sirslayer

[TMC1] Lego Technic 8081 "Black Widow" AWD

This is my 8081 entry of this excellent set the Lego Technic 8081 and my mod is based off from Nissan Titan full size pickup truck .  My mod feature:

All wheel drive with 3 Diffs for full time AWD

4 wheel independent suspension (front axles are independent with limited live axle) 

2 speed Hi/Low transmission 

Fake V-6 rated at 3.0 liters @ 400 horsepower

Optional brush guard , tow package and winch 

HOG on steering wheel 

2 door that seats 5 people , front seat slides forward and reclines and door haves simple latches to close 

Step side 

Tailgate that opens and closes

Adjustable side mirrors

81mm tires

Ill upload a video when the weather gets better!!

49279711701_8cb9fc14fc_k.jpgLego Technic 8081 TMC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49279711816_6cbd60b6d8_k.jpgLego Technic 8081 TMC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49279235503_8fdb151446_k.jpgLego Technic 8081 TMC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49279711616_57ab668ca1_k.jpgLego Technic 8081 TMC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49279914547_7ea89b3bdd_k.jpgLego Technic 8081 TMC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49279914522_4546acd932_k.jpgLego Technic 8081 TMC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49279711496_5064ffa1e0_k.jpgLego Technic 8081 TMC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49279235318_076da8ffef_k.jpgLego Technic 8081 TMC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49279914332_dd576f149a_k.jpgLego Technic 8081 TMC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49279936907_24d17ba687_k.jpgLego technic 8081TMC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Any questions or feedback would be nice to hear from you..  Thank you 

Edited by sirslayer
update

Looks great! Judging the photos, it looks like the rear axle and suspension is not properly fixed in place. Is it stable enough?

@emielroumen thank you and yes the rear suspension is stable..   The picture I've uploaded does look like its uneven but its just the snow causing the uneven surface.   Ill upload a video when I get some time..  I have a video of the suspension before I locked the rear independent from limited live axle just to rear independent..  The reason ive done is that before the rear suspension was just a mirror of the front suspension and the issue was that the body roll was to sensitive.  Moving the springs down to per wheel hub kept the rear suspension without the limited live axle support .. I do have a video with the old rear axle setup and It was just the body roll was the concern.. 

Here are some more pics of the rear and front and even the rear hub!!    

One thing I learned is that the number 0937 spells Lego when you flip it upside down and man!! I need to clean up the dirt off my model  :( !!! 

49281114017_14b67e477d_k.jpgLego Technic 8081TMC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49280430108_eb45ec32aa_k.jpgLego Technic 8081TMC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49280906256_afa553fd7c_k.jpgLego Technic 8081TMC by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Edited by sirslayer

2 hours ago, sirslayer said:

@emielroumen thank you and yes the rear suspension is stable..   The picture I've uploaded does look like its uneven but its just the snow causing the uneven surface.   Ill upload a video when I get some time..  

Thanks for the response. Great that it works fine in real life!

@emielroumen You are correct about the rear support!!  It's a simple fix!!  I would only apply the fix if I evered motorized my model ,(the contest doesn't allow it)  sliding a 5x7 frame between the diff and the "wishbone arms" would give it the extra support.. the worst case scenario, the back wheel would move over just one stud over...  

Just did a short video on some of the features of my model.  I also added the 5x7 frame to support the axles from sliding around and a hood strut to keep the hood open .. In a weeks time i'll post more add on you can mount on my model.. please post any questions or concerns .   

This is an example of my 2 speed hi/lo transmission. The transmission has an integrated center differential output and it only takes up 8 studs by 3 studs by 5 studs of space.. The motor input is at the top row represented by the gray color 16 tooth gear.  Not to brag ... I weighted out all the axles and gears on a scale to insure a proper balance and fitness of my transmission design.. 

49291294817_6c4c8d3758_b.jpgIMG_20191222_133617559 by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Edited by sirslayer

Nice pickup with a lot of functions (AWD, door locks, sliding front seats, adjustable side mirrors, openable tailgate, winch, etc.). That truck is a clear departure from the designs you presented earlier. The usage and placement of the old-style diffs is very interesting. Would you mind creating a digital model of the drive train?

I like the front lights design very much - looks modern and harmonic with the wheel arches. Although the front window frame is a little bent at the top, it gives it an organic look. Hey, did you maybe miss the rear mirror there? I find the brush guard a little too massive, those axle/pin connectors are too thick IMO - similar to the roll bar in @Thirdwigg's pickup - but that's only my opinion. :classic:

What parts did you use for the hood strut? I don't seem to know these parts.

I assume you need the housing around the front and rear diffs for bracing them, but that could also make problems when going off-road. Imagine the truck crosses a rock that fits between front and rear wheels, depending on the height of the rock, the truck could get stuck more easily than with a design with more clearance there. But yeah, space is limited in that scale.

