Sign in to follow this  
Flavius Gratian

[COR - FB] Lady Belson - Class 4

The Lavendwood Commercial Trading Agricultural and Manufacturing Enterprise Limited was experiencing good times and expanding. Sugar plantations in Port Raleigh were building up a stable financial base while the Western Wind II had repeatedly brought in good profits during trade runs. It was now time for Hugo Lavendwood to launch his second trade vessel: Lady Belson.

42117877244_b5e4552a3a_o.png

A small brig capable of outrunning most large ships with enough hold space to carry cargo.

27966120667_23e30b8046_o.png

She is armed with two long nine stern chasers to fend off against pirates and five 4 pounders on each side if she should get cought up.

42834984191_96939a08cc_o.png

27966120557_51fa6a4f81_o.png

Finally, a capable and experienced crew will serve to keep her safe on the high seas.

42834984331_4f2aed857d_o.png

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So I've finally gotten around to using Bluerender!

I thought it was about time to expand my trading fleet, as I've been mostly building for HM Navy. Now that it's summer I'll probably spend a lot more time on ship building, in fact I've already started with some work that will be posted in due time.

Lady Belson is obviously based on Lady Washington. I was initially only going to use her as a base but then I thought those colours and everything looked quite nice so I took most of what Iiked.

I used this as a tutorial of sorts to practice building ships with more than one deck, and I think the aft half deck works quite well!

Comments and criticism is welcomed!

Edited by Flavius Gratian

Great looking LDD ship! I like the hull sloping and the colors are quite nice! :thumbup: Also, great job on the sails and rigging and the renders turned out awesome. How long did the sails take you?

3 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Great looking LDD ship! I like the hull sloping and the colors are quite nice! :thumbup: Also, great job on the sails and rigging and the renders turned out awesome. How long did the sails take you?

Thank you very much! While I don't remember the exact time the sails took me, it was easily the single most time consuming part of the ship; probably a few hours. 

29 minutes ago, Flavius Gratian said:

Thank you very much! While I don't remember the exact time the sails took me, it was easily the single most time consuming part of the ship; probably a few hours. 

You're welcome! I find that to be the most difficult part of building a ship, but you nailed it! Well, worth the effort!

To start: awesome ship. Not that I am a professional in this computer LEGO building but maybe I might suggest you make the sails a little bit more detailed for the next ship. That's my online negative remark. I am very impressed by the way the ships looks (very realistic) and I especially love the Corrington-navy-flag design a lot. I haven't seen that one yet. 

@Fraunces: Flavius may hold a different opinion, but typical adding sails and proper rigging to ships are one of the most difficult things to do in LDD. Some people (such as @Kolonialbeamter) can make the sails and rigging look almost real, but it requires hours of tweaking to get the right angles. Opposed to real bricks with paper or fabric sails. So for LDD, this is fantastic work. :thumbup:

I'm not coming down on you at all or discrediting your constructive criticism, just wanted to let you know.

Excellent build Flavius, and well rendered as well. I really like the colours, and the vessel is very realistic as well. Great work, and let's hope she lives a long life on the brick seas. 

She's a beautiful vessel for sure Flavius! Great job - the hull shape and mast layout are both excellently done and she looks great a full sail! Best wishes and happy sailing!

8 hours ago, Fraunces said:

To start: awesome ship. Not that I am a professional in this computer LEGO building but maybe I might suggest you make the sails a little bit more detailed for the next ship. That's my online negative remark. I am very impressed by the way the ships looks (very realistic) and I especially love the Corrington-navy-flag design a lot. I haven't seen that one yet. 

Thank you! As @LM71Blackbird said, the sails are a real hassle, so this is about as much work as I'm willing to spend. I also view it as a bit of a placeholder as legosails are a bit strange. I'm trying to bring the different naval jacks into action, this red one is the merchant jack, I've previously used blue for naval vessels. Glad you appreciate it!

3 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Excellent build Flavius, and well rendered as well. I really like the colours, and the vessel is very realistic as well. Great work, and let's hope she lives a long life on the brick seas. 

Thank you very much! I agree the render worked well and she lookes quite close to the original. I hope so too!

2 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

She's a beautiful vessel for sure Flavius! Great job - the hull shape and mast layout are both excellently done and she looks great a full sail! Best wishes and happy sailing!

Thank you! Hopefully she'll earn some money!

Wow - now that ship is just beautiful!  Love both the colors and the curves, and although I do agree that the sails could use a bit more of a curve, the overall build is just very nice! :pir-sweet: