CSW652

Are the Creator Expert trains finished?

8 minutes ago, CSW652 said:

While I like the concept, the problems I see with set #10183 are the instructions for the different models aren't included in the box, to much red, and it's rather expensive to buy now. 

Well, unlike 10183, a Three-In-One Creator set would not only include instructions for all three models (as is the case for all Three-In-One Creator sets), but it definitely could be priced below US $99.99 depending upon the type of locomotive the set's main build would be depicting. :classic:

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, unlike 10183, a Three-In-One Creator set would not only include instructions for all three models (as is the case for all Three-In-One Creator sets), but it definitely could be priced below US $99.99 depending upon the type of locomotive the set's main build would be depicting. :classic:

Which is why I am all for it.  Lego make it happen!!

I’d love another complex Creator Expert train but fear we may never get one due to lack of perceived demand.

A creator 3in1 would be a good solution to satisfy (most) train fans in between City train refreshes. It would need to have “proper” windows and doors to really appeal though 

Edited by ElectroDiva

1 hour ago, ElectroDiva said:

...it would need to have “proper” windows and doors to really appeal though...

Yeah, an updated version of those parts would be great!

3 hours ago, ElectroDiva said:

A creator 3in1 would be a good solution to satisfy (most) train fans in between City train refreshes.

Not to mention, Steam Locomotives are totally an option for the Creator theme, whereas for City, they're not. :classic:

It just dawned on me they have already done 3 in 1 train sets with 10022 and 10025.

They could re-release those under Creator and then make a line of additional new train sets.

As far as the three Creator Expert trains...Emerald Night, Maersk, and Horizon Express...they were all released about 2 years apart from each other from 2009 to 2013 and there hasn't been one since so I take it there isn't going to be another?  Unfortunately I missed them all at the time and they are a bit expensive on the market now.

Edited by CSW652

On 1/10/2019 at 10:12 AM, CSW652 said:

It just dawned on me they have already done 3 in 1 train sets with 10022 and 10025.

They could re-release those under Creator and then...

No... that’s not very likely...

I agree with @Digger of Bricks about seeing some more steam engines— either as the main or an alternate build— but am also wondering which “mid-size” to tank-size engines are universally recognizeable...?

While I love region-specific locos, I realize that something more generic is easier for TLG to sell (as well as produce?).

I’ve actually been (slowly) working on a project that fits this N-in-1 style of Creator sets as a potential Lego Ideas’ entry. I’ve put in on hold since the arrival of the Powered Up system, since it largely revolves around the L-motor. I’m not sure how I’ll feel if the new iteration has a wider profile or studs& anti-studs on it.

44 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

I agree with @Digger of Bricks about seeing some more steam engines— either as the main or an alternate build— but am also wondering which “mid-size” to tank-size engines are universally recognizeable...?

While I love region-specific locos, I realize that something more generic is easier for TLG to sell (as well as produce?).

Well, pretty much everything Creator's Three-In-One line puts out is generic; but, as for a particularly recognizable "mid-sized" locomotive such a set should aspire after, can you really go wrong using this guy as your inspiration? :wink:

Thomas_RailwaySeries_wide-e8b6239933ac8a

@Digger of Bricks That’s tank-size to me... when I said mid-sized, I meant like 4-4-0s, 0-8-0s, and ‘small’ 4-6-2s (smaller than the EN).

Can never go wrong using Thomas & Co as a baseline, but that’s on a different thread....

Edited by M_slug357
typos

16 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

No... that’s not very likely...

Really?  Who wouldn't want in updated Creator Expert re-release of the Super Chief with train cars?  

lego isnt intrested in trains in general i think however i would be very happy if they would do so.like M_slug375 said it wouldnt be likely but we could always be wrong lego has surprised us in the past with such ideas.

A hoping XGBC

Edited by XGBC
fault in writing

The whole problem with the expert line stems from the Emerald Night (only one coach & "won't do separate ones", poorly thought out mechanicals, etc. ) and the Horizon Express; which although one wasn't expensive, is only half a train, and the combined track and motorisation costs probably put a lot of AFOLs & non-AFOLs alike off.

The Winter Village Train though? That seemed to have sold VERY well, as did the Maersk container train. So maybe LEGO needs to reduce the grandeur and produce something a bit more inline with the average train rather then the extreme.

Edited by Matt Dawson

I still think if they sold either the existing Creator Express trains or new ones along with separate 3 in 1 train car sets to go with them, they would have a winner.

2 hours ago, Matt Dawson said:

So maybe LEGO needs to reduce the grandeur and produce something a bit more inline with the average train rather then the extreme.

