Paperinik77pk

A tribute to Lego trains - MOC Lego 112 (and 113) XXL

Hi all,

Two days ago I was wondering how many blind red train wheels I have around - since I do not use them very much, there's plenty of them around! Playing a bit with them - I made for pure coincidence a combination of an XL blind wheel with a regular XL train wheel...result is a very "fat" train wheel that was just what I needed for my XXL trains (normal 4,5v and 12v trains with all dimensions multiplied by 2 , and running on 45mm G gauge track). I don't know if anyone else tried this thing before - if it is someone else's original idea - it is equally fine for me! :laugh:

All my XXL trains resemble the real models, but wheels are too thin , and the overall look suffers from this problem. It could be an opportunity to have more original-looking XXL trains.:wink:

So I decided to try this fat wheel on the model that started all the Lego Eisenbahn world, the iconic 112 - the first and the strongest of them all. It's only a design in LDD, but a prototype is quite ready (with wrong colors :grin:)

112XXLmotor

It's as simple as the original one - my goal was to keep it affordable (On BrickLink - without motor, wheels and shipping - shopping cart is around 35 Euros) and open to multiple options.

112XXLmotor_4

Inside the fake battery box there's a lot of room. This means that nearly any real battery box (from 4,5v to PuP) can be fitted inside. The two white "dots" you see in the dark part are holes to fit headlights.

112XXLmotor_open

Chassis is simple, easily adaptable to fit a large variety of motors and there's some room to implement a different gear ratio - currently is 1:1 - I thought this around an M-Motor with standard infrared remote.

112XXLmotor_2

Unlike the motor chassis used on my G-Scale Toy train, all wheels are driven by gears and not using connecting rods, since the 112 did not have any.

112XXLmotor_3

Want to put a smoke generator? it's ready to accept it - it is only needed to create an internal support and decide how to power the smoke generator. The open hole near the cabin is to fit the Infrared Remote - it can be covered if not needed. There's also the possibility to totally open the hole and use the standard switch from PF motor set 8293 (emulating the real 4,5v battery box lever). In that case there would be no remote control, but the original feeling of vintage "battery operated train" will increase at its maximum! :grin:

So having created the design of the 112 locomotive...why do not go further and create a rendering of the 113 whole train?

113WagonXXL113WagonXXL_3

Coupling is quite the same as my G-Scale Toy train Moc, but a bit adapted (even the real 113 has specific hook couplers) . The red parts at the front and rear of locomotive and wagons try to replicate the real couplers of the early blue era, but work fine also as round buffers.

113WagonXXL_2

Wagons roof can be removed, eventually some seats could be added. For sure lights in the passenger wagon would be a good feature. This train seems the right size for Early 70s Maxifigs!!!

This train can run on 600mm Curve radius for 45mm track, but there could be the possibility to run it on standard Lego track too. For sure couplers will need some modifications, and it will require a specifically designed track with large use of flexible elements (like my early XXL trains).

All in all, despite being an easy design on LDD, I'm pretty happy of the fat wheels - this is opening an entire world of models that can be rebuilt in XXL style (starting with the Motor Ideas book 242) :wub:

I  hope you like it!!!

Ciao! Davide

112 was long before my time, but this is nostalgic nonetheless. It's amazing how many options for lights and motorization become available when you build in a large scale like this!

The rendering of the whole convoy is gorgeous ...very nice new project! 

6 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

There's also the possibility to totally open the hole and use the standard switch from PF motor set 8293 (emulating the real 4,5v battery box lever). In that case there would be no remote control, but the original feeling of vintage "battery operated train" will increase at its maximum! :grin:

Lol :rofl:

Hi Davide,

Your Lego-G-scale approach is so radically different from mine, yet I love your creations nevertheless (or perhaps just because of that).
Now that's another cutie! :thumbup:
Have you thought about equipping your XXL trains with figures? I haven't measured it, but perhaps Technic or Homemaker figures would fit?

13 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

On BrickLink - without motor, wheels and shipping - shopping cart is around 35 Euros

*oh2* (Envy!!!!!)   :wink:

Btw: The renders are impressively realistic!

Edited by Tenderlok

21 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

112 was long before my time, but this is nostalgic nonetheless. It's amazing how many options for lights and motorization become available when you build in a large scale like this!

Thank you for the comment! Today I was working on the prototype, and I could see that the real locomotive can fit either two 4,5v light bricks, two 9v lights connected by 9v wires, or PF/PuP led lights. Motors I tried to fit include the 4,5v Technic Motor, the 9v Motor and Medium PF/PuP motors. The 4,5v and 9v require a bit of work on the gear ratio, but they fit inside the body. Battery boxes I tried are the original gray 4,5v battery box, the PF AA and the PF/PuP AAA battery boxes.

It is quite fun to play with these options!!! I wonder how the 4,5v motor could perform under load (probably it would be too much for the little beast) :laugh:

16 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Brilliant!

16 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Sweet.  Would look good on blue colored G-scale track.  :classic:

Thanks to all!!! :thumbup::classic:

17 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

The rendering of the whole convoy is gorgeous ...very nice new project! 

Lol :rofl:

Thank you for your supportive comments!

Today I found out that the body of the locomotive was quite weak on some points, then I re-did it from scratch, starting from what I could try on the real thing :laugh:

112basicv

Chassis is now different, the motor emulates the 4,5V original motor, lamps "windows" are now reversed to resemble the old 1x1 lamps, there's a fixed support for the smoke generator and I added an interior to the cabin to make it more "refined".

The parts I used as buffers are really expensive and rare in red - I preferred to use curved plate parts (same function and more availability).

