Fenghuang0296

Cutting baseplates?

(I've put this in Town because I wasn't sure where else to put it.)

So I'm trying to assemble a 64x32 layout around standard 32x32 baseplates, and (long story) I have a left-over 48x48 light bley baseplate that I can't see any immediate use for. I know this will offend purists, but I'm wondering if it might be easier (and cheaper) to cut the 48x48 into a 32x48 and a 16x48, and then cut the latter into a 16x32 and leftover 16x16. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to how to go about this? All of the joins will be covered, but they will be adjacent to other baseplates so there can't be any scope for overlap. Does anyone have any ideas?

A friend of mine uses a flat-bed hatchet paper cutter for base plates; perfect results.
Personally, I wouldn't dream of butchering any LEGO part in any way whatsoever, but I understand your question. Makes sense.

Remember what the purists say: Every time you cut up a LEGO part, a hamster dies :laugh:

Best of luck, and keep clicking those bricks together!

If you're struggling with filling awkward gaps in your layout then you could always scrap the base plates altogether and instead use my method of creating base plates from card. It might not be the best option for purists but at least you can make the plates, roads or whatever exactly the size you want them to be.

If all the joins will be covered anyway, then you don't need to worry too much about the accuracy of the cuts so long as you undercut or file off any overcut sticking out edges. A knife blade will give a decent cut if repeated many times, a cheap hacksaw will be less straight but faster. You can cut as straight as you can down the middle of rows of studs, then use a file to remove any excess, or you can do two cuts to make sure you have no overlap with neighbouring plates.

An alternative is to use them as they are and use the extra space to put a lake or park or something relevant, if it all still fits in the display area.

1 minute ago, MAB said:

An alternative is to use them as they are and use the extra space to put a lake or park or something relevant, if it all still fits in the display area.

Unfortunately, that's not an option; the 64x32 space is enclosed on three sides by standard 32x32 baseplates. Really, the only reason I'm not just going out buying a couple of extra 32x32s is that tan retired last year (and neither Minecraft green nor blue will work) and I don't really feel like going online to order some when I've already got the 48x48 and it would be cheaper and faster to just cut it up and repurpose it. 

OK, so just cut it very slightly smaller than it should be so no overlaps with neighbouring baseplates, and cover the edges with plates or bricks.

So you have a 48x48 tan baseplate?  I don't understand the argument about not buying two 32x32 baseplates because you can't get them in tan, so now you want to cut a non-Tan 48x48 baseplate (because, according to BL, it doesn't exist, so if you have one it's worth a small fortune, so please don't cut it), and it's going to be covered anyway....

For the record, it's your LEGO baseplate, and you can do whatever you want to it, and you certainly don't need "permission" from anyone here, but it seems like a long way to go to get the equivalent of two 32x32 baseplates.

If you insist on cutting it, I would use a metal edge (I have a metal square - something like that would help make sure your cut is perpendicular to the side), and score it with an exacto or utility knife several times, then go harder until you cut all the way through.  You could also use a band-saw, if you had one, especially if you have a jig to align it perfectly.  It would be messy, but you could lightly file it after

I outline the outside of where I want to cut with 1x8 tiles and 'score' the baseplate.  Once I get enough of it scored, I then bend the baseplate and it usually snaps into two separate sections.  Then if I need another cut...repeat with the tiles and score, score, score, bend.  I use this method on all of the baseplates with track in the NILTC yard.

I cut baseplates to fit the ribba frame. Just made a dent by passing various times with a cutter on the line I want to cut till it can bend it towards the side of the studs. It will come off easily.

On 18/04/2018 at 5:12 PM, fred67 said:

So you have a 48x48 tan baseplate?  I don't understand the argument about not buying two 32x32 baseplates because you can't get them in tan, so now you want to cut a non-Tan 48x48 baseplate (because, according to BL, it doesn't exist, so if you have one it's worth a small fortune, so please don't cut it), and it's going to be covered anyway....

It says LIGHT BLEY 48x48 in the OP.

I succumbed to cutting base plates to make this street ramp work properly. On the level areas, the base plate just slips under the modular as much as needed but going up hill that wasn't an options. I cut the baseplates to the road width of 21 studs on my table saw. I would put the baseplate directly on the table saw, then cover it with a scrape piece of plywood and cut both at the same time. This would prevent the flimsy plastic from flopping around and making a bad cut.

40160650181_e09f1e221f_b_d.jpg

8 minutes ago, ecmo47 said:

I succumbed to cutting base plates to make this street ramp work properly. On the level areas, the base plate just slips under the modular as much as needed but going up hill that wasn't an options. I cut the baseplates to the road width of 21 studs on my table saw. I would put the baseplate directly on the table saw, then cover it with a scrape piece of plywood and cut both at the same time. This would prevent the flimsy plastic from flopping around and making a bad cut.

That's an impressive-looking layout. But quick question; why not simply build an appropriately sized assembly of plates and prop it up using a Technic structure? That's what I plan to do for the small part of my planned layout that will be elevated. 

As for the questions regarding my intentions, allow me to clarify; the edges of the baseplate will all be covered, but parts of them will still be exposed. And tan and light bley will both work more-or-less equally well for what I have in mind. That said, because I own a spare light bley 48x48 and no tan 32x32s, I have gone ahead and cut it to suit my purpose. 

On 22/04/2018 at 12:58 PM, Blk69 said:

It's your stuff, have fun with it!

As for purist, just use an office TLG knife when cutting.....that should satisfy everyone.:laugh:

Thank you for the opinion. And . . there are official TLG knifes? I didn't know that. Where can I get one? XD

7 hours ago, MAB said:

It says LIGHT BLEY 48x48 in the OP.

True, my bad, but then it makes even less sense to not buy 32x32 just because you can't them in tan anymore.

3 hours ago, fred67 said:

True, my bad, but then it makes even less sense to not buy 32x32 just because you can't *get* them in tan anymore.

Light bley and tan will both work for my plan. The two currently available colours of 32x32, however, bright green and blue, will not. And my objective here is to save money, IE buying as few things as possible to complete the objective. 

On 4/24/2018 at 6:29 AM, Feng-huang0296 said:

That's an impressive-looking layout. But quick question; why not simply build an appropriately sized assembly of plates and prop it up using a Technic structure? That's what I plan to do for the small part of my planned layout that will be elevated. 

Because there is nothing "simple" about doing that. Loads more pieces plus you would have to use a ton of regular plates which are thicker then the base plates. Why use tons of parts and time on something you never see? You don't build your train table out of Lego just to be a "purist".

great layout, is this the back of the city? because it's strange to have the highest part in front.

No it's just another street and this ones is behind the train yard. I elevated it so that you could see the buildings and street scenes above all the trains, especially the kids. Here's a better view:

40407877871_0050a29ef5_b_d.jpg