Sign in to follow this  
SlyOwl

Cannon Power

Somehow my post was overlooked, so I'll say it again:

try shortening the spring. This should give more power to the cannon.

Although with such a small projectile, I dont think a brick wall for exemple would move, even when removable...

TT

Sorry :pir-blush:

Surely shortening the spring would give the same amount of power as it would not be a stronger spring and the amount of energy storable would be the same?

Sorry :pir-blush:

Surely shortening the spring would give the same amount of power as it would not be a stronger spring and the amount of energy storable would be the same?

Hmm... but if the spring was tougher than the normal spring? Than it would require more power to be pulled back, but would also give more power to the "firing" action?

TT

Hmm... but if the spring was tougher than the normal spring? Than it would require more power to be pulled back, but would also give more power to the "firing" action?

Do you know any ways of thickening springs? It's the amount of wire that counts, not the arrangement... (I think :pir-blush: )

Edited by SlyOwl

I seriously have no idea :pir-tongue:

Perhaps look for a higher quality or thicker spring, but with the overall length (a bit) shorter than the spring that is found into the cannon...

Who knows, it might work :pir-classic:

TT

You surely need a spring with the same dimensions but with a slightly thicker thread, and/or a denser winding. That would increase the potential energy stored.

Not sure where to find anything like that, but there should be manufactures doing stuff like this, which others (like Lego) use in their products.

The task is to find such a manufacture that is willing to sell smaller quantities.

Aww crap, I lost one end cap opening a cannon. :imperialguard_commander1:

dont worry.. you'll find it. xD as for the cannon strength... I have no clue. o_O but I'm going to try right now. :pir-skull:

OH HAHAHA! I see how you lost it.. xD my second one just shot out as soon as I opended it.. but I tryed to listen for where it hit and It was just on the other side of the table.. :D If only the cannons were that strong...

also missing a spring now. :pir_bawling:

Edited by Davy_Blocks

I didn't read the entire thread so my appologies if this was suggested but instead of increasing the springs tension power why not increase the weight of the projectile. You might be able to get little tiny lead balls (like for fishing line weights) and cram a few into the brick projectile to give it more umf on impact. You could also just paint the lead ball black. Your range won't be as long but the power at impact should be significantly increased.

Edited by Commodore Hornbricker

TT

Yes it would.

It would require more energy to pull back but it would also posses more Potential Energy :thumbup: . Shortening the spring would reduce the recoil and therefore reduce the Potential Energy of the spring. The only real answer here from a physics standpoint is a tougher (stiffer) spring. A spring that is more resilient to be compressed will try harder to become un-pressed, just like a magnet, the stronger the magnet the more powerful the force in which it will repel another magnet of opposite polarity. The problem is finding a spring in that exact size that is simply stiffer. I suggest ordering a few from that company listed above.

If you use the cylinders that narrow towards the end as opposed to the regular cylinders that come in the official sets, it will go farther because there's less wind resistance.

If you use the cylinders that narrow towards the end as opposed to the regular cylinders that come in the official sets, it will go farther because there's less wind resistance.

Since this thread got revived I'll add on something.

I've read in the Nerf hobby where people stretch the springs and heat it up. Im not sure whats the exact procedure but Im guessing it might be a small butane torch.

Stretching alone makes the spring have better performance but it will gradually revert back to original or possibly worst.