MxWinters

Building Desk And Storage Shelves [Now Finished]

Time for the final update and after playing with LEGO on the floor for the last 25 years, I now finally have a proper workspace to build my models.

67211380_463994791082548_683943104313766
A shot of the LEGO desk of my dreams

67313951_463994964415864_473720381342797.
I am yet to vacumm up the concreate dust from drilling onto the walls and sort all the cabling out.

67037571_463994947749199_348876565495205
This is the L-Shaped shelf on the right side where I have put my 1x1 storage bricks for my Power Functions and other electrical stuff. This image shows two of the three big errors I made on this desk. First, I painted the wrong edge of the vertical piece. Second, I painted the wrong edge of the horizontal piece. I shall fix this and paint them next week sometime. The third error, which was the biggest error, was I made the vertical uprights on the desk shelving units about 10mm too long so we had to cut them in order to fit them between the desk and the ceiling. We ended cutting them by 50mm just to be on the safe side.

67200511_463994937749200_449439136781172
This is the small shelf on the left side of the desk for my telephone and WiFi router.

66936822_463998597748834_657952894842044
These are the steel brackets we put under the desk to stop the weight of the shelving unit warping the desk. These brackets are not screwed into the desk, just the wall, they are just there to stop the desk warping and not to fix the desk to the wall. Thanks to @neonic for suggesting this idea.

66761930_464001411081886_547784093616150
Here is a close-up of the LED light above the desk. I haven't put the light all the way out to the end of the piece of wood, its current location means that the light is in the centre of the building area so any shadows are directly below what I'm building and not off to one side.

67247417_464002817748412_309020439796409
This image shows how we attached the wall unit, the back part of the metel plate behind the upright is screwed into the wall, but we hide them. The thing to the right side of the image is my computer desk.

67120159_464001777748516_405204260570844
This shows how we attached the top of the wall unit to the wall. We did the same thing to the big desk shelving units to prevent them from toppling over and smashing something.

67189837_464000927748601_696728147353141
Here is a shot of the plastic food containers I have my LEGO parts in on the shelves. I have yet to finalise the locations of the parts, I need to play around to find what order suits me best. I am waiting on a label maker to come from Amazon so once I know where I want everything, I will put labels on the edging strips.
Now I have built these shelving units and put my LEGO on them, it seems I didn't have as much LEGO as I thought I did. I think I somewhat overestimated the number of shelves I needed, then again, that's a good thing as it means I have plenty of space to buy more LEGO :grin:.

67234321_464003987748295_806857708469328
Here is a close-up of the left side shelving unit. I have sorted my LEGO by part type not colour. At the moment I don't care about sorting them by colour but I may to later on......one step at a time.

This project has been good fun to build (apart from the hours of gloss painting) and I am really really pleased with the results, I have to give thanks to my Dad for helping with this project as without his help, I wouldn't have been able to build this. I hope you like the finish product as much as I do.

Sorry and thanks to the mods/admins for putting up with me spamming this thread, I shall stop the spam now :laugh:.

Now that it's finished I have a question. What were those slats called at the place you bought them?

What is B&Q for us dumb colonials:blush::laugh:

5 minutes ago, knotian said:

Now that it's finished I have a question. What were those slats called at the place you bought them?

B&Q is a sophisticated version of Woodies. (But I suppose you'd have to be from Ireland to understand that reference!)

46 minutes ago, knotian said:

By slats do you mean the edging strips on each shelf? Is so, they are called flat D moulding, similar to these:
https://www.diy.com/departments/pine-d-shape-moulding-t-4mm-w-21mm-l-2400mm/1821931_BQ.prd
This link is for D shape moulding but I am using flat D shape, difference is only one corner is curved but they are moreless the same thing. We used 13 in total, they are 2400mm long, each shelf is 800mm long so we got 3 strips out of 1 moulding.

The above link is to B&Q's website, they are a chain hardware store in the UK. The sell all sorts of wood, tools, screws/nail, plumbing hardware, electrical hardware, kichens, bathroom, paint, wallpaper ect ect. Browse their site and you'll see the range they offer.
Hope that answers your questions.

Your welcome, happy to help :wink:.
That doesn't surprise me, sometimes different shops/companies here will call the same thing different names. I'm just going by what B&Q call it as I got the edging strips from them.

This is fantastic -- looks great and very functional!  Seeing it finished and with more containers in it gives a better sense of scale online.

