letsbuild

[LB-X18] Collaboration/Group Project

After reading this I remembered something I built a while ago. Maybe you can use part of it somehow? I know suspension isn't my job, but I couldn't not try to help. 

800x480.jpg

6 minutes ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

After reading this I remembered something I built a while ago. Maybe you can use part of it somehow? I know suspension isn't my job, but I couldn't not try to help. 

No, that doesn't work. The power (from/to the engine) needs to go through the housing, not through the outputs of the differential.

Edited by letsbuild

46 minutes ago, letsbuild said:

No, that doesn't work. The power (from/to the engine) needs to go through the housing, not through the outputs of the differential.

What housing do you mean? The gear part of the differential? (Not the small ones on the inside that spin.) 

13 hours ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

The gear part of the differential?

Yes, the part that holds the smaller gears :wink:

Great to see that this project is really taking off. I have pinned the topic.

21 minutes ago, Jim said:

Great to see that this project is really taking off. I have pinned the topic.

Thanks, it will be great to see it finished.

@letsbuild Do we have an official command for: 25 wide or turntable wheel hubs?

I need to know so I can adjust things.

Edit: 25 studs is the answer! (page 5)

20 hours ago, letsbuild said:

Ok, we can extend the wheelbase to 25 studs wide, but we'll need to keep most of the bodywork fairly narrow. Maybe design it to look like it has a widebody kit.

@Aventador2004, in my perception we have a decision. Also, the turntable-based hubs won't be a solution for the front axles at this scale. Let's move on with 25 studs width and keep the wide body kit idea in mind. EDIT: Btw, I suppose @letsbuild is referring to track-width rather than wheelbase.

Edited by Didumos69

14 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

@Aventador2004, in my perception we have a decision. Also, the turntable-based hubs won't be a solution for the front axles at this scale. Let's move on with 25 studs width and keep the wide body kit idea in mind. EDIT: Btw, I suppose @letsbuild is referring to track-width rather than wheelbase.

Yes, wheelbase is long ways of the car.

Thank You, I found that on last page.

Wonder what our length will be.

31 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

EDIT: Btw, I suppose @letsbuild is referring to track-width rather than wheelbase.

I am referring to how wide the car will be in total, minus the wing mirrors. So, with the wheels on the axle, the whole thing should not be wider than 25 studs.

Just now, letsbuild said:

I am referring to how wide the car will be in total, minus the wing mirrors. So, with the wheels on the axle, the whole thing should not be wider than 25 studs.

:thumbup:

I haven't read any word, so forgive if I have missed it. Are you going for a modular bodywork approach? In other words; when we have the chassis, we can continue this project by building multiple bodies?

Just now, Jim said:

I haven't read any word, so forgive if I have missed it. Are you going for a modular bodywork approach? In other words; when we have the chassis, we can continue this project by building multiple bodies?

I hadn't thought about that. It's a good idea. Let's see what everyone else has to say.

1 hour ago, Aventador2004 said:

Wonder what our length will be.

I'd say the track-width / wheelbase ratio should be somewhere between the golden ratio (1.62) and 1.7 which is used for F1 cars. But for that we need to realize that track-width is actually measured from wheel-center to wheel-center. If the total width of the car without wing mirrors is 25L, than the track-width will be around 21L, but let's take into account we have slight  overwidth and work with 19L. That would mean the wheel-base should be about 31L to 32L.

main-qimg-1dba1da6ff0795bc2d841a63984907

Edited by Didumos69

I have quickly put an example drivetrain in a wheelbase of 31 studs (heart to heart). If we have a default angle for the suspension arms - and thus for the male cv-parts - of.13 degrees, then that lifts the bottom of the car by one stud. That in turn allows the longitudinal drive axle with gears and center-diff and all to run underneath the diff houses, while maintaining a ground clearance of one stud. To give an idea I have put my rugged supercar drivetrain with 4-speed gearbox layout in the example. If you want, I could.share the lxf later tonight as a reference.

Edited by Didumos69

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Are you going for a modular bodywork approach?

That would be a good idea, as I think it would also make it easier for the designers - allowing the body and the chassis to be built separately, rather than on to each other.

2 hours ago, letsbuild said:

I hadn't thought about that. It's a good idea. Let's see what everyone else has to say.

I say modular, we may need a bodywork designer who is sure of helping.

I am all for modular if it is by the same designer, but if there are more people, it may kind of have clashing body styles. Otherwise, I am fine with non-modular.

50 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I am all for modular if it is by the same designer, but if there are more people, it may kind of have clashing body styles. Otherwise, I am fine with non-modular.

Not at all nasty question, are you part of this car design?

10 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

Not at all nasty question, are you part of this car design?

In fact, he is! He has to design the pop-up headlights for this model.

32 minutes ago, letsbuild said:

In fact, he is! He has to design the pop-up headlights for this model.

Great! Wasn't sure.

@KikoTube that axle looks great :thumbup:

23 minutes ago, KikoTube said:

New front axle: 

https://bricksafe.com/files/KikoTube/FrontAxleKiko.lxf

Drive on Bottom as wanted:

Didn't look at.the lxf yet, but from the picture it looks great. I like the use of double shocks which brings symmetry. Usually moving the steering pivots 1 stud away from the steering axis requires more movement in the gearrack than the 7L gearrack allows, but with the limited steering angle defined by the CV+joints, this might work out just fine. Only concern I have: do the steering links not collide with the shocks in turns?

12 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

Didn't look at.the lxf yet, but from the picture it looks great. I like the use of double shocks which brings symmetry. Usually moving the steering pivots 1 stud away from the steering axis requires more movement in the gearrack than the 7L gearrack allows, but with the limited steering angle defined by the CV+joints, this might work out just fine. Only concern I have: do the steering links not collide with the shocks in turns?

Hmm, i think a half stud should be enough between shocks and steering links. But I would be grateful if somebody could build it and try it out.