Digger of Bricks

[POLL] Which do You Prefer? Comic-Inspired or Cinematic DC/Marvel Super Heroes Sets?

Comic-Inspired or Cinematic-Based Playsets?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. DC Comics Super Heroes

2. 2. Marvel Super Heroes

Whether you're interested in the Marvel or DC Comics Super Heroes themes, which source material do you prefer seeing as the inspiration or basis for the theme's playsets? Share your personal preferences in the above poll or comment in the thread below to further elaborate! :classic:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

For DC, 100% prefer the comic-based sets. Not the biggest fans of the designs that come out of the DCEU (or Worlds of DC if that's what they're going by now?) and the comic stuff just really nails it in terms of accuracy to the source material. Even though we get way too many Batman sets, some of the comic-based sets have been incredible in terms of figure selection and builds, like the Javelin or Braniac Attack sets. For Marvel, I really like both. The MCU sets just seem to have better designs in my opinion for both minifigures and builds, especially for the bigger waves like the Infinity War sets. The comic sets are also equally as good, especially some of the Spider-Man sets. So yeah, just wish that DC had better movie-based sets. I do really like the new Aquaman set, so hopefully a Shazam one could be good!

Yeah for DC I like some of the stuff that the cinematic side has put out but on the whole I like the comics side of it. Especially when we're getting things like Talons. If you're into Batman comics at all and haven't read Court of Owls, I highly recommend. As for Marvel it's hands down the MCU. 

I do think that Lego could easily do some sets that blend the two realms. That Spider-Man bridge set, for instance, could've been tweaked to have been a cinematic set. Add movie type minifigures etc. 

Comic for DC, Movies for Marvel. Buy and Large I prefer dcs comics to their movies (or at least the dceu) and I prefer the Mcu to marvel comics so my set preferences align with that.

Both.  I usually don't care.  It's nice to have comic accurate minifigures, and it's nice to have screen accurate minifigures.  I usually just hope that the movies will make costumes that are nice enough interpretations of the comics. 

Edited by x105Black

I feel Mavel is strongest in the cinematic universe side but for DC is actually both. DC is pretty strong in and out the comics

For instance, Harley Quinn came from the animated series, not the comics. 

In both cases, I personally prefer comic-inspired sets over cinematic ones, even though the latter have both minifigures and builds that can be more pleasing aesthetically. It's primarily for idealistic reasons that I prefer comic-inspired sets over the other, as I feel that the former more evoke the spirit of Lego's original, in-house lines with their more archetypical format and freestyle design of sorts. 

3 hours ago, J4ck said:

Great thoughts and polls as per usual Mr D.O. Bricks!

Thanks! :blush:

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

In both cases, I personally prefer comic-inspired sets over cinematic ones, even though the latter have both minifigures and builds that can be more pleasing aesthetically. It's primarily for idealistic reasons that I prefer comic-inspired sets over the other, as I feel that the former more evoke the spirit of Lego's original, in-house lines with their more archetypical format and freestyle design of sorts. 

You hit the nail on the head in that last sentence, couldn’t agree more. There’s a lot more freedom to explore the realm of the comics; the designers have over 50 years of comics to choose from!

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Thanks! :blush:

You’re welcome!

Edited by J4ck

The problem with that is that not all the comic versions are that well-known.

Like for instance, I know some fans might love a getting the original Mr Freeze from the comics (the yellow/pink one). But that's such an obscure version that most of the fans wouldn't even know who the minifigure is supposed to be.

Image result for mr freeze original

Like some of the villains in the Batman Movie like Eraser, Polka-Dot Man and Catman. Some people didn't even know about them

Edited by Robert8

4 hours ago, J4ck said:

There’s a lot more freedom to explore the realm of the comics; the designers have over 50 years of comics to choose from!

And, besides minifigures, there's a lot more freedom in the designing of the playset builds too! :classic:

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

And, besides minifigures, there's a lot more freedom in the designing of the playset builds too! :classic:

Which makes it all the more better :wink:

For DC easily the comic based sets. The movie's usually have very boring designs, and the films themselves are not too good making me want the sets even less. The Wonder Women set is the only DCEU set that stands out in my opinion. The comic sets have way more diversity and more interesting builds. The Brothers Eye was is a perfect example of a unique DC build you would never get in a movie set. Also I am more attached to the comics. 

Ok now onto Marvel. It's the complete opposite. I will say I love comic based minifigures but the builds are almost always complete trash, the upcoming Spiderman wave seem to be full of Spidey vehicles, enough said. The movies however have amazing builds a lot of the time. Sanctum Sanctorum Is a fantastic build and something that we never get in comic sets. Only exception of a great comic build is the Bridge Battle. 

Now onto the poll personally I would get rid of the both option. I like both comic and movie sets for Marvel a lot of the time but ended up having too choose my favorite. It's a lot more fun when there isn't the easy way out option. 

When it comes to Marvel, my preference is definitely the Cinematic Universe, though Comics-inspired do also provide some very nice sets.

With DC it's exactly the other way around for me. Which might also be because I'm not that impressed with the movies yet but the Cinematic Universe sets do provide nice new parts and such.

Regards,
Mitch

On 8/25/2018 at 11:59 AM, ProfessorHawk said:

For DC, 100% prefer the comic-based sets. Not the biggest fans of the designs that come out of the DCEU (or Worlds of DC if that's what they're going by now?) and the comic stuff just really nails it in terms of accuracy to the source material. Even though we get way too many Batman sets, some of the comic-based sets have been incredible in terms of figure selection and builds, like the Javelin or Braniac Attack sets. For Marvel, I really like both. The MCU sets just seem to have better designs in my opinion for both minifigures and builds, especially for the bigger waves like the Infinity War sets. The comic sets are also equally as good, especially some of the Spider-Man sets. So yeah, just wish that DC had better movie-based sets. I do really like the new Aquaman set, so hopefully a Shazam one could be good!

I would have to second ProfessorHawk. I personally did not like many of the DC figures from the cinematic wave, but I can’t get enough of the comic figures.

While I love the film-based minifigures for Marvel, I really feel like most of the film-based builds have been mediocre to poor until Thor: Ragnarok's release, since which we've been on an upswing... but otherwise we got maybe a half-dozen trucks, a couple helicopters, and several jets? These were competent builds but didn't offer a ton of serious variety.

So I lean towards "comic"-based sets because even though they don't end up with as interesting a minifigure selection, I think they tend to include more interesting builds. The Space Avenjet is better than a second/third/fourth Quinjet, for example... and I loved the Detroit Steel set, which took inspiration from both comics and the films!

I'm in agreement with most everyone else about DC -- comics over films, although I do appreciate how at least the films let us escape Batman a little on occasion.