Sign in to follow this  
kahir88

Book III Challenge IV: Tick-Tock

There is a small, noisy workshop, near the small town, in Avalonia. The owner saw a lot of winters, he is a professional clockmaker. He already does thousands of custom ordered clocks. He learned this profession, from the gnomes of Kaliphlin, and perfect it with wonderful elven woodcarving technics from Avalonia. Every masterpiece is unique. Many great houses already have at least one of his works. The workshop is a little mess, but he knows his ways in the chaos. The floor is littered with wood chips from the carving, gears, springs… even a half-eaten sandwich is hiding somewhere in the corner. We can see his current project.

48962083188_3d336e4095_z.jpg

This will be a gift to Queen Ylsphet. This clock not only shows time, but with every Tick, a king shows up, and with every Tock, a queen shows up instead. Every figure is hand-carved out of wood, and hand-painted, by the old clockmaker.

48962083228_de8afb7d16_c.jpg

48962815707_42d7be0036_c.jpg

48962815762_1f8c7bd11d_c.jpg

Also, this is build got motions too:

Spoiler

Spoiler

The build is 18*8 wide. I made a little math, and 12*12=144 and 18*8=144 too.

I tried to put many crowns in this build, can you count them all?

Edited by kahir88

Very cool and intelligent mechanics. 

I like the color scheme, but I would recommend some bolder color to stand out. 

It's a great design for the coming holiday-Christmas time, and I'd love to see it with mixes of white, red and green. 

The roof is great! And I totally admire how you furnished the interior. 

Nice build, mate.

This build is amazing.  In addition to having a lot of great detail, the mechanical motion is spectacular.  I would disagree with the others about more color, too.  I have an old cuckoo clock from Germany that is hand carved out of wood that looks very similar to this build, and it is entirely brown, save for the figures that come out and spin around on the hour.  So from a realistic perspective, I think it really fits the bill.  Because of the low contrast, however, a little more light may help the photography to pop more detail.  I think this is one of my favorite builds in quite a while.  Great job!

I love that you managed to show both the scene of the clock being made, and a detailed clock itself in such a limited footprint. And it's mechanized too! Great job! 

Well done capturing the clutter of a clock maker's workspace, and the function definitely takes the whole scene up a level :thumbup: