xxix5

When Should City be Cancelled?

@icm You da man! Thanks for the help. 

I see they've already went along with my recommendation for Police btw. 

Also, shouldn't the hospital go under fire brigade as most of the time....medical first responders usually work alongside them? 

32 minutes ago, icm said:

LEGO® City sub-themes add and expand on the traditional LEGO brick-built city.

So in other words.....they've got more options. 

2 hours ago, icm said:

From https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/city/faq:

"

Why do LEGO® City have sub-themes and what are they?

LEGO® City strives to give children a building experience that exemplifies: “Real Action, Real Fun”. To correspond with the wide array of different experiences, buildings, vehicles, and people children will encounter, the LEGO® City sub-themes add and expand on the traditional LEGO brick-built city.

The current LEGO® City Subthemes are as follows:

Police (Sky Police, Mountain Police & Classic Police)

Fire Brigade

Great Vehicles

Trains

Arctic Expedition

Town

Mining Experts"

Interesting, thanks I had never seen that page. So that makes me wonder why they don't use subthemes on the boxes or on the shop website. It seems strange to define them but not actually use them on product boxes or as filters for when people are shopping.

I guess I am not the only one, as looking at that they do put all the police under one subtheme so this question here is somewhat irrelevant. They are not separate subthemes, they are one subtheme called Police.

On 1/17/2020 at 2:55 PM, Brandon Pea said:

Why have them in separate subthemes under City when they can been all under the City Police subtheme? That's also a good question too. But noooooo! They have to be separate subthemes under City with 4 or more sets under the subtheme. They can't just do what they did with the two 2020 fire sets and just throw them out there subtheme free without a headquarters. 

2 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

@icm You da man! Thanks for the help. 

I see they've already went along with my recommendation for Police btw. 

Also, shouldn't the hospital go under fire brigade as most of the time....medical first responders usually work alongside them? 

Not in all countries. Ambulance and Fire are completely different services in the UK and most of Europe.

On 1/20/2020 at 3:03 PM, MAB said:

Not in all countries. Ambulance and Fire are completely different services in the UK and most of Europe.

That's understandable. Where I live, medics usually work along the firefighters. But anyway, Medical subtheme for 2021 anyone? 

On 1/20/2020 at 3:03 PM, MAB said:

Interesting, thanks I had never seen that page. So that makes me wonder why they don't use subthemes on the boxes or on the shop website. It seems strange to define them but not actually use them on product boxes or as filters for when people are shopping.

They did that from 2017 to 2019. But they really should've kept it that way. If it were up to me, they'd have a picture of a certain picture at the top corner of the boxes to determine what subtheme is which. Like a badge for Police, a flame for Fire, a house next to some kind of office for Town or a steering wheel for Great Vehicles similar to how they have it on the website. 

I guess I am not the only one, as looking at that they do put all the police under one subtheme so this question here is somewhat irrelevant. They are not separate subthemes, they are one subtheme called Police.

I guess I stand corrected on that one. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

10 minutes ago, Maple said:

I think people here take LEGO way too seriously. 

We're fans! Of course we take it seriously. 

Though I do have to admit that some folks don't get Lego humor. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

@MAB @icm For me personally, with that being said about police, I would also nationalize the expedition sets too.....since that's what we do anyway. 

Explorers (space, arctic, mine, jungle, volcano and deep sea) 

39 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

For me personally, with that being said about police, I would also nationalize the expedition sets too.....since that's what we do anyway. 

Explorers (space, arctic, mine, jungle, volcano and deep sea) 

What do you mean by "nationalize"? :shrug_confused:

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

What do you mean by "nationalize"? :shrug_confused:

Nationalization means to bring two or more things under a single force. It was a term used in Britain in 1948 when the Great Western Railway (GWR), the London Midlands and Scottish Railway (LMS), London and Notheastern Railway (LNER) and Southern Railway (SR) all came together to form British Railways (BR). 

However, I use that term simply because from my perspective, it just fits in the case of the system with Lego City. 

I think that City is just City.

Even with it's sets outside of the actual City, for example, 2019 Desert Rally Racer, or 2020 Safari Off-Roader.

While I know subthemes exist, I don't see a need to split City up further.

Back in the 80s/90s , themes like Trains,  (floating) Boats, Res-Q, or Divers could be either seen as their own themes, or part of Town (Brickset even lists them under Town), even while they were listed seperately in catalogs, now generally we see such things under City.

Right now they show a minifig in the topright corner of the box, generally directing to the "subtheme". But even back during Town, they often had some icon in the corner of the box as well.

