kbalage

LEGO RC range test - Powered Up, Power Functions, BuWizz, SBrick

While I was filming the review video of the new 60197 Passenger Train set I realized that the operating range of the remote is much better than I thought it would be based on the early reviews. Since I was able to test it indoors only with 10m distance (easily passed, even through 2 walls) I decided to compare it with all the different LEGO RC solutions I have. Took all the equipment outdoors to a remote area without any interference and tested the operating range. 

The aim was to find the distance where the connection was stable and the remote/app was still able to reconnect. I tested the following:
- LEGO Power Functions IR
- LEGO Powered UP hub with remote / with app control (LEGO Powered Up app 0.3.12)
- BuWizz v1 (BuWizz app 1.5.2)
- BuWizz v2 (BuWizz app 1.5.2)
- SBrick (SBrick app 4.4.13)

All applications were tested on my Huawei P9 smartphone with Android 7.0.

You can see the results in the video, I was really impressed by the performance of the new Powered Up hub. I'm not sure why the early reviews reported a significantly different range, I tested it in different conditions (indoors, in a garage, outdoors) and the performance was always very good.

Good info, thanks for making the video. Very curious to know why sariel's findings with the Power Up were so different...

Edited by Kelkschiz

good video , to bad you don't include Chinese clones. I prefer Hot Power 2.4g connection and its around 30m to 50m range. I bought three of them so far and the Lego Power up is looking good so far..  might be my next buy.   

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Power-Machinery-Techinc-Wireless-Remote-Receiver-2-4G-8885-Building-Blocks-Bricks-Educational-Toys-Model/32839862634.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.46784c4d6wEDq6

@kbalage

Interesting info.  I had loads of trouble communicating with LEGO Boost motor hub at a LEGO Discovery Centre event with two different brands of phones running the Boost app.  It didn't seem to be losing connection but commands weren't reponsive.  It worked great in my basement though. 

39 minutes ago, sirslayer said:

good video , to bad you don't include Chinese clones. I prefer Hot Power 2.4g connection and its around 30m to 50m range. I bought three of them so far and the Lego Power up is looking good so far..  might be my next buy.   

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Power-Machinery-Techinc-Wireless-Remote-Receiver-2-4G-8885-Building-Blocks-Bricks-Educational-Toys-Model/32839862634.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.46784c4d6wEDq6

@kbalage

It doesn't appear to be FCC certified and not safe to eat.

Brand Name: YuwanToys

Material: Plastic

Plastic Type: ABS

Plastic Block Shape: Self-Locking Bricks

Age Range: > 6 years old

Warning: no eat

Model Number: 8885

Certification: 3C

3C: Certificate

Certificate Number: 2017012203937051

Barcode: No

@Kelkschiz Thanks, I also wondered why @Sariel  had very different results, maybe there was some interference on the street where he tested.

@sirslayer I don't own any Chinese clone parts and I don't plan to purchase them so no tests with them, sorry :)

@dr_spock I forgot to bring the Boost hub with me this time, I'll make sure to test the range later. Only used the Boost hub indoors so far with a range of 1-2 meters without any issues.

3 hours ago, sirslayer said:

Can you share your experience with this clone? No interference with WiFi or other 2.4G devices like remote switches, light bulbs, etc.? TLC might need to consider this as a viable option in stead of IR.

Edited by emielroumen

Well, early this year I wanted to order a few IR receivers  @ lego.com and they were on back order.. So I discovered aliexpress and seen the clones..  I went and order one and next few weeks the Hot Power 2.4g was in my hands.. I love the controller and range.  My back order came in a week later and I was very disappointed. Poor range and it has a small lag which seems a bit annoying. The Hot Power has very good range and you can even use it across walls and tables!! I have two wifi access points at my home and both are not affected .. The wifi are the same wave length but the controller are on different channels so it doesn't bleed into your network but I do notice you have better range using the set outside my home.I have a few videos on my sirslayer chassis thread and my 12 volt operation video shows the receiver range  . I do notice that the receiver acts like a 2,0 IR lego ??  I have 1.2 IR receiver and there is a difference on how the L motors work and it works very unpredictable  on the 1.2 IR.. I dont have a 2.0 IR so I can't really compare to the Hot power. For under 20 USD dollars and great range and good durability, Hot Power 2.4g kicks butt!!   

Edited by sirslayer
grammar

This video will give you an idea on the range of the RC unit. The 12 volts are only for motors and should never be hooked up to IR/2.4g receiver and Lego battery packs provide power to receiver and Lego switch connected to M motor to turn 12v on or off to motor  

Edited by sirslayer

On 7/16/2018 at 8:48 PM, kbalage said:

@Kelkschiz Thanks, I also wondered why @Sariel  had very different results, maybe there was some interference on the street where he tested.

It seems TLG is thinking the same thing as you are: 

"The range on the remote has been reported to be only 3-4 meters. What range is Powered Up supposed to have? Why is it so small?
The range of the BLE connection can be limited by different factors such as electromagnetic interference. Under normal circumstances the range should be well above 10 meters.
We are looking into the specific case giving only 3-4 meters range.
"  (quote from: https://lan.lego.com/news/overview/powered-up-afol-community-answers-r146/). 

Just now, Kelkschiz said:

It seems TLG is thinking the same thing as you are: 

It's good to see that they had the same conclusion :) Based on my earlier experience with BuWizz the Bluetooth connection can be heavily affected by other sources, e.g. if you operate 2.4 Ghz RC cars nearby that almost kills the BT connection.

A spectrum analyzer might be a handy tool to see what's going on.   There are many devices that use the 2.4GHz band: wifi, bluetooth, cordless phones, wireless security cameras, microwave ovens, etc.   Water can absorb radio waves in the 2.4GHz.  Having a lot of people around can impact your radio performance and signal strength since the human body has much water content.

Maybe I can test the interference of Bluetooth and 2.4ghz on weekends.

42128382880_0209cd5f6a_b.jpg

42128382940_82f5c9c5db_b.jpg

42128382970_96fafd1e18_b.jpg

Edited by jaffrry

Playing BUWIZZ 2.0 and CADA 2.4GHZ at the same time, there is no obvious mutual interference. BUWIZZ 2.0 can control distances of 15 meters CADA can control distances of 8 meters