Sign in to follow this  
Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #159: An Unexpected Return - Sewers

"Most of all we're fans of your work. At least, I am. I'm a bit of a writer myself, but I haven't published anything...at least not in Eubric. The amazing details and colourful language you used to cover the latest happenings in Eubric was certainly awe-inspiring. I may not be rich, but I would like to make a contribution to the paper, since I know such things can be hard to fund. I would be pleased if you could honour the request of my...associate. I lean forward and whisper to him. "You know how women can be so hard to please once they get their minds set on something."

2 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"Sure. One could say that." Karie replies. "I read into Filly's article and found it well written. They picked up on a story that seemingly went against the grain of the rest of yesterday's Herald: seemingly giving some amount of sympathy to the former Heroicans. Seeing how it was an editorial, I'd like to follow up on the article and ask if they're interested in joining a small union I'm working at starting. Seeing as how there was no name attached to the article, I was hoping you'd provide the name for me. It won't affect your profits, I promise.

I don't think I caught a name either. Who might you be?"

9926272374_a25eb9a592_t.jpg
"Rook, I own the Herald. Tell me about this union, is it some sort of writer's group? I can assure you that none of my employees will be interested."

13 minutes ago, Palathadric said:

"Most of all we're fans of your work. At least, I am. I'm a bit of a writer myself, but I haven't published anything...at least not in Eubric. The amazing details and colourful language you used to cover the latest happenings in Eubric was certainly awe-inspiring. I may not be rich, but I would like to make a contribution to the paper, since I know such things can be hard to fund. I would be pleased if you could honour the request of my...associate. I lean forward and whisper to him. "You know how women can be so hard to please once they get their minds set on something."

The orc blushes slightly and then smiles.
"Ah a man who recognizes hard hitting investigative journalism! What sort of contribution are we talking about here?"

18 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

9926272374_a25eb9a592_t.jpg"Ah a man who recognizes hard hitting investigative journalism! What sort of contribution are we talking about here?"

"Oh, really, just a small tippence. Just to "refill the inkwells" if you know what I mean. Perhaps to the tune of thirty pieces."

14 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"Oh, really, just a small tippence. Just to "refill the inkwells" if you know what I mean. Perhaps to the tune of thirty pieces."

"Such a generous donation." As pretzel hands out the 30 gold, the orc smiles. "I don't have a name, only an address. Payments have been delivered to the Winking Gargoyle Inn across town."

"While we're at it, I'm intrigued to know, have you had dealings with Heroica before? Would you say that they have generally had a positive or negative effect on the city's population?"

I hand the orc the 30 gold.

2 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"While we're at it, I'm intrigued to know, have you had dealings with Heroica before? Would you say that they have generally had a positive or negative effect on the city's population?"

I hand the orc the 30 gold.

"Heroica eh? They did a job for this paper once, it was adequate, my staff still had a lot of explaining to do afterwards. I would have said at one time they were this city's greatest hope, but that disappeared long ago when they became embattled in the houses' politics."

The orc stares at the party as if trying to piece something together.

2 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Heroica eh? They did a job for this paper once, it was adequate, my staff still had a lot of explaining to do afterwards. I would have said at one time they were this city's greatest hope, but that disappeared long ago when they became embattled in the houses' politics."

The orc stares at the party as if trying to piece something together.

"I couldn't agree agree more." Karie replied. "Though, if what I heard was correct, some heroes decided to stay out of the house's petty politics. They believed that Heroica shouldn't become involved in such squabbles, for they believed that the corruption rife within the houses would leech into Heroica itself.

What's your opinion on the Heroicans who're currently being hunted down in the city? You can be honest with us. I'm no snitch." Karie inquires, leaning on the desk. 

42 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

"I couldn't agree agree more." Karie replied. "Though, if what I heard was correct, some heroes decided to stay out of the house's petty politics. They believed that Heroica shouldn't become involved in such squabbles, for they believed that the corruption rife within the houses would leech into Heroica itself.

What's your opinion on the Heroicans who're currently being hunted down in the city? You can be honest with us. I'm no snitch." Karie inquires, leaning on the desk. 

"They attacked the Town Watch and the Paladin Order, killed some of them. If that ain't treasonous to this city I don't know what is. Hey, you look a little familiar, do I know you?"

Just now, Waterbrick Down said:

"They attacked the Town Watch and the Paladin Order, killed some of them. If that ain't treasonous to this city I don't know what is. Hey, you look a little familiar, do I know you?"

"What if that's not the whole story? What if it's fake news?"

"Yep, faction wars...it's what it all boils down to, ain't it? It's a shame really! Seeds of corruption always end up in problems."

