Hey guys, here's another post-BrickFair MOC I have planned that has an interesting backstory: 

While working on the CLAAS Challenger 95E I decided to make a crane attachment for it like the 42054. Of course, I wanted to make it much better as the 42054's crane didn't seem too appealing to me. Unfortunately, the crane ended up being way too big because I wasn't paying attention to the scale I was building at. I even put a directional gearbox beneath it to control two crane functions. The end result was something very similar to the 42054's crane attachment but ended up way out of proportion to the tractor itself, and I unfortunately had to scratch that idea. But something about this crane stands out to me so much (despite it being essentially another 9397) that I hated to get rid of it, which ultimately led me to propose another MOC.

A grapple truck was something I've wanted to make since my early days of MOCs - I've made one back in 2014 but this one will, of course, be much more streamlined and realistic. I don't plan on giving it remote control (as I don't want to deal with wire organizing) but instead a single motor (either M motor or L motor) to drive a distribution gearbox that will control various functions. This would also be a good opportunity for me to use dark azure pieces, as I plan on making the cab that color.

As of right now, I have the crane arm completed, but here's my tentative list of features:

• Single PF M or L motor, driving a distribution gearbox that would control:
    • Outriggers (using Arocs gear racks/brackets)
    • Turntable
    • Boom elevation
    • 2nd part of boom (whatever that part controlled by the small LA is called)
  • Other manual functions would include:
    • Extension
    • Grabber (I'll probably replace it with something better - perhaps 42006's claw?)
  • Basic features/functions would be:
    • 2 rear axles connected to straight-4 piston engine underneath the cabin (double rear wheels, of course)
    • HoG steering
    • Tilting cabin (to reveal engine)

Like the other MOC I recently started, I'll probably wait until after BrickFair to really work on it when I'll have all my pieces available after I take apart my BrickFair MOCs. If you guys have any suggestions for me, let me know in the comments.

Anyways, here's some pics of that crane:

z8uO5kh.jpg

4vbqflD.jpg

wLnhTfW.jpg

LZ690V4.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

UPDATE 7/27/18

The last couple days I started work on the chassis of this model. I attached the crane to a reinforced 4-function distribution gearbox that will allow for four different motorized functions. I've also redesigned the crane itself, making it white instead of red and added an operator's seat to it. Note that I removed the grabber - I will be replacing it with a 42006/42042-style claw that should make it good for picking up rocks, etc. I have also routed a drive axle through the chassis that will connect the rear axle to a piston engine. At this point the functions I am considering are:

• Motorized:
    • Boom elevation
    • 2nd part of boom
    • Turntable
    • Dumping (with linear actuator)
  • Manual:
    • Extension
    • Claw
    • Outriggers

I am considering a model of a heavy-duty pickup truck (e.g. Ford F700) with a dark azure body and two axles, the rear one featuring double wheels. A dump will sit behind the crane which will be modeled in black.

If you guys have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

Photos:

RyBVYf7.jpg

hfUkcoW.jpg

vwr2mYr.jpg

zvbtUF8.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

Looks promising. I just hope that this model is for 62.4 tires. (Since I'm thinking about few trucks to build in future after I finished Unimog, few systems tractors and few telescopic handlers...and who knows what will cross my mind in near future...)

2 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Looks promising. I just hope that this model is for 62.4 tires. (Since I'm thinking about few trucks to build in future after I finished Unimog, few systems tractors and few telescopic handlers...and who knows what will cross my mind in near future...)

Yeah, I'll be using 62.4 tires.

2 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Very odd machine. Reminds me of explosive drilling rigs used in mines.

Not odd at all. Here's what I'm building:

Grapple_truck.png.61a6c5761a5dad197e0f1978db5b72ba.png

2 minutes ago, JLiu15 said:

Yeah, I'll be using 62.4 tires.

Not odd at all. Here's what I'm building:

Oh! Yep, I've looked closer at your pics; when I first saw them, I thought the rig sat on tracks! :wacko: I can envision what you're working on now.

Just now, Maaboo35 said:

Oh! Yep, I've looked closer at your pics; when I first saw them, I thought the rig sat on tracks! :wacko: I can envision what you're working on now.

5 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

two axles, the rear one featuring double wheels.

Lol

Also note that H-frame with the 20-tooth double bevel gear. That could only mean one thing: driven axle.

Edited by JLiu15

UPDATE 8/14/18

Lots of progress on the chassis! The drive motor/gear train is now in place, with the left ring given a 1:1 ratio and the right ring given a 5:1 reduction with clutch gear. The second LA will be used for dumping a container. Note the linkages fed through the chassis to allow the gearbox to be shifted at a more convenient location. I've also made some changes/updates to the crane - this includes a 42054-style claw and panels on the crane to make it look less bare. 

I've made a change of plans for this MOC: rather than a dark azure cab I will be making it red, but with a twist: I will be using mid 2000s-style Technic panels along with the modern kind, creating a mix of different generations of Technic. This is because I obtained a 8289 set at BrickFair at a good price, and it comes with a handful of those panels that I think will create a really unique effect. But all that will come later down the road.

Any suggestions? Please let me know :classic:

Photos:

KPSHVID.jpg

V2iY2zZ.jpg

tnA2wZI.jpg

iiKBeNS.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

27 minutes ago, JLiu15 said:

creating a mix of different generations of Technic

Although I do not know exactly how this will look, I'm getting a feeling that this will look kinda weird.

I would however fill the gaps between the white panels above the slew ring and the the rear of the crane.

27 minutes ago, Beck said:

Although I do not know exactly how this will look, I'm getting a feeling that this will look kinda weird.

I would however fill the gaps between the white panels above the slew ring and the the rear of the crane.

I don't think so. I've seen it done on a Ferrari MOC before and it looked pretty well.

To be fair that's a supercar and what I'm modeling here is a truck, but imagine the long red panels from the 8289 replacing their modern day counterpart.

UPDATE 8/27/2018

Lots of progress here! The entire rear half of the chassis is 100% complete, with the two rear axles and dump in place. Note the wheel hubs - I did not feel like using a super long axle to connect the double rear wheels so I decided to use hubs instead. The dump is simple but very robust, and can be detached by pulling out 4 pins. I decorated the rear of the dump with warning pattern tiles, custom printed by EclipseGrafx I got at BrickFair (hence the EclipseGrafx brick on the arm). Because the dump function is connected to the ring with a 5:1 reduction, the action is slow but has plenty of torque. In fact, the L motor never seems to struggle at all when driving this function.

I've also added side outriggers near the arm, which are unfortunately deployed manually via worm gears. They are dead simple and similar to those on the 9397, and although I doubt they will be able to lift the vehicle off the ground they nevertheless complement the arm pretty well. I've made the area near the outriggers sort of a "control area", directing the gearbox switch right next to the outriggers' worm gears.

The MOC is progressing at a pretty fast pace, and I anticipate finishing it by early September.

If you guys have any suggestions for me, please let me know :classic:

Photos:

5qfIzWZ.jpg

UWu935y.jpg

m9SVuCc.jpg

e8dkjLq.jpg

PfWUcOE.jpg

O6Vc17b.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

So far it looks good. Based on panels and white liftarms that I see here I assume that you have Mercedes Benz Arocs.

30 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

So far it looks good. Based on panels and white liftarms that I see here I assume that you have Mercedes Benz Arocs.

Thank you! It currently looks similar, but that isn’t my plan.

My plan is a longnose truck with a red body.

Just now, JLiu15 said:

Thank you! It currently looks similar, but that isn’t my plan.

My plan is a longnose truck with a red body.

