Rubblemaker

[MOC] Vader's Personal Tie Advanced Hangar

Morning all, first time here so I thought I'd share a moc I completed a few days ago. I recently built Jerac's beautiful Tie Advanced and wanted to store it somewhere better than randomly on the shelf. So I designed and built a hangar for it. It features a crane boarding arm that can raise so that the ship can enter and leave the hangar, a command centre and an armoury. Its made of about 2,500 pieces and was inspired by a Raymond Swanland illustration called 'Machines of Dominion'. The full album for it is on my Flickr page at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/164260086@N06/albums/72157701453950302/with/46300092392/

With ship2

With ship6

Command centre1

walking3

Without ship1Boarding1

Edited by Rubblemaker

I commented the hangar before, so I'll just drop here too that I still like it and I still believe red beats yellow. But what has eluded me before is taht black 2x4 tile on top of the T/A - very clever thing to do! I'll try to incorporate it in incoming basic TIEs update, thanks for the idea!

Thanks! again ;) Do you mean red would have been better than the flame yellow plates and bricks? Yeah, that would have looked cool. Red and black are a killer combination. I think thats why I chose your Spec forces FO Tie as the next one of yours I'll build. Love the colour scheme on it even though I'm not a huge fan of the new trilogy.

This looks really good! I like it a lot! Instantly what popped out to me is the yellow. It is a nice accent, and different, but I feel for the walls the yellow could be replaced with white, and under the 1x2 grilles on the floor, red would look better, maybe the dark red, but yellow doesn't do it for me personally. However! I love the walkway above the Tie, showing how he gets in and out, the computer station is nicely done. Doesn't look over the top nor too minimal. The wall greebles are just the right amount too. And finally, it's a nice clean and smooth looking build. 

Great job! 

*edit*

One thing I just realised, nothing major... But... That platform where vader climbs into his Tie from... Where does it go to? It looks like he'd walk out into space :look: I'd be tempted to put a platform also along the entire width, or have it going off to the right so it looks like it goes somewhere more potentially life sustaining :purrr:

Edited by Fuppylodders

6 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

This looks really good! I like it a lot! Instantly what popped out to me is the yellow. It is a nice accent, and different, but I feel for the walls the yellow could be replaced with white, and under the 1x2 grilles on the floor, red would look better, maybe the dark red, but yellow doesn't do it for me personally. However! I love the walkway above the Tie, showing how he gets in and out, the computer station is nicely done. Doesn't look over the top nor too minimal. The wall greebles are just the right amount too. And finally, it's a nice clean and smooth looking build. 

Great job! 

Thanks! I’m a real novice with moc creation, this is only my second one, so every days a school day for me at the moment. Knowing where to stop though was part of the challenge. I think I recognised I was in danger of over doing it and putting too much detail in. I was enjoying it so much I could have gone on and on. I think snot techniques are definitely my thing though. Not a fan of studs.

8 minutes ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Fantastic build, I love the officer desk area!

Thanks mate! I had some people on reddit saying that area should have been raised, bigger, rotated, behind glass etc. But I like it compact. I didn’t want to just follow canon and create something that looked exactly like these areas in the films. Also.. money...

Edited by Rubblemaker

Just now, Rubblemaker said:

Thanks mate! I had some people on reddit saying that area should have been raised, bigger, rotated, behind glass etc. But I like it compact. I didn’t want to just follow canon and create something that looked exactly like these areas in the films. Plus.. money...

I actually like it right how it is. Gives it a sense of belonging purely to that bay, and a more sense of 'this is all for vaders Tie so he can communicate with whoever he needs to instantly rather than using comms to get through to people. Definitely adds more to it being his personal hangar. 

44 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

I actually like it right how it is. Gives it a sense of belonging purely to that bay, and a more sense of 'this is all for vaders Tie so he can communicate with whoever he needs to instantly rather than using comms to get through to people. Definitely adds more to it being his personal hangar. 

