Ganto

Pikotu Beetle [BIONICLE MOC]

Pikotu Beetles are small, hungry insectoid rahi found in the dampest places of Le-Wahi. They are most numerous in the Lake Pala area just south of the Tren Krom break, and the Fau Swamp near Kini-Nui. They eat spongy vegetation such as vines and leaves, and love the humid, fresh water areas they live near. Some have a ram-like protrusion from their head, others have a large, horn-like claw. They use these for defense against predators such as brakas and hoi turtles.

5ae7ff7fa266f_beetleboxart2.jpg.d3465243f93f1d835abdc186c6d7e7fc.jpg

Click the image for HQ boxart.

Comments and critique welcome. This larger MOC uses parts from pre-2004, some color exceptions were made. The MOC itself has a unique function to unleash it's wings as you lift the elytra. The gear function is fairly simple, and isn't very ergonomic. I originally wanted to make a button feature, but everything collided with the head. The two separate models have almost the same number of parts, the blue one having a single extra piece. I think these are some of my favorite MOCs I've done, even if the function isn't very ergonomic. I hope you enjoy this MOC and the future MOCs I create.

Edited by Ganto

Super cool. It could pass as an early Rahi set (the box art helps). Do you have a video of the function?

These are pretty cool. I really like the idea of rahi that are built more so as early '00s technic sets with unique functions rather than the modern trend of form over all else. Seems like a relatively untapped area.

2 hours ago, Junior Shark said:

Super cool. It could pass as an early Rahi set (the box art helps). Do you have a video of the function?

Sadly I don't have a video. I do, however have confirmation that it works. Unfortunately I can only show a function if it's powered by locomotion and not gears.

3 minutes ago, optimus-convoy said:

These are pretty cool. I really like the idea of rahi that are built more so as early '00s technic sets with unique functions rather than the modern trend of form over all else. Seems like a relatively untapped area.

Thank you so much! It's tough sticking to limited parts, but it gives me a nice challenge and gives it that nice look I like. I've always loved function over form.

As I have already said, this is the kind of mocs that I love the most to see. Stellar work, it really makes me want to build these guys myself and put them side by side with my 2001 sets.

On 02/05/2018 at 11:42 AM, Ganto said:

Sadly I don't have a video. I do, however have confirmation that it works. Unfortunately I can only show a function if it's powered by locomotion and not gears.

It’s all good- I think I get the general idea of how it’s supposed to work. Do you have a rubber band in there to help the function?

These MOCs are just wonderful, and the 01 style box art gets me all nostalgic. I'm curious, do you have a Flickr or Instagram account? I'd hate to see these MOCs get buried in a forum forever.

2 hours ago, Mitch Henry said:

These MOCs are just wonderful, and the 01 style box art gets me all nostalgic. I'm curious, do you have a Flickr or Instagram account? I'd hate to see these MOCs get buried in a forum forever.

Thanks so much! I'm actually not a fan of those sites. So I don't, unfortunately. I will be opening up a Discord chat and a patreon for my art soon, though. Lots of things I want to do in the next 6 months. 

On 5/6/2018 at 2:20 PM, Junior Shark said:

It’s all good- I think I get the general idea of how it’s supposed to work. Do you have a rubber band in there to help the function?

There's no rubber band. I've been trying to steer away from the elastics after a drastic function failure with another one of my MOCs. 

I love the 2001 style mocs, this reminds me of a challange I set for my self, to make different rahi with every possible comination of 2 bohrok va (like the hapaka being white and blue, or the red and green pokawi.. I'll eventually get around to creating a topic about it) think I got around 15 out of it! but I love your work!!

Edited by Banana92