I know like on this post

Question - do you plan a kind of suspension on truck? So far I can not see it due to but darker photo

4 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

I know like on this post

Question - do you plan a kind of suspension on truck? So far I can not see it due to but darker photo

No suspension. Too much work for a truck meant to be kept simple :laugh:

9 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

No suspension. Too much work for a truck meant to be kept simple :laugh:

My latest mocs are all fully suspended, so I was hoping that I'm not the only wired on Eurobricks :laugh:

7 hours ago, I_Igor said:

My latest mocs are all fully suspended, so I was hoping that I'm not the only wired on Eurobricks :laugh:

Lmao you have to make a giant gap in the chassis and make sure the supporting beams are strong enough if you want a decent truck-type live axle suspension. Just didn’t seem worth the time for this MOC.

1 hour ago, JLiu15 said:

Lmao you have to make a giant gap in the chassis and make sure the supporting beams are strong enough if you want a decent truck-type live axle suspension. Just didn’t seem worth the time for this MOC.

I use frames 11 X 5 and 5 X 7 to make chassis only one stud thick in area where axles go, so I have enough space for both steering and suspension...

2 hours ago, I_Igor said:

I use frames 11 X 5 and 5 X 7 to make chassis only one stud thick in area where axles go, so I have enough space for both steering and suspension...

Me too but it still bends when the springs compress. Two of my previous MOCs that used such a suspension had a pair of beams and frames in that area with a stud in between them, so essentially 3 studs thick worth of support above the gap. Maybe I’m doing something wrong or the problem goes away as the build progresses, but I try to stay on the safe side and not assume an area will reinforce itself naturally as more stuff is added in.

You should combine frame 11 X 5 with bent liftarms like here to get maximal stiffness

800x600.jpg

3 hours ago, I_Igor said:

You should combine frame 11 X 5 with bent liftarms like here to get maximal stiffness

That seems like it would work.

But I don’t feel like rebuilding 1/3 of the model from scratch just to include this feature. I never planned to give it suspension anyway.

Maybe on my next truck MOC.

Edited by JLiu15

15 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

That seems like it would work.

But I don’t feel like rebuilding 1/3 of the model from scratch just to include this feature. I never planned to give it suspension anyway.

Maybe on my next truck MOC.

You know best, it is your MOC, and it is up to me to help if I can

38 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

You know best, it is your MOC, and it is up to me to help if I can

Of course! I’ll see if I can try out such a design on some MOC soon.

Question: are you planning on using 49.5x20 wheels on that WIP you showed me? Because I have a MOC in mind that will potentially use double of those wheels on rear suspended axle.

Edited by JLiu15

2 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

Of course! I’ll see if I can try out such a design on some MOC soon.

Question: are you planning on using 49.5x20 wheels on that WIP you showed me? Because I have a MOC in mind that will potentially use double of those wheels on rear suspended axle.

It is in this moc (I have weakness for Unimog because my father worked in Unimog plant in late 1960s and early 1970s so I grow up with Unimogs)

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

...with rare 68.8 truck tires :wub: (this emoticon is for tires)

But let's go back to your moc and topic. My recommendation (for future MOC) is to build model which has suspension doable with available Lego parts to be as authentic as possible both in looks and functionality.

UPDATE 8/29/18

A little bit of progress on the chassis. The chassis has been extended to accommodate the battery box bracket and steering mechanism. The battery box is attached in a way that will allow it to be easily removed for battery replacement, although I don't think I would ever need to. This is really just to keep up with how official Lego sets allow the battery box to be removable for battery replacement. As for the steering, it will be all linkage based, without any rack-and-pinion mechanism. The key element here is a 5L axle with 24T gear + part 98585 + 5L beam. It's kinda hard to see, but once finished it will have a beam connected to either end of the 5L beam, the right one controlling the steering linkage and the left one controlling the working steering wheel. The decision to use a linkage based steering is because recent official truck sets (e.g. Arocs and Mack) have been omitting the rack and using linkages instead to work the steering. The greater degree of complexity and the presence of a working steering wheel should make steering much more interesting to operate.

If you guys have any questions for me, please let me know :classic:

Photos:

ztSckwr.jpg

KiXo5tz.jpg

4QBrThq.jpg

CYxPTsy.jpg

Edited by JLiu15