LM71Blackbird

[COR - FB] Quinnsville Monument

Quinnsville Monument

41239015761_042e845326_b.jpgQV1.3 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

While Captain Nathaniel Brickford was making his way to the Military District of Quinnsville, he stumbled upon an exceptionally crafted monument. Upon closer inspection, he realized that man on display was the one-and-only Sir Thomas Smaugton, former mayor of Quinnsville. Nathaniel had heard much about Sir Smaugton and his many accomplishments. He founded Quinnsville and led the infamous Junkyard Fleet before one day retiring and suddenly disappearing. Nathaniel figured this might be something of interest to Governor Cooke, so he pulled out his paper and penned another quick note.

40446168321_57c7e605c1_b.jpgQV1.2 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Dear Captain Cooke,

Today I stumbled upon a monument of beautiful craftsmanship. I found out that it was built to commemorate and remember Sir Thomas Smaugton, whom you know founded Quinnsville. I believe the status and relative order throughout the settlement can be attributed much to his leadership and guidance while mayor. Given time we should be able to build upon the foundation he established and build Quinnsville into a extremely prosperous city.

In service to her Majesty,

Captain Nathaniel Brickford,

Military Attaché to Quinnsville

Thanks for checking out my latest Quinnsville build! I haven't had time to work on the larger structures for Quinnsville that I wanted to yet, so I figured I'd post an in-between build. It will be licensed as a small arts & culture. C&C are welcome and appreciated! Thanks for looking!

Excellent statue! and good job on the landscaping around it. I like how you used different textures.

Nice build commemorating the founder of Quinnsville, I'm really liking that statue and the stairs! :pir-sweet:

20 minutes ago, Bart said:

Excellent statue! and good job on the landscaping around it. I like how you used different textures.

Thank you very much Bart!

10 minutes ago, Garmadon said:

Nice build commemorating the founder of Quinnsville, I'm really liking that statue and the stairs! :pir-sweet:

Thank you! Even though Tomsche kinda bailed on Bobs, from what I understand he was pretty active. I thought it was right to do something.

Great monument!

It is quite a shame that @Tomsche has left the game, but commemorating him in this way is a nice nod to his legacy. I really like both the idea and the build! :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Great monument!

It is quite a shame that @Tomsche has left the game, but commemorating him in this way is a nice nod to his legacy. I really like both the idea and the build! :thumbup:

Thanks Drunknok! I got the idea about a month ago (and have had it built for about a month) after I saw the monument in Mesabi Landing. I figured it would be a good build for the beginning of rebuilding Quinnsville.

I have never worked with LDD, so I am curious: how difficult is posing something like this statue in it? The pose is a good one for a monument, and getting it done with minifigs is a matter of seconds. But I have read more than once people complaining about the difficulties of minifig placement in LDD. How did this one go?

@DrunknokWell as another LDD builder I applaud @LM71Blackbird on the posing. You have to do quit some trial and error to get the 'feeling' for how to use the tools in LDD. it's not a matter of seconds even for a skilled user. I don't know how to explain it to somebody who doesn't use LDD. but you have to select every part separatly and choose the rotating axes (some have several) adjust the degrees, click the next, etc. 
Sometimes you cannot rotate a part because it is connected on the other side too. for example you can't rotate the hip, you have to rotate each leg individually. And ones rotate LDD sometimes refuses to connect bricks. so you have to build a rig to move a piece to almost the same angles before it is able to snap into place.

I think I could spend around 20 minutes on a pose like that, with several minute adjustments untill it feels right. change the colours to some others, keeping in mind how the render effects them and all. 

Bart

@Bart

Thanks for this explaination. It sounds like a lot of work for something that can be done so easily with "real" bricks. But in this case it is definitely worth the effort. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Bart said:

I think I could spend around 20 minutes on a pose like that, with several minute adjustments untill it feels right. change the colours to some others, keeping in mind how the render effects them and all

Couldn't agree more! Of course that time lessens the more you get involved in rotating stuff in LDD, still it is annoyingly time consuming. For me, the most annoying part is when you have to rotate two pieces and place them at the exact same angle in order to snap to a third piece (a minifig grasping a musket with both hands for example).

Edited by blackdeathgr

@Drunknok: Both Bart and blackdeathgr are correct. It takes a lot of patience and practice in order to get good at LDD! Posing can be the most annoying, especially when you have a lot of minifigures. For this build in particular, the posing only took about 10 minutes. Most of the time for this model was getting the monument itself to have just the right amount of decoration.