Average verses Extreme? By that are you referring to types of locomotives, or quality of set build? :shrug_confused:

26 minutes ago, CSW652 said:

I still think if they sold either the existing Creator Express trains or new ones along with separate 3 in 1 train car sets to go with them, they would have a winner.

Eh, I still think a Three-In-One locomotive with cars/coaches as its alternate builds is a much more viable option with customers outside of the fanbase. 

14 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Average verses Extreme? By that are you referring to types of locomotives, or quality of set build? :shrug_confused:

As in types - you will note most of the City range, including passenger trains, are more about everyday service. Only one passenger train is really geared towards express service, which was 2018.

51 minutes ago, Matt Dawson said:

As in types - you will note most of the City range, including passenger trains, are more about everyday service. Only one passenger train is really geared towards express service, which was 2018.

Well, if you are speaking in the context of modern locomotives/trains, that's kinda besides the point of this conversation, as many of us here are pondering the feasibility of sets based upon locomotives of the past. Modern trains are pretty much a given from the City theme every four years, whereas everything predating such are much less certain. :sad:

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:59 AM, Matt Dawson said:

What?

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:07 PM, Matt Dawson said:

The whole problem with the expert line stems from the Emerald Night (only one coach & "won't do separate ones", poorly thought out mechanicals, etc. ) and the Horizon Express; which although one wasn't expensive, is only half a train, and the combined track and motorisation costs probably put a lot of AFOLs & non-AFOLs alike off.

The Winter Village Train though? That seemed to have sold VERY well, as did the Maersk container train. So maybe LEGO needs to reduce the grandeur and produce something a bit more inline with the average train rather then the extreme.

I would buy an Emerald Night, Maersk, Horizon Express right now if they were still available from Lego.  I would love an updated Creator Expert version of the Super Chief or Metroliner, but I am not holding my breath on any of the above ever being re-released.  I only hope they make another train worthy of the line and not another holiday train.

1 hour ago, CSW652 said:

I would buy an Emerald Night, Maersk, Horizon Express right now if they were still available from Lego.

That's for me is the most painful thing. I get that they're reluctant to introduce something new - something which wouldn't have big sales. But why not keep selling some old stuff... :(

On 1/18/2019 at 4:23 PM, Bartosz said:

That's for me is the most painful thing. I get that they're reluctant to introduce something new - something which wouldn't have big sales. But why not keep selling some old stuff... :(

Because a limited run of something is very expensive, and it interrupts the production of other, newer sets that one would assume are selling better.

I love LEGO, but we can't forget TLG is a profit driven company, and it's not just about profits - it's about maximizing profits.  Very rarely to they step outside the norm to appease fans like us.

what would also be cool to see released as a set would be one like the factory train set where fans designed the builds.

XGBC

1 hour ago, fred67 said:

Because a limited run of something is very expensive, and it interrupts the production of other, newer sets that one would assume are selling better.

Right, but then let say you see that your latest creator train is now sold out, but you don't plan to release new one (for the reasons you've mentioned/not big enough sales etc ). You could just supply  couple of more of the same and still sell it. Is that not enough?

I still think if they did another limited re-release updated powered up version of the Super Chief and cars, the Metroliner, the Emerald Night, the Maersk, the Horizon Express, and or something new, then actually made them more available than just D2C by putting them in stores etc... and maybe include the trains in the Lego Movies to help with sales.  

I also think that if they released a new Creator Expert train and also released the 3in1 Creator rolling stock set to go with it they would sell quite well.

Edited by CSW652

On 1/22/2019 at 1:54 PM, CSW652 said:

... and maybe include the trains in the Lego Movies to help with sales...

Wow, I almost forgot about the Lego Movie 2!!

What if there’s an actual train-related sequence in the movie that correlates with an actual train set in the second (or third?) wave of LM2 sets???

I still think that the Dumbo remake and/or Toy Story 4 will generate something, possibly a D2C?

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:43 PM, M_slug357 said:

Wow, I almost forgot about the Lego Movie 2!!

What if there’s an actual train-related sequence in the movie that correlates with an actual train set in the second (or third?) wave of LM2 sets???

I still think that the Dumbo remake and/or Toy Story 4 will generate something, possibly a D2C?

I don't think the Lone Ranger train sold very well even though it had a very nice looking locomotive, but that may have had more to do with the movie not doing so well. Wasn't to crazy about the included rolling stock, but that can always be changed.  I guess it's possible there will be another Disney movie train, but wouldn't count on it.  Wasn't there a train in the Lego Movie?

Edited by CSW652