And thanks for the info about getting it cut!  

On 7/19/2019 at 1:20 PM, MxWinters said:

67189837_464000927748601_696728147353141

While this is looking great ... I question just how tall are Irish women? ... I am 6'3 and feel like I would have trouble reaching the celing shelves from a desk width away 

3 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I question just how tall are Irish women?

They are 1.6m tall. All of them. :classic:But I fear I have led you astray with my quip about Ireland. I believe this excellent DIY project is happening in the UK.

3 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

While this is looking great ... I question just how tall are Irish women? ... I am 6'3 and feel like I would have trouble reaching the celing shelves from a desk width away 

Thanks, glad you like it.
I have no idea. I have never been to Ireland so I couldn't possibly comment :tongue:. Joking aside, I am 5'6" and I can just about reach the containers on the top shelf. I have put the Technic parts I never use but may prove useful at some point on the top shelf. The parts I use all the time are closest to where I build, those parts I use less are further away. Once I have done all the labels, I will post an updated picture so you'll be able to see what I mean. There is logic behind my madness.

Just now, Retro said:

They are 1.6m tall. All of them. :classic:But I fear I have led you astray with my quip about Ireland. I believe this excellent DIY project is happening in the UK.

The shelving units are ~1555mm tall, taken from above the desk. The desk is ~700mm above the floor. The top shelf is 2160mm above the floor.
Thanks, I am Cornish not Irish, Cornwall is part of the UK, although I am not British. That would be like calling a Scottish person English lmao :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

23 minutes ago, MxWinters said:

There is logic behind my madness.

Thanks, I am Cornish not Irish, Cornwall is part of the UK, although I am not British. That would be like calling a Scottish person English lmao :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

Forgive my ignorance of your geography .... Lol so does that make you Welsh?Reguardless I am sure of one thing I would love your accent lol.

Your explaination of your sorting actually makes perfect sence ... Still would like to see the pictures once you have it "happy" lol

33 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Forgive my ignorance of your geography .... Lol so does that make you Welsh?Reguardless I am sure of one thing I would love your accent lol.

Your explaination of your sorting actually makes perfect sence ... Still would like to see the pictures once you have it "happy" lol

No problem. Nope I am Cornish not Welsh. The United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland (to give it its full name) is officially split into 4 regions, English, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, think of them as states or provinces (e.g. the USA has 50 states, the UK has 4), each province is then split into Counties. Cornwall (see outlined area in red on this map) is a County in the province of England, however, most native Cornish people deem that Cornwall is a septerate province due to our culture, heritage, language and serveral other things but the British government refuses to accept this although Cornish people are now considered an ethnicity minority in the UK. I live in the Country of the UK but I am Cornish not British. I hope that makes sence.
Lol my accent is more Southern English than Cornish, some words I say my Cornish accent comes through quite strongly but I don't think I sound overly Cornish. A lot of Cornish people have really strong Cornish accents and a lot of English people can't understand them, which is something that we sometimes have fun with during the tourist season. Dreckly, My ‘ansum or Me 'ansum, Emmet and Shag (has nothing to do with sex) are some of the more well know slang words we Cornish use all the time. If you read through my posts I tend to use Twas or Tis alot.
Search on YouTube for "Jethro Comedian", he's a famous Cornish comedian, this gives you an idea of what us native Cornish people sound like, Ill let you decide if you like our accent or not and if you think Jethro is funny or not. But be warned that his content contains swearing and adult humour, hence why I didn't embed any video. I did followspot for him once and Cornwall's main threatre in Truro, it wasn't easy doing followspot properly while your laughing so hard.

Good, glad it makes sence to someone other than myself. Of course, I am still figuring out in what order I want things in and getting all the labels done, Ill then post some pictures for ya.

13 minutes ago, MxWinters said:

Cornish people deem that Cornwall is a septerate province due to our culture, heritage, language and serveral other things but the British government refuses to accept this although Cornish people are now considered an ethnicity minority in the UK. I live in the Country of the UK but I am Cornish not British. I hope that makes sence.

I quite understand this as growing up a sothern boy from a southern family residing in the north due to work relocation .... Lol

I will definately have to check out the comedian ... You wouldnt know from my text here but I swear like a sailor ...

But sadly I feel my education has failed me as they mentioned absolutely nothing of the Cornish ... Infact until today I just thought it was a kinda hen lmao .... Sorry

But looking foward to your pictures!