Wow.

Simply wow. This is >really< nice.

Thank you for sharing!

Best,
Thorsten

Agreed, it's nice to see Lego adding proper official programming language support. Especially since SPIKE Prime also supports MicroPython, it seems Lego will be supporting it consistently.

Do you know how good it works with 3rd party accessories and older stuff (e.g. RCX motors and sensors)? Can you use wifi or bluetooth to upload programs? The documentation only mentiones USB. Can you use other USB hardware like the dimensions toypad which is possible with EV3DEV?

Since it is based on ev3dev, all of the stuff you mentioned is possible (except maybe RCX sensors). But it probably isn't easy to figure out. The documentation only mentions the stuff that works really well and is easy to use.

And about a week ago they released image v2.0 with new features/structure (for instance the brick is now a class instead of a package).

Oh wow, thanks a lot! This is great documentation to find, I couldn't find it on the official Lego website and thus didn't know of it's existence.

For me it also shows that the 2020 mindstorms kit will be also supported through pybricks. Finally a python library that works on all recent mindstorms kits. 

Looking forward to more powered up components such as the Bluetooth remote control...

Edited by GrandiJoos
Typo

Hi David,

I started a new topic with the following title: Is no-sight remote controlling of an EV3 possible with MicroPython.

Would be great if you answer to it,

best wishes 

Dieter

• H

I so need more hours in a day, so I can test all this cool stuff.

On 6/4/2020 at 6:27 PM, Jim said:

I so need more hours in a day, so I can test all this cool stuff.

Well Jim - how about "oversee" it?

I believe testing all this cool stuff is already happening: The folks do. It is simply close to impossible to do it all on your own.

Same thing here: My group does so many things in the several labs we have (in contrast to: As it was in the olden days, when I was right in the middle and did it all "myself" - as part of the group) - I simply lost it. Well not really: I oversee it ... this is what I am telling myself. 

Wow. Old people bragging I guess.

All the very best!
Thorsten

LoL :laugh:

Well, I like nothing more than programming stuff, so I really like to get my hands dirty. I do a lot of "overseeing" at work, but I notice I can't live without coding :wink: 

Maybe I need to save this for the winter. On the other hand; I must be able to find some time to fire it up.

Hi everybody,

I did not geht an answer yet: Is no-sight remote controlling of an EV3 possible with MicroPython.

best wishes 

Dieter

22 hours ago, dibujo said:

Hi everybody,

I did not geht an answer yet: Is no-sight remote controlling of an EV3 possible with MicroPython.

best wishes 

Dieter

I would check again, you received a reply rather quickly...

Hi,

it looks interesting so I gave it a try. I followed the instructions, successfully installed the MicroPython, created an SD card (4GB) with the image, saw and browsed the new menu on my EV3. Then I opened the first program (beep) and wanted to run it. And here I have a problem: When I click on Click here to connect to a device, I see Searching for devices .... and nothing else. Do you think that it is because I use Win 7 Pro?

Hi Jonas,

Hard to debug this remotely, but Windows 7 Pro should not be the cause (in essence).

Some things that come to mind:

1. Did you connect the EV3 brick via a USB cable?
  2. Are you sure the computer found it?
  3. Your firewall might be blocking the connection.
  4. Does your EV3 brick detect the connection? (USB, bluetooth or wifi, not sure which one you use)

(PS: not sure if this is the best topic to continue in to debug your issue, might be best to open a new topic if the problem persists)

Good luck!

I just want to confirm that the MicroPython runs on Windows 7 (Win7 Pro in my case). The above described problem was solved after I let Windows search a driver for EV3dev (connected via USB). I do not know which driver has been found, but now it works.

Edited by Jonas

On 6/10/2020 at 4:49 PM, Jonas said:

I just want to confirm that the MicroPython runs on Windows 7 (Win7 Pro in my case). The above described problem was solved after I let Windows search a driver for EV3dev (connected via USB). I do not know which driver has been found, but now it works.

Great to hear! B.t.w. MicroPython runs on the robot, not on your computer. Connecting to the robot is indeed a potential bottleneck. My experience is that in general older systems work better than newer systems.

edit: I now see this is an older topic