@johnnym Thank you and yes, I can create an digital layout of the drivetrain.. Just give me a day or two..  Oddly, this model was based off from my early designs and I do have the blue and red color fenders and believe me, the red fenders look great on this current model but the orange color Corvette issues still haunts me and the red color fenders are just like the Corvette orange fenders , i'll be safe and stay with the color black!! (Have I every mention to you, That the color technic black weighs less then the other technic colors)..   The odd layout of the rear and front differential is to fit the into the 13 stud wide independent suspension and I manage to design a working model out of it..  This is new territory for the LEGO set 8081 challenge, If you ever done a Google search with the keywords "LEGO 8081 mod". You'll see at least 7 years + of some of the greatest mods for the 8081 and to be original on a mod design would be a challenge..  The front window on my mod had a major revamp due to a new function I wanted to use . the single bladed "windshield wiper" mechanics was to large and i'll use it on another project. The rear view mirror has a spot to be mounted and i haven't found the ideal brick.. the brush guard is just an option and the strut element is packaged on this LEGO set, https://brickset.com/sets/60107-1/Fire-Ladder-Truck .  The 3 diff chassis is unique and I believe the huge gap on the bottom of the chassis between the axles can be filled with motors or even better, skid plates !! 

60107-1: Fire Ladder Truck

60107-1.jpg?201511230710

49297613701_b6e7044b78_k.jpgLego Technic 8081 mod by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Holes, holes, holes everywhere.

LEGO Technics models can have great mechanical functions in detail but at a cost of having unrealistic cosmetic appearance.  A building technique called SNOT (Studs Not On Top) can be implemented on LEGO technic beams and lift arms. LEGO technic part # 4274 1/2 pins are one of the smallest technics elements..  and you can use these parts by inserting them onto your liftarms (or any technic hole) and using any Lego tiles of your color and size.. For example I'm using a black color 1x 9 tile, the tile you should be looking for are very thin and it can make any technic model into a Leader class creation..  

49297613866_eb587f9c21_k.jpgLego Technic 8081 mod by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Catalog: Parts: Technic, Pin: 4274  
Technic, Pin 1/2
Item No: 4274
dot.gif Light Bluish Gray

4274.t1.png
4274.png
14974.t1.png
Color Images
3D/Lrg Images

Lego Technic, Pin 1/2

49297812707_65c62c6a7d_k.jpgLego Technic 8081 mod by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49297613836_583a7fb823_k.jpgLego Technic 8081 mod by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49307241657_2a357f03cc_k.jpg(TMC) Lego Technic 8081 mod by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Studio 2.0 

Chassis *.io file should be available https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=116796 and check out the 3d renders of the 3 diff setup and the outputs and inputs are left out.. (im still learning the program.) Ill have more coming soon.

49319610172_13f2bb6a8a_k.jpgLEGO Technic 8081 mod by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

49319610377_bc382f59f0_k.jpgLEGO Technic 8081 mod by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

The red arrows goes to wheel and an optional PTO. The chassis is designed to be used on 13 wide stud axles drivetrain 

Edited by sirslayer

Finally!!!!  after a few weeks on using Studio 2.1, I have managed to finish the Black Widow pickup truck, this link will send you to the model home page and you can even view the model in 3-d!!! I have a few issues I still need to resolve , like the u-joints which I can't figure on how to bend them and the same for the rubber hose that makes the bottom part of the windshield . This version of the Black Widow features:

4 wheel steering

touch screen on dash and steering wheel 

Glove box

2021 model has a new design on front grill and head lamps and the chassis is an all original design by me!!

I believe its free to download.. please If you have a comment , please feel free to ask!! 

@rm8 Your chariot is ready!!!               

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=119808   

49422434386_65e892488b_k.jpgLego Technic by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Edited by sirslayer

The Black Widow on 68.8mm ?? tires, 

Wearing the rims and tires from Lego set 8682.. I never knew this set existed till I won the set on Ebay, last week!! Interesting model and how it compare in size. Next week I will do a comparison between the Black Widow and the Lego 8081 Extreme Cruiser. 

49432287798_03ca94f339_k.jpglego technic 8682 vs my 8081 mod by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

@Maaboo35I found my model on the ground and I think my cat knock it over..   Very good observation !!!  and yes a better solution is all ready on my Studio file. I haven't updated the physical model since I'm planning to to take apart my model to be used on the upcoming Eurobricks contest..   The advantage on using a 3d model is you never run out of parts!!!! So any more updates will be in digital format.

49449070918_f992cd635c_b.jpgIMG_20200127_043914703 by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

We both miss you, Vanessa!!! from Victor and Smudge 

A quick comparison of the Lego 8081 front suspension vs Black Widow front suspension 

The Lego Technic 8081 original front suspension mod.  This mod mimics the build and adds a wheel hub in a 13 wide frame. Not only it's supports an independent suspension setup with drive. The springs at max compression turns on the 2nd features that transform the independent suspension to limited live axle suspension with Max travel.

2.0 Exoskeleton release 

You can download the Black Widow 2.0 exoskeleton (new chassis) Studio file for free or just view it in 3d from Bricklink.com link below

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=122661

49505129676_3f194856bf_o.jpg8081boss_Copy by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Edited by sirslayer

Black Widow 2.0 Exoskeleton Can you tell the difference between 2.0 vs 8081!!??  Will the real slim shady stand up!!

Edited by sirslayer

The Black Widow 2,0 is my 2021 AD model which features all the functions from version 1.0 plus 4 wheel steering and new compact chassis that can be used as a direct replacement of the Lego set 8081 chassis and keeping the original body style of a v4 cruiser 2 door off road vehicle with independent suspension and big balloon tires. I believe this is a legit mod for the Lego set 8081 this is my best 8081 chassis mod ever!!

49505354632_8325ea1aa4_o.jpg8081boss_Copy by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Bricklink link 

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=122661