1 hour ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"I can't say we've ever met." Karie responds honestly. "If we have, it might've been in passing. I tend to not follow about in crowds." Karie squints her eyes at Rook, trying to figure out what he wants. She has a good idea, but her lack of information on the strange orc makes question herself.

"I do, however, find your sudden faith in the Founders to be quite odd. Tell me, what about them strikes you as trustworthy? Five dead Heroicans show up out of nowhere and suddenly this city falls behind them, lock in step? Where did they come from? How did they get here? Where is the Fae One? For someone who claims to love hard hitting journalism, you seem to have forgotten some key facts." Karie lays her hands down on the table. "Heroica turned into a rotten hive of scum and villainy because of the meddling of the houses, and it's turned into something that I honestly don't know what to make of. I want information you have so I can get to the bottom of this, and figure out if we truly need to worry about the new regime, because if you aren't, I will. If you tell me who Frustrated Flying Filly is, perhaps the two of us can come to some kind of agreement? Cash? Information? A story for your readership?" Karie looked Rook in the eyes as she laid down her argument, using her diplomacy to hopefully win him over. 

Throlar equips the Skull Mask.

"Honestly, I never noticed any politics aside from the Wolfgang supporters. Wish I had though, politics are essentially my job. Not that I"ve ever done my job, but still."

Throlar perked up when he heard Karie mention the number of founders that had returned.

"Wait a minute, does anyone have a copy of the latest issue of the Herald?"

7 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"I can't say we've ever met." Karie responds honestly. "If we have, it might've been in passing. I tend to not follow about in crowds." Karie squints her eyes at Rook, trying to figure out what he wants. She has a good idea, but her lack of information on the strange orc makes question herself.

"I do, however, find your sudden faith in the Founders to be quite odd. Tell me, what about them strikes you as trustworthy? Five dead Heroicans show up out of nowhere and suddenly this city falls behind them, lock in step? Where did they come from? How did they get here? Where is the Fae One? For someone who claims to love hard hitting journalism, you seem to have forgotten some key facts." Karie lays her hands down on the table. "Heroica turned into a rotten hive of scum and villainy because of the meddling of the houses, and it's turned into something that I honestly don't know what to make of. I want information you have so I can get to the bottom of this, and figure out if we truly need to worry about the new regime, because if you aren't, I will. If you tell me who Frustrated Flying Filly is, perhaps the two of us can come to some kind of agreement? Cash? Information? A story for your readership?" Karie looked Rook in the eyes as she laid down her argument, using her diplomacy to hopefully win him over. 

"What makes you doubt them? What records are there of their deaths? From my understanding Heroica has a long tradition of heroes who somehow have lived past their expectancies for one reason or another. Not to mention there's that whole thing about members of the organization being virtually unkillable. Why are you looking to destroy the hope of this city? Unless of course you feel threatened by them... unless, you are an actual threat to the city... unless, you aren't from some harmless union... unless, you're trying to hide something or from someone... unless, you're," The orc's eyes gleam with a magical glistening as he stands, "Heroica."

7 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Wait a minute, does anyone have a copy of the latest issue of the Herald?"

Throlar notices a copy tacked to the wall.

38634223155_c1ec0315bf.jpg

55 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"What makes you doubt them? What records are there of their deaths? From my understanding Heroica has a long tradition of heroes who somehow have lived past their expectancies for one reason or another. Not to mention there's that whole thing about members of the organization being virtually unkillable. Why are you looking to destroy the hope of this city? Unless of course you feel threatened by them... unless, you are an actual threat to the city... unless, you aren't from some harmless union... unless, you're trying to hide something or from someone... unless, you're," The orc's eyes gleam with a magical glistening as he stands, "Heroica."

Karie frowns, her hands still on the table. Obfuscate. Dodge. Poke. She didn't like where this was going.

"That's a lot of unlesses, Rook. Even you must admit that it'd take quite a stretch to believe that.

Why do you trust the Founders? What have they shown you to make them trust you? Better yet, why do you trust the Watch? The Watch has been as corrupt as Heroica before the coup and has been complicit in the house's affairs longer than Heroica has, and now that they line up with the Founders you suddenly forget what they've done? The Fae One is missing, and yet you continue to dodge this point. Why? The Founders swoop in just as the Houses leave and shut Heroica down: doesn't that seem a little strange to you, Rook? Why would they remove all Heroicans, including ones that did not choose a side during the conflict with the houses? This whole thing reeks of something foul, and I have it on good conscious that there's more to the Founders than just them being immortal.

