pretty much obligatory and Ginny, Fred and George (regardless of their outfits) are some of the most requested characters from the last 2 years. I really don't see the problem here, if you don't like them just don't buy them

I agree, by far the biggest complaint of the reboot has been “not enough Weasleys”, myself included. Their inclusions (especially since they’re all obscure variants) is perfect in my opinion. That in addition to The Burrow, and possibly Diagon Alley, and I’d say TLG has listened and given us what we wanted: more Weasleys, even multiple variants. I hope the Weasleys keep coming

Honestly, Ginny SHOULD have been in the AT. Feels like she was just removed from it to make an extra buck.

Regarding the debate over the CMF figure selections, it’s apparent to me that LEGO chooses figures that will enhance the perceived value and playability of the existing Harry Potter sets. With one notable exception, each and every one of the figures in this CMF wave can fit perfectly into a scene that revolves around a currently available set.

That exception - Griphook with the sword of Gryffindor the key to the Gringott’s vaults - is extremely exciting to me because I can see him fitting perfectly into an Escape from Gringott’s set with the Ukrainian Ironbelly dragon in 2021. As poor Griphook gets toasted to death by the dragon in that scene, he would never be included in a LEGO set based on it. Similar to poor Cedric (who didn’t fit neatly in an existing set in 2018) from the CMF series 1 who fit perfectly in the Rise of Voldemort set that come out the next year.

I’m curious to hear what other folks think about this. Do you think LEGO plans that far ahead with CMF selections? I know there are also other considerations to make a successful blind bag series (like including a couple lame figures so kids keep buying more to get the figures they really want), but I wonder how much advance notice they have on future sets.

3 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

As poor Griphook gets toasted to death by the dragon in that scene, he would never be included in a LEGO set based on it. 

You made a small mistake here. Bogrod is the goblin who got toasted by the Ironbelly, Griphook was killed by Voldemort at Malfoy Manor

14 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

You made a small mistake here. Bogrod is the goblin who got toasted by the Ironbelly, Griphook was killed by Voldemort at Malfoy Manor

Oops! I knew one of those little guys got killed. Maybe this is a sign we will get Malfoy Manor next year too!

15 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

That exception - Griphook with the sword of Gryffindor the key to the Gringott’s vaults - is extremely exciting to me because I can see him fitting perfectly into an Escape from Gringott’s set with the Ukrainian Ironbelly dragon in 2021. As poor Griphook gets toasted to death by the dragon in that scene, he would never be included in a LEGO set based on it. Similar to poor Cedric (who didn’t fit neatly in an existing set in 2018) from the CMF series 1 who fit perfectly in the Rise of Voldemort set that come out the next year.

I agree about the possibililty of a Gringotts Escape set next year rather than spending lots of pieces from Diagon Alley on a dragon for the D2C. But I think it's more likely that there's a repeat of Griphook with a slightly different facial expression just like Dobby this year, although if the (very speculative) set came with unique goblins that would be much more valuable! 

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The patronus idea sounds amazing to me but I think in this example I actually prefer the Slub Club variant we're getting than her in a Hogwarts robe, as I've actually ended up really liking the Harry, Hermione and Luna Slug Club figures and look forward to displaying another figure with them. Also it is quite easy to customise a uniformed Ginny minifigure - I made a First Year Ginny with her 2010 head and hair and short legs which actually fits really well next to the younger versions of the trio! 

49 minutes ago, strangely said:

Ginny in Gryffindor robes would be a waste unless it was to introduce legs that had printing to represent a skirt under the robe (I know it's a small detail, but it does annoy me that they haven't bothered to represent that, especially this year when they've had no problem doing skirt printing for plenty of other characters).

Otherwise we have quite a few Gryffindor robe variations already.

Ok, on the other hand if Lego had included a skirt print that would work with the Hogwarts jumpers that would have been amazing! It's a shame that wasn't used in the Room of Requirement where it could have worked for both Luna and Hermione. 

I’m kinda shocked about all this outrage over Ginny. I think she’s a worthwhile inclusion especially with how bad they botched her in The Burrow, this is way more screen accurate. Even the twins are fun minifigs with unique prints. I think the ones I personally could have lived without was Bellatrix because you really can’t put her in any of the sets and Neville because you already have plenty of student robes. But still a phenomenal selection all around and amazing accessories like Sword of Gryffindor, Fawkes, and Butter Beer. Think they’ll do a third wave down the line to fill in some of the noticeable absences like Pomfrey and Karakaroff. Still think we’ll definitely get Lucius and Lockhart in Diagon Alley, and I’m still wagering that WWW is included as well. I imagine Diagon Alley is going to be a very colorful set like Ninjago City so leaving the Purple and Orange aesthetic out would be a huge letdown. I’m not even the biggest fan of the later films, but WWW is such an iconic and unique design, it would be kind of disappointing without it.

Edited by RODDY

I've got no outrage over Ginny personally, very happy to have her. Whilst I do think she should have been in the AT set directly I can see @sebastian666's point having a look back at the prior CMF. Malfoy for the quidditch team is very clearly a similiar situation as Ginny in this one. 

As for whether CMF's are planned for sets I'm not sure. But there are definitely a lot more sets that CMF1 directly relate to now than when it was released. Luna for Hogwarts Express, Cedric for Graveyard Battle, Neville for whatever the plants area is (Mind blank). So who knows. Could just be coincidence with these ones, or when they made the future sets they just thought well, we already have that character! :-D

3 minutes ago, RODDY said:

I personally could have lived without was Bellatrix because you really can’t put her in any of the sets

I hadn’t even thought about that until now, it’s true, because I doubt we’ll ever get an Azkaban set, unless it’s a small Sirius breakout set, I doubt it’d be a full scale set, unless it’s like the Tower of Orthanc (which personally I would love), she’s a pretty useless character except for display, but then so are James and Lily (who are 2 of my absolute faves of this series)

7 minutes ago, RODDY said:

I think the ones I personally could have lived without was Bellatrix because you really can’t put her in any of the sets

Even though you can’t put Bellatrix in a specific set, she greatly enhances the Burrow set, because she features a new Bellatrix face print which can be swapped out for the horrible Mantis face that she comes with.

9 minutes ago, RODDY said:

I think the ones I personally could have lived without was Bellatrix because you really can’t put her in any of the sets.

To me though, that's what the CMF is all about. They are "Collectible Minifigures" They should be minifigures that you aren't going to get anywhere else and are something special. If they are all just minifigures designed for sets, then what is special about them? They should have just come in a set! Personally I think there are too many that feel just like additional set pieces. That's what accessory packs are for.

Just now, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Just noticed, but does anyone else find it odd that Harry in the series has a reddish-brown wand as opposed to his signature dark brown?

It’s just one of those weird inconsistencies this reboot has had. No big deal, I have so many extra wands I’ll just swap it out, I’ve already swapped out so many incorrect wand colors

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth