Fenghuang0296

Chinese New Year’s Sets 2020 - Rumours and Discussion

The Chinese Temple Fair is back in stock at Lego online (in the U.S.).  It's listed as Backorder (as is the Lion Dance set).

Edited by wooster

I’m not sure if it’s a right place to post... I really like Chinese New Year sets. I got both Lion Dance and Temple Fair. It’s amazing! But I am wondering - would it be possible we wold get differnet cultural celebration (for example, Mexico’s Day of the Dead, etc) so that may be sold well? 

10 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I’m not sure if it’s a right place to post... I really like Chinese New Year sets. I got both Lion Dance and Temple Fair. It’s amazing! But I am wondering - would it be possible we wold get differnet cultural celebration (for example, Mexico’s Day of the Dead, etc) so that may be sold well? 

It is always possible, but they need to judge worldwide demand and also balance any religious aspect to it. They do the rather secular Easter sets but avoid any Christianity in them, they do Thanksgiving, Halloween, and so on.

4 hours ago, MAB said:

It is always possible, but they need to judge worldwide demand and also balance any religious aspect to it. They do the rather secular Easter sets but avoid any Christianity in them, they do Thanksgiving, Halloween, and so on.

The LEGO Group has been pushing hard to get into the Chinese market, hence these Chinese New Year and Monkey Kid sets.  So there is a sales motive behind this theme too.  I'm not saying Mexico isn't a market that should be targeted, but obviously China is a bigger one.

7 hours ago, MAB said:

Yeah I agree. I always appreciate cultural stuffs like Chinese New Year and Day of the Dead etc. it would be really cool to have cultural lego sets (not religion involved, of course). 

10 hours ago, MAB said:

Yes, there are Thanksgiving, Halloween, and Easter sets. However, Chinese New Year sets has the widest appeal out of them all. I appreciate them doing CNY sets and I really hope that they will continue in the future. Just a shame Dragon Dance wasn't Available in the US because it's a great set and perhaps my favorite out of them all. 80105 is definitely a great set as well.

6 hours ago, wooster said:

The LEGO Group has been pushing hard to get into the Chinese market, hence these Chinese New Year and Monkey Kid sets.  So there is a sales motive behind this theme too.  I'm not saying Mexico isn't a market that should be targeted, but obviously China is a bigger one.

Indeed, so they have a high worldwide demand. Many western cities also have a Chinatown and so the festivities seem familiar. I don't know what the demand for a Day of the Dead festival would be as it is not as widespread here, I've never seen one (outside of movies and TV).

I just come to realize - I’m wondering if there will be new Chinese New Year sets for 2021? From waht I see, I don’t see anything online when October is almost here. I’m assuming there may not go happening.

3 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I just come to realize - I’m wondering if there will be new Chinese New Year sets for 2021? From waht I see, I don’t see anything online when October is almost here. I’m assuming there may not go happening.

Two are rumoured, 80106 for $80 and 80107 for $120 :wink:

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Awesome, thank you!!! :) 

5 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

And I can imagine a "Year of the Ox" promotion to go with it :snicker:

3 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

It looks like the pic of  Ox guy is out!

Yes. It looks cool, right?

Also, more pics of the 2021 sets are out. We have a new thread to talk about them: