Sign in to follow this  
FurnaceFox

Wolfpack MOCs?

Had LEGOs growing up (mostly Castle and Pirates, and also a few Blacktron Future Generation themed sets from between the mid-1980s and early 1990s). Years ago, my "abandoned" or at least long-neglected collection (stored in the attic of my parents' house) was commandeered by my numerous nieces and nephews, so I'm planning on building from scratch a collection that my son (now six, soon to be seven, years old) can enjoy. I recently purchased a couple of the Wolfpack sets (#6075 and #6038) online as well as some spare Wolfpack mini-figures and weapons. My only complaint about the Wolfpack sub-theme was that it was so short-lived and only had three sets to its name. I will probably end up buying classic parts piecemeal (or a few very large sets containing many pieces) to make some Wolfpack custom builds, but I've been away so long from LEGO I don't really know where to start, what pieces or sets to get. So, I was hoping to find some tutorials for custom builds, or at least some recent (or not so recent) pictured examples of Wolfpack MOCs that others have created for ideas. Many of the Wolfpack MOCs are a bit dated on the Forums, but one that I really like was Uter's "Mountain Wolfpack Fortress" from three years ago. wunztwice too has followed the Wolfpack style a bit more closely with good results 12 years ago ("Wolfpack Tower Redux"), at least in my opinion. Any ideas? Thanks!

My apologies. I'm not quite sure what happened but I had intended to post this in LEGO Historic Themes...

3 hours ago, FurnaceFox said:

My apologies. I'm not quite sure what happened but I had intended to post this in LEGO Historic Themes...

I will shuffle it across for you :wink:

Thanks Peppermint_M for getting this thread to the correct Forum.

leafan, glad to see another fan of the Wolfpack!

Thanks for sharing the video! That's quite an impressive MOC, highly detailed and modernized. The Lord of the Rings meets Jurassic Park, meets the Wolfpack!

Even with the mage, the odds don't look good for the Wolfpack. I thought the pterodactyl dropping the Wolfpack soldier was a nice touch.

There are very few 1980's style builds on the forums; most builders tend towards the highly detailed and ornate.

Try doing a search on "Retro MOC" which will get some interseting builds that I've done over the years are closer to the original 1980's style; or my MOCPages.

I too a big fan of the Wolfpacks. Really liked back then, and felt the same, shame for only having 3 sets.

So, a few years ago, I started to "reboot" it with upgraded armors, weapons, style. Many from GoH keep telling me, how they like the stories about them.

42157427430_379fdcc261.jpg

Edited by kahir88

8 hours ago, The_Cook said:

There are very few 1980's style builds on the forums; most builders tend towards the highly detailed and ornate.

Try doing a search on "Retro MOC" which will get some interseting builds that I've done over the years are closer to the original 1980's style; or my MOCPages. 

The_Cook, thanks for the suggestion. I did as you said and came across a number of your MOCs from several years back. Great job! I really like your retro Forestmen-themed sets: the Mountain Stash and the Clifftop Lookout. I too am trying to (re)capture that mid-1980s to early 1990s feel, because that is what I remember as a kid. I will be starting my son off with the original and some simple retro custom sets of the Wolfpack, but I do realize he likely won’t share my nostalgic sentiment, and will continue to gravitate toward the “cooler” and more modern LEGO sets and themes. He just came across the most recent LEGO catalog and already has his “favorites” picked out. He is a very detailed and meticulous individual, likes building and creating things, likes puzzles, and so I am expecting he will be leaning toward the bigger sets – the more pieces the better. I am fine with that; whatever distracts from the Phone, iPad, and TV will be a good thing!

Thanks to you, I just learned there is such a thing as LEGO Digital Designer and have downloaded and installed the software. You wouldn’t happen to still have the LDD files for these Forestmen MOCs that you would be willing to share, would you?

Keep those ideas coming, everyone! I really appreciate it!

3 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

I've done a few Wolfpack builds myself

Wow, soccerkid6! Those are phenomenal!

Wolfpack Keep: I like how you kept with the original color scheme: blacks, reds, greys. Great interior work. And the working drawbridge is awesome. It has been so long since I've followed LEGO - there are so many new pieces I don't recognize!

Wolfpack Winter Lair: This is incredible. I like the ice wall, the snow and rockwork, and the "cheese" trees. 

I also liked your Forestmen Hideout.

Great tutorials online, by the way. Keep up the good work!

4 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

And here's one by @ZCerberus

ZCerberus' tower is quite impressive as well! To me, this has more of a Far Eastern type appearance to it. The rock and roof detail is amazing.

Do you know if the tower had any interior work done, or is it all exterior?

2 hours ago, kahir88 said:

I too a big fan of the Wolfpacks. Really liked back then, and felt the same, shame for only having 3 sets.

So, a few years ago, I started to "reboot" it with upgraded armors, weapons, style. Many from GoH keep telling me, how they like the stories about them.

Very cool, kahir88. I really like what I am seeing. Following the flickr.com link, I see that these figures have names. I really like Lok the Wild One's shield and the double swords (katanas?) - how are the swords attached to the figure's back? I like how weathered the shields look - very realistic - like they've seen many battles. How did you change the image on that shield? Is it painted directly on the surface or did you apply a sticker?

I noticed too the arbalest of Boris the Houndmaster (basically what looks to be the original LEGO crossbow but with a winding mechanism) and his quiver. Are these your own creations or something LEGO introduced? Like I said, it's been a long time (over 25 years) since I last saw what LEGO had to offer, and so I don't recognize many of the newer pieces. It seems like there are so many new themes nowadays.

The gorgets and shoulder and chest armor are very well done.

Where can I find their storylines? I am eager to learn more!

I was always disappointed that LEGO didn't provide more backstory regarding the Wolfpack, although I imagine LEGO didn't want to impose too much on kids' imaginations. And their mysteriousness certainly added to their appeal!

Where should I start @FurnaceFox?

Lok's wearing body wear from Ninjago. This allows him, to put two katana behind his back. This is, but in a different color:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=23983&name=Minifigure, Armor Shoulder Pad Single with Scabbard for 2 Katanas&category=[Minifigure, Body Wear]#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

His shield is a homemade sticker. I used Paint to create the new design, measured, scaled it and printed on a sticker paper. The weathered effect wasn't intended :D it was made ages ago, and stored together with other shields has its toll. Also, I made a lot of custom body stickers, with the same black and red color scheme, and Wolfpack insignia.

Now, Boris. He is equipped mostly, from Brickwarriors. Go and check it out. there is a lot of cool stuff for your army. Whatever era you prefer.  Both his armor, the quiver, and the crossbow is from there.

Their stories. Not long ago started to collect my self to tell their stories, how they fit in the world, and how they met. There is yet, only two: Conrad's story and Lok's story. There will be more, and if I have time to take pictures, the next story will come out, at least tomorrow.

22 hours ago, FurnaceFox said:

ZCerberus' tower is quite impressive as well! To me, this has more of a Far Eastern type appearance to it. The rock and roof detail is amazing.

Do you know if the tower had any interior work done, or is it all exterior?

The little cavey area had a bit of an interior, but the tudor section did not really.

On 3/22/2019 at 6:24 PM, FurnaceFox said:

I just learned there is such a thing as LEGO Digital Designer and have downloaded and installed the software. You wouldn’t happen to still have the LDD files for these Forestmen MOCs that you would be willing to share, would you?

The LDD files are available on my MOCPages site.

On 3/23/2019 at 1:30 AM, kahir88 said:

Where should I start @FurnaceFox?

Lok's wearing body wear from Ninjago. This allows him, to put two katana behind his back. This is, but in a different color:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=23983&name=Minifigure, Armor Shoulder Pad Single with Scabbard for 2 Katanas&category=[Minifigure, Body Wear]#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

His shield is a homemade sticker. I used Paint to create the new design, measured, scaled it and printed on a sticker paper. The weathered effect wasn't intended :D it was made ages ago, and stored together with other shields has its toll. Also, I made a lot of custom body stickers, with the same black and red color scheme, and Wolfpack insignia.

Now, Boris. He is equipped mostly, from Brickwarriors. Go and check it out. there is a lot of cool stuff for your army. Whatever era you prefer.  Both his armor, the quiver, and the crossbow is from there.

Their stories. Not long ago started to collect my self to tell their stories, how they fit in the world, and how they met. There is yet, only two: Conrad's story and Lok's story. There will be more, and if I have time to take pictures, the next story will come out, at least tomorrow.

What can I say, I am a newbie. Thanks kahir88 for the great info. The Ninjago theme and Brickwarriors were both news to me. Although I guess I do recall seeing a preview for the Ninjago movie a couple years back.

Your vignettes and accompanying scenes are excellent. I greatly enjoyed reading them. Look forward to reading the backstories of other members of your Wolf Brigade! Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

The custom shield work is really well done. It could easily pass for an original in the classic Castle themes. Looking into making some shields of my own. Just found this great website:

http://www.classic-castle.com/howto/articles/TriangularShields.html

10 minutes ago, The_Cook said:

The LDD files are available on my MOCPages site.

Somehow I missed them on the first go-around. I see the links now, thanks!

On 3/22/2019 at 5:40 PM, kahir88 said:

42157427430_379fdcc261.jpg

Same as me, hope some point of the time they will back to the old, good ideas.