Videos like this don't care about "subthemes" at all, as you see Fire, Police, People Pack, Donut Shop, Space sets all in 1 same timeline/location.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 minute ago, Brandon Pea said:

Nationalization means to bring two or more things under a single force. It was a term used in Britain in 1948 when the Great Western Railway (GWR), the London Midlands and Scottish Railway (LMS), London and Notheastern Railway (LNER) and Southern Railway (SR) all came together to form British Railways (BR). 

However, I use that term simply because from my perspective, it just fits in the case of the system with Lego City. 

So, how are you using the term within the context of City's exploration subthemes? I still don't understand... :def_shrug:

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

So, how are you using the term within the context of City's exploration subthemes? I still don't understand... :def_shrug:

Oh....and to answer your question, here's how. 

Arctic, Mining, Space are all separate City subthemes right?

Now we merge all of those into one new City subtheme - Explorers. That's basically how it has to do with it.

Unfortunately I can't really say a lot because I'm busy right now. But that's basically the short version of a long explanation. 

14 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Arctic, Mining, Space are all separate City subthemes right?

Now we merge all of those into one new City subtheme - Explorers. That's basically how it has to do with it.

Ah, I see. The thing is though, the way I see it, all those subthemes already do sit under such an umbrella, just in the same way Adventurers' Desert, Jungle, Dino Island, and Orient Expedition subthemes all sat under one umbrella.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Ah, I see. The thing is though, the way I see it, all those subthemes already do sit under such an umbrella, just in the same way Adventurers' Desert, Jungle, Dino Island, and Orient Expedition subthemes all sat under one umbrella.

Yeah. I would have to agree. So my recommendation is kinds pointless. 

Just now, Brandon Pea said:

Yeah. I would have to agree. So my recommendation is kinds pointless. 

Besides, annual Police subthemes all sit under the same umbrella, so likewise I think of the annual exploration subthemes in the same manner.

I still think it's complicated to fully name each Subtheme properly when even big fansites like Brickset have some weird sorting.

Even over there some City "subthemes" are all over the place, with Great Vehicles, Traffic, Town and General :

2007 and 2016 Service Station are under Traffic, 2020 set under General

2009 Garage under Traffic , 2019 4+ Garage under Town, 2020 Tuning Workshop under General

2020 vehicles are all listed under Traffic while 2019 listed them under Great Vehicles

2017 Bus Station listed under Town,  2010 Public Transport Station under Traffic

Unless they haven't sorted the 2020 sets yet, it's a bit weird atm.

Edited by TeriXeri

@TeriXeri I call it the Race subtheme. Though the Stunt Team gives more of a vibe to the Extreme Team subtheme than a revival  of the Race subtheme from the 90s. Its rumored to be called Turbo Wheels. I guess we'll  have to wait until it shows up on the official site to get confirmation. 

So far, that's my favorite wave for 2020. 

3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Even over there some City "subthemes" are all over the place, with Great Vehicles, Traffic, Town and General :

Those that are from (bold). Maybe its time brickset needs to label just the main "city"

But you know what's the odd part.(i'm gonna be out of topic here)

Most of the City sets have commercials but some don't. The best example would be the 60204 Hospital.

Help me out here cause I'm curious on how lego do their business when it comes to a specific set.

I won't be surprise if the answer is D2C. If it is, then ignore this post as its useless. :tongue:

10 minutes ago, AMD said:

Most of the City sets have commercials but some don't. The best example would be the 60204 Hospital.

Yeah! That one especially should've had at least one commercial. Same with the bus station and Cargo terminal from 2017. 

19 minutes ago, AMD said:

Maybe its time brickset needs to label just the main "city"

I do have to admit that the whole subtheme thing is too disorganized now than it was back in 2008.

@TeriXeri Though I do have to admit that the writer of this thread does have a point. 

It kind does seem like City only focuses on first responders, exploration and discovery and great vehicles. That's why the four automotive sets surprised me. 

That's just my point of view. You don't need to challenge me because I'm not speaking for anyone else. I'm seeing it from my point of view. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

5 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

@TeriXeri Though I do have to admit that the writer of this thread does have a point. 

That's just my point of view. You don't need to challenge me because I'm not speaking for anyone else. I'm seeing it from my point of view. 

Where am I challenging you?

6 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Where am I challenging you?

Oh no. I wasn't accusing you. I was just saying that in case someone DID want to make my statement seem false. So that's why I said, I only speak from my perspective. I don't speak for anyone else. 

So to answer the question of this thread, City will NEVER be cancelled.

But I do forsee City only putting its focus on vehicles. I wouldn't mind that tbh. Children probably wouldn't mind that either considering that vehicles are what help the theme. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

I always just thougt City referred to the scale basically, meaning that City sets kind of fit together with each other making for a better play experience. So I would think City would never end, of course I am probably totally off base and it is only my perception that no one else shares with me.