Hi, I recently got contacted by the main boys, and now I'll be exhibiting my FastBale at AgriTechnica in Hanover next month.

They want some basic information, like the amount of hours put into it and part count

How does everyone else estimate the part count for their MOCs? Is there a rule of thumb?

Since I always build a digital copy of all my MOCs, the software keeps track of my partscount...

I would not know how to do an estimate, only thing I know is that in a MOC, the partscount is usually higher compared to a similar official model.

Edit: at LEGO World I saw a lot of MOCs with a partscount mentioned as 'a lot' or 'enough'...:laugh: Seems you are not the only one to struggle with this...

Edited by Rudivdk

If you can weigh your model, it probably is quite indicative of the part count. Unless it's a very big model, you can compare it to official sets and try to account for motors and other exceptionally heavy parts, and get a ballpark estimate on the part count.

Maybe you can weigh some parts, some different parts (technic, plates, bricks and stuff) and take the average weight.
Than you can weigh your model and share the weight to the average weight of a 'brick' and than you have an indication.
Well, it's not really accurate but ... it's just a thought.

I don't think there is any way to get a good estimate of parts in a MOC, there are just too many variables at play. Even with weight, you can have lots of parts that don't weigh much, or a few that weigh a lot, which would skew your results. Same thing goes with dimensions. Given how the MOC in question is not only big but also almost solid, I'd guess at least 6000 parts, possibly more.

If you have time to make second copy and then turn it apart on one pile and then count parts is the only 100 accurate way if you do not use ldd or similar...

8 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Given how the MOC in question is not only big but also almost solid, I'd guess at least 6000 parts, possibly more.

+1, if you do not have the posibility to get a more accurate count I would just put '6000+ parts'.

Alright, thanks for the answers guys, seems like I'd have to make a digital version to get an accurate count.

I reckoned about 5-6000 pieces my self as well. There are a lot of small pieces there and bricks and plates do add up surprisingly fast