These aren't the Founders. They cannot be the Founders. The only reason Heroicans cannot die is because the Nornalis protecting them was set in place hundreds of years after the Founders died. The only one that I could imagine being alive, the Fae One, isn't in the picture in yesterday's paper. Why? Your article claims the original founders of Heroica return to bring hope to the city, but you forgot one important detail: not all the founders are there. If the Founders truly did return to bring hope to this city, why is the one most likely to be still alive not in this photo?" Karie slammed her hands on the desk for dramatic flair, looking Rook in the eyes. 

10 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Karie frowns, her hands still on the table. Obfuscate. Dodge. Poke. She didn't like where this was going.

"That's a lot of unlesses, Rook. Even you must admit that it'd take quite a stretch to believe that.

Why do you trust the Founders? What have they shown you to make them trust you? Better yet, why do you trust the Watch? The Watch has been as corrupt as Heroica before the coup and has been complicit in the house's affairs longer than Heroica has, and now that they line up with the Founders you suddenly forget what they've done? The Fae One is missing, and yet you continue to dodge this point. Why? The Founders swoop in just as the Houses leave and shut Heroica down: doesn't that seem a little strange to you, Rook? Why would they remove all Heroicans, including ones that did not choose a side during the conflict with the houses? This whole thing reeks of something foul, and I have it on good conscious that there's more to the Founders than just them being immortal.

These aren't the Founders. They cannot be the Founders. The only reason Heroicans cannot die is because the Nornalis protecting them was set in place hundreds of years after the Founders died. The only one that I could imagine being alive, the Fae One, isn't in the picture in yesterday's paper. Why? Your article claims the original founders of Heroica return to bring hope to the city, but you forgot one important detail: not all the founders are there. If the Founders truly did return to bring hope to this city, why is the one most likely to be still alive not in this photo?" Karie slammed her hands on the desk for dramatic flair, looking Rook in the eyes. 

"Easier to believe that I've got a bunch of heroes masquerading in my office, or that there's a giant conspiracy that involves the potentially immortal founders actually helping this city? If you've payed any attention of late, Captain Cousland and the Watch have been actually improving the safety of this city, crime has dropped, Wolfgang leaders caught and executed, the self proclaimed 'Wolf King' is currently cowering in his sewers. The Fey One is an ambassador to the Faerie Monarch, who am I to know what business she is currently on?"

Rook pauses and takes a drink from a nearby goblet.

"As for Heroica's exile from their precious hall, I've made it quite clear that even those who apparently didn't side with a house still made themselves complicit in this whole mess by preventing a lawful arrest and participating in the murder Town Watch and Paladin members. If you're looking to justify their actions, you've come to the wrong establishment. I've told you what I know about the Filly, do you prefer to test me any further?" Rook's eyes once again glow with sorcerous power.

I stare aghast at the others.

"My dear girl. Just because you idolize Heroica doesn't mean that everyone in this city does. You may have had positive experiences just as the kind mister has had, but others may not have and it seems that he desires to speak for those others. I do not know whether it's true or not that Heroica was engaged in corrupt practices with the houses, but if Mr Rook here, having had positive experiences with Heroica, still believes that they have, then he must have good evidence for such a claim."

I turn to Rook as if trying to garner his support in my argument against Karie.

15 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"... unless, you're trying to hide something or from someone... unless, you're," The orc's eyes gleam with a magical glistening as he stands, "Heroica."

"Well Heroica kind of doesn't exist anymore, at least not as it had as of a day or so ago."

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"As for Heroica's exile from their precious hall, I've made it quite clear that even those who apparently didn't side with a house still made themselves complicit in this whole mess by preventing a lawful arrest and participating in the murder Town Watch and Paladin members. If you're looking to justify their actions, you've come to the wrong establishment. I've told you what I know about the Filly, do you prefer to test me any further?" Rook's eyes once again glow with sorcerous power.

"Please, 'lawful' on what terms? The Heroes were cast out of Heroica and then attacked by the Town Watch as the former Heroes minded their own business in a run down part of town that the city refused to help."

2 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"My dear girl. Just because you idolize Heroica doesn't mean that everyone in this city does. You may have had positive experiences just as the kind mister has had, but others may not have and it seems that he desires to speak for those others. I do not know whether it's true or not that Heroica was engaged in corrupt practices with the houses, but if Mr Rook here, having had positive experiences with Heroica, still believes that they have, then he must have good evidence for such a claim."

Karie removes her hands from the table and looks to Pretzel. Her tone, her eyes, everything about her reads seriousness. She would not tolerate an act of insubordination, not now. This was not the usual playful Karie. She spoke loudly enough that Rook could hear.