112XXLmotor2

I used the original parts of the PF motor set 8293 (the reversing switch goes immediatly in front of the red topped lever, but it is not in LDDs library, so it's not represented). The yellow lever is the main on/off switch and just sticks out in the cabin, like old Hornby trains.

The locomotive is now the real  big copy of the original 112. No digital features, only pure, analogic mechanics!:grin_wub:

112XXLmotor

20190721_221317

In case, it is sufficient to add the Sbrick module to make it more "modern". :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by Paperinik77pk

10 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

Hi Davide,

Your Lego-G-scale approach is so radically different from mine, yet I love your creations nevertheless (or perhaps just because of that).
Now that's another cutie! :thumbup:
Have you thought about equipping your XXL trains with figures? I haven't measured it, but perhaps Technic or Homemaker figures would fit?

*oh2* (Envy!!!!!)   :wink:

Btw: The renders are impressively realistic!

Hi Sven! Yes it is a lot different approach!

I love your work on G-Scale trains, and It's a constant inspiration to me (I have to admit - one if my works in progress has been heavily influenced by your solution for the round boiler :laugh:).

What I like to create are basically toys. I like old tin toys, the whole 60s and 70's Lego production, wooden trains and so on. This big scale is particularly satisfying since I want a train in a new garden, but I want it to be completely built by me (I'll try also to build something in wood and plasticard one day :wub:). Simple and straight like the toys of the past, 

Even if my other experiments in G-Scale are getting more refined, they are keeping the same simple design. One thing I'm trying to implement is the use of standard and common parts, to reduce price of the models. They must be easy to build, affordable, sturdy and compatible.

Figures are a nice idea - I was thinking about the Maxifigs or the Miniland figures, but I think they will be a bit too big. Nonetheless, these 60s trains were completely out of any possible scale - so it could work! :laugh:

Thanks again!!!

Davide

Hi all! After some months,  the 112 XXL is now built in real bricksand ready to run! :sweet:

Here it is in the new garden, it was cold, dark and pretty wet. The track was laid on the grass directly, and it was really irregular.

I therefore chose a slow gear ratio, since  the fast one was really too much for this kind of situation.

20191101_191731

20191101_191803

20191101_195818

And here's a video of the 112 in action!!!

First ride in the wet garden ?

The 112 is powered by an XL motor, which has the perfect torque to pull heavy loads,as the original model. In some cases, with really heavy load (stones), I experienced some wheel slipping. I therefore came back to the original solution to improve traction....rubber bands! Or, better...plumbing gaskets...:laugh:

Traction rubber bands in XXL format...or, better, plumbing gaskets on train wheels ???

They work fine, and have a right level of softness.

A last photo outside...now it's raining again :wub::laugh:

20191102_124829

Hope you like it as I do! :classic:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Hi all,

after several tests, I found out that the motor, as it was built , was not too strong and sometimes broke up.

I therefore redesigned it a bit:

112 XXL

While the underside is not too different from V1, the upper part is completely different. Since it was quite annoyng to dismantle the motor to change the gear ratio from "high torque" gearing to "speed" gearing, I tried to fit a sort of two-speed gearbox:

112 XXL

This one is the "torque" setting - able to pull really heavy loads, but slowly. According to Sariel's Lego Gears calculator, the gear ratio at the axle is  2.779:1

112 XXL

In the above picture, "Speed" gear is selected, therefore the locomotive is faster, but can pull less weight (not too bad, though *oh2*). It is quite overdriven, therefore the  final gear ratio is 1:1.667.

The XL motor works flawlessly with  both gear ratios and the AAA batteries last quite fine.

112 XXL

This is the hole to fit the smoke generator, I found that there are some very little 12v batteries - I think I'll use them to power the Seuthe no.99.

112 XXL

Some minor modifications in the cabin, in order to keep the main switch easy to operate (pull onwards - turn on battery box and lights / pull bakwards - off).

112 XXL

Now the top part of the boiler easily comes off to reach the battery box (and maybe the switch for the smoke generator).  In the front of the battery box there's some room for an S-Brick, if needed.

112 XXL

A last picture of the 112 in a sunny day after a very  rainy night!

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Ciao Davide,

Somehow I missed your last post about this cutie. Looks great strolling along over the grass!

4 minutes ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Since it was quite annoyng to dismantle the motor to change the gear ratio from "high torque" gearing to "speed" gearing, I tried to fit a sort of two-speed gearbox:

That is a brilliant idea! :thumbup:
Now you need a remote-controlled mechanic gear selector... :wink:
I am a bit envious how much space you have inside your loco for all those features (and more to come). Mine are always stuffed with bracing inside, hard to squeeze in even the cables...

All the best,
Sven

10 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

Now you need a remote-controlled mechanic gear selector... :wink:

It's a feature I'm trying on another (oncoming) diesel MOC...but it's in a really early stage :wink:

On this one it could be nice to implement a manual version with a lever inside the cabin - it would add an "old toy" touch! :wub:

11 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

I am a bit envious how much space you have inside your loco for all those features (and more to come). Mine are always stuffed with bracing inside, hard to squeeze in even the cables... 

Don't be fooled by this one - it's a box on wheels built in 60's standards! :laugh_hard::laugh_hard::laugh_hard: . This one is currently my first real MOC locomotive using the big battery box. I've never seen so much internal space either. *oh2*

It is big even in comparison to 1:22,5 scale LGB models. This is due to the original model, which was really oversized, if compared to all trains that came after it.

The level of detail you achieve in your model requires a lot of special techniques ...your "art" is the ability you've to find, understand, reproduce and even animate the finest details. But this requires more space and weight - it is the price for beauty! :wink: