M2m

macOS 10.15 Catalina and LDD ?

Anyone tried out the new macOS 10.15 Catalina developer preview and LDD already ? I expect LDD won’t work anymore but maybe someone can confirm ?

As said above, it is recommended to use another 3D builder, but it is possible to install Wine and launch Windows' version of LDD in it (Wine allows you to run Windows applications in macOS or linux). I'm no Apple expert tho, so don't take my word for it.

LDD will stop working on Mac os sooner or later, as Apple dropped native OpenGL support.

There are some OpenGL simulation layers out there (e.g. moltenGL) but I'm not sure they work with LDD as they don't deliver the full spec (e.g. ES only).

Otherwise you could try Wine with the Windows version of LDD, as It (recent version) also includes some sort of simulation to enable OpenGL on top of Metal I think.

Not sure about that but my LDCad (also needs OpenGL) seems to work find with it as far I know.

I'll try it for you in the weekend. Have developer account and a second Macbook to test it on. I use stud.io as well but am so used to LDD that I prefer it. They should make a "LDD" mode in stud.io ;)

5 hours ago, JopieK said:

I'll try it for you in the weekend. Have developer account and a second Macbook to test it on. I use stud.io as well but am so used to LDD that I prefer it. They should make a "LDD" mode in stud.io ;)

Thanks a lot that would be nice. I am convinced it’ll stop working but better to give it a try. 

The next version of MacOS (10.15 Catalina) will remove all support for 32-bit apps, so LDD will definitely no longer function. :cry_sad: This is really upsetting for me, it's like losing an old friend, and I haven't found any alternative editor that matches LDD for its simplicity, ease of use, and low computer resource usage.

On a separate note, OpenGL is deprecated on MacOS but still available, so you can run all the MacOS LDraw editors for now.  However, old apps (like Bricksmith) that rely heavily on low-level OpenGL commands will probably fail in the next few years. You should switch to something that is being actively maintained/developed like LDCad or Stud.io.

5 hours ago, NathanR said:

On a separate note, OpenGL is deprecated on MacOS but still available, so you can run all the MacOS LDraw editors for now.  However, old apps (like Bricksmith) that rely heavily on low-level OpenGL commands will probably fail in the next few years. You should switch to something that is being actively maintained/developed like LDCad or Stud.io.

FYI: I'm not sure if I will ever support metal (or native macos for that matter) with LDCad as I currently don't have a apple system available. I do consider adding Vulkan  support in LDcad 2 though, but I don't know if apple plans on supporting that ether.

Reply from LEGO Service if they will update LDD for the new macOS:

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

LEGO® Digital Designer, or LDD, is an amazing program that allows you to build models virtually. We're so glad you enjoy using it!

LDD was first made available in 2004. It has seen many changes and updates over the years. Although we won’t be providing any major updates or revisions to the program in the future, we’ll continue to update the palette and to make sure it runs smoothly on current Operating Systems.

We can’t provide a timeline for palette updates or error fixes, but LDD will check for a new version each time it’s launched as long as you’re connected to the internet. If there’s an update available, you’ll be prompted to download it.

For more information about LDD, please visit LDD.LEGO.com.

We want to make sure we're doing a good job for you, so you’ll always find the link to a four-question survey in our emails. Please tell us how we did today:

LEGO Survey link

Please let us know if you need anything else.

Kind regards,

3 hours ago, M2m said:

We can’t provide a timeline for palette updates or error fixes,

Yeah, well, 17 months since the last one….

Further (sad) Update from LEGO Support:

In regards to whether LDD works with macOS 10.15 Catalina, I am sorry to let you know that we no longer support it anymore. 

However, alternatively, you may head to the link below to see what are softwares can be used which supports LDD:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/ldd/download

Edited by M2m