Cool. That’s precisely how I envisaged that section so good to know that came across. Thanks!. :) 

59 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

*edit*

One thing I just realised, nothing major... But... That platform where vader climbs into his Tie from... Where does it go to? It looks like he'd walk out into space :look: I'd be tempted to put a platform also along the entire width, or have it going off to the right so it looks like it goes somewhere more potentially life sustaining :purrr:

Hah! Yeah. In my Flickr album I’ve captioned that picture: ‘Don’t ask how he gets up there. The force I guess’

Originally the plan was to have walls either side and I’d have built a walkway across the width, maybe even a cradle for the tie. But then I realised that wall would really screw up photography opportunities (a really important part of moc making for me) so had to come up with another plan. It was this or no walkway and I wanted to at least put something in to show how he’d board the ship. I decided to give people the benefit of doubt to suspend disbelief that there is a way up there from.. somewhere. Maybe if the hangar was twice the size I could have built a full staircase type structure leading down to the ground. Maybe next time ;)

Absolutely beautiful, fantastic work.

My only criticism is that it's 2018, get rid of the Civil War caps and give the Imperials their proper hats. There's a stormtrooper approaching retirement too haha... 

... But as for the built itself, utterly fantastic, incredible work! :laugh:

22 minutes ago, Daddy_Stardust said:

Absolutely beautiful, fantastic work.

My only criticism is that it's 2018, get rid of the Civil War caps and give the Imperials their proper hats. There's a stormtrooper approaching retirement too haha... 

... But as for the built itself, utterly fantastic, incredible work! :laugh:

Thanks very much :) As for the antique Minifigs, yeah, i bought them from eBay when I should have BrickLinked em. For future builds I’ll be paying more attention to figures. One of em has the right sort of cap anyway, the Hangar commander in the command centre. And he comes from a bloody advent calendar of all places! ?

Now when I think of it, the reason Vader would want such a hangar is that simply no other ship will fit through that opening, so he will never have to worry about his parking space being occupied by some idiot. 

On the other hand, upgrading to, say, a TIE Defender would be problematic... ;d

44 minutes ago, Jerac said:

Now when I think of it, the reason Vader would want such a hangar is that simply no other ship will fit through that opening, so he will never have to worry about his parking space being occupied by some idiot. 

On the other hand, upgrading to, say, a TIE Defender would be problematic... ;d

Who would dare park in Vader's hangar though?. You'd be choked to death within seconds of landing. I guess if he upgraded to the defender its strong enough to just blast a hole big enough to land in. Might kill everyone inside as well though, but... meh... Imperials are disposable.

43 minutes ago, roadstermatt said:

that's a nice build well done looks really good

Thanks very much, it was a lot of fun to do. Kind of sad its over. On to the next one I guess.

4 hours ago, Don Neimoidte de la Mancha said:

How long was this taking to make?

I’d estimate I spent about 15 hours actually building over the course of 6 weeks. Throughout that time I was always waiting for various BrickLink or eBay orders to arrive and building it up as and when they did. But because I didn’t design this using any software and it was all in my head I was constantly making stuff, then changing it or removing it. At one point I built a whole structure that raised the Tie about 4 inches off the floor but I didn’t like what it did to the aesthetics of the build so I removed it. Had I done all that iterating in Studio or LDD or something first then the build would have been much quicker, it’s not really super complex in its structure.

22 hours ago, Rubblemaker said:

I’d estimate I spent about 15 hours actually building over the course of 6 weeks. Throughout that time I was always waiting for various BrickLink or eBay orders to arrive and building it up as and when they did. But because I didn’t design this using any software and it was all in my head I was constantly making stuff, then changing it or removing it. At one point I built a whole structure that raised the Tie about 4 inches off the floor but I didn’t like what it did to the aesthetics of the build so I removed it. Had I done all that iterating in Studio or LDD or something first then the build would have been much quicker, it’s not really super complex in its structure.

So impressive

I only dislike one thing about this - it reminded me how much better is the old Vader helmet over the new fancier mold. God how I wish they changed it soon! :D Cool MOC, gz on getting into the Brickvault selection.

28 minutes ago, Kristof said:

I only dislike one thing about this - it reminded me how much better is the old Vader helmet over the new fancier mold. God how I wish they changed it soon! :D Cool MOC, gz on getting into the Brickvault selection.

Thanks! Agreed about Vader. I’m a purist.