Sign in to follow this  
Henry 991

Big Boy and layout in LEGO show

We participated a LEGO show in Helsinki today. Please find below a couple of pictures from our layout.

Local LEGO show - our mini layoutLocal LEGO show - our mini layout

We didn’t quite have the time to finish the surface layer of the scenery, but although incomplete, we were proud to put the setup up for the show.

It contains a mountain scenery inspired by Southern California railroads. The Big Boy and other train equipment is built from BMR and BrickTrainDepot plans.

With my son, we started doing LEGO trains 12 months ago so this was our first show ever!

We are now thinking about the ambition for next year. Should we have 2-3 additional modules? Our make a circle so that we could run the trains? Any ideas?

Edited by Henry 991

Make a circle so that you can run the trains.  In my experience, motion gains you more attention because children find anything that moves far more interesting than anything else.  My guess is your visitors this show were mostly adults - you get an audience with a wider age range with motion of any kind.  Tracks are also an important beginning to any layout - if you get 2 full circles of track you can then build additional modules on those - otherwise you may make modules but not have a full circle - this way you can have both!  Anyway, great design and looking forward to seeing more in the coming year(s)!  

Edited by Vilhelm22

That looks really great, I love all the detail.

Two suggestions in case you keep it a static display, first, if you double the length, reverse the direction of the rear train and have them "passing" so that visitors can see both engines from a given side. Second suggestion is to add stationary motion by motorizing the wheels (either lifting the drivers 1 plate above the track if self propelled or putting a dynamometer below the wheels to drive them from the track (like this... if you imagine the wheels turning while being driven by a m-motor turning pulley wheels built in the tracks below).

Thanks a lot for the encouraging feedback!

After sleeping on this for a couple of nights, here is the plan.

Our first development priority will be to complete the 3 existing modules with surface texture. I’d like to finish them just to get experience from making a 3D hill with plates and bricks.

Then, we might continue by making 2-3 additional modules to balance the scenery with another hill and to get a longer track. It would then be 10-12 of 32-stud baseplates long.

What I’m not very fond of in the current layout, is that the track spacing is only 12 studs, not 16. 16 studs would have not been practical as the parallel tracks would have eaten too much of the hill part. 64 studs of building depth is not all that much.

I’m already thinking of a longer term semi-permanent layout in larger dimension. I’d like to make it bi-level. What is your experience, with friction tires (I have on each engines’ traction wheels), can the locomotives pull gradients of 3%, or should I settle with 2.5%? I’ll have approximately 5 meters of free straight on the wall. With 3%, the track could climb over itself in 5 meters.

Best, Henry

4 hours ago, Henry 991 said:

I’m already thinking of a longer term semi-permanent layout in larger dimension. I’d like to make it bi-level. What is your experience, with friction tires (I have on each engines’ traction wheels), can the locomotives pull gradients of 3%, or should I settle with 2.5%? I’ll have approximately 5 meters of free straight on the wall. With 3%, the track could climb over itself in 5 meters.

Best, Henry

The less gradient, the better in my opinion. This engine is somewhat prone to gear slippage when under heavy loads (such as the case when you have multiple dimensional switches of gear driven axles). Under heavy, heavy load, my personal engine starts to "complain" and the gears start popping out of contact. 

-Jeffinslaw