"Do not mistake my clinging to an ideal, a hope if you will, for my adoration and idolization of Heroica. Heroica has become rotten to it's core. What happened at the tavern, nay, what happened at Heroica Hall should not have happened, that I can see and will admit. Heroicans participated in the house conflict, and I have reason to believe that several of them still vie for power. I'll admit, as we stand here I have a larger ambition in mind than simply usurp the Founders. I want to be a Veteran of Heroica Hall so I can tear that building down piece by piece, brick by brick and rebuild something meaningful in its place. Heroica is tainted with people who flaunt with demons, grasp and cloy at power, and watch greedily as money flows into their pockets. That must come to an end. Immediately. Heroica Hall was a cesspit for corruption: a breeding ground for the wealthy and elite to cultivate loyal subjects that will supple at the teat of wealth and power. Should I get the chance, that comes to an immediate end.

I do not idolize Heroica Hall, I idolize what Heroica Hall could be- what it has to be if this city is to survive. If this city wants to idly sit by as the so-called Founders come trooping in merrily, than perhaps its best to leave this city to rot in the corruption and greed that has consumed it." 

5 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Rook's eyes once again glow with sorcerous power.

Karie glares at Rook. It was clear she was not getting any help from him or the Herald. She'd find a way to rally the citizens, with or without the Heralds help. She held herself back from letting Rook have the brunt of her verbal assault, but it was obvious she was agitated. "Thank you for your time, Mr. Rook. I look forward to your apology in the near future." Karie turned to the door. "Anyone who wants to stay here can do so at their own risk."

"Aha!"

Throlar had been closely examining the Herald for some time now, seemingly oblivious to everything around him.

"Right on the front page too," he muttered to himself, "Blonde. She's always depicted with black hair, but she's blonde here."

Throlar suddenly lifted his gaze, staring straight at Rook.

"With all due respect sir, the reason that the Wolfgang's leadership is so decreased is due directly to the efforts of Heroica, not the Town watch. As someone who prides themselves on being a seeker of the truth I'm surprised you didn't know that."

Throlar shrugged briefly, turned, and followed Karie away.

"I presume that we're going to this Winking Gargoyle place now? That seems like what we're supposed to do."

8 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"As I said Heroica helped this paper once and were paid accordingly, but that was many years ago. Since then they've gone downhill."

6 hours ago, KotZ said:

"Please, 'lawful' on what terms? The Heroes were cast out of Heroica and then attacked by the Town Watch as the former Heroes minded their own business in a run down part of town that the city refused to help."

"Lawful in that they had a warrant, if those "heroes" were minding their own business they should have stood aside."

5 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Karie glares at Rook. It was clear she was not getting any help from him or the Herald. She'd find a way to rally the citizens, with or without the Heralds help. She held herself back from letting Rook have the brunt of her verbal assault, but it was obvious she was agitated. "Thank you for your time, Mr. Rook. I look forward to your apology in the near future."

"I hope for this city's sake that will not be necessary."

56 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Aha!"

Throlar had been closely examining the Herald for some time now, seemingly oblivious to everything around him.

"Right on the front page too," he muttered to himself, "Blonde. She's always depicted with black hair, but she's blonde here."

Throlar suddenly lifted his gaze, staring straight at Rook.

"With all due respect sir, the reason that the Wolfgang's leadership is so decreased is due directly to the efforts of Heroica, not the Town watch. As someone who prides themselves on being a seeker of the truth I'm surprised you didn't know that."

Throlar notes that Founders looked older than some of their depictions in the hall and that Lady Luck's hair was now white, not blonde.

"I'm afraid it is you who have your facts wrong, on nearly every occasions members of Heroica failed to stop the Wolfgang and now the truth is getting out that most of them on those missions ended up joining the Wolfgang."

1 hour ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"I hope for this city's sake that will not be necessary."

"On the contrary, Rook, I can't wait." Karie slyly sent Rook a grin as she opened the door to the Herald. She turns to the rest of the party. "We've got what we came for. Let's go."

2 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"I'm afraid it is you who have your facts wrong, on nearly every occasions members of Heroica failed to stop the Wolfgang and now the truth is getting out that most of them on those missions ended up joining the Wolfgang."

Throlar didn't respond, if the man chose to willfully ignore that the Heroes at the Founders ball had singlehandedly defeated all three of Ulric's major lieutenants then that was his affair.

I nod to Rook, as if in apology for the disturbance we caused him and then turn on my way.

"Karie, you thought I was challenging you? Of all things! I was challenging him to provide evidence, which he clearly didn't have. If you two hadn't gone all forceful on the "we're the good guys, the founders are the bad guys" talk, we may have actually been able to change his mind. I apologize if you felt that I was undermining your authority, that was not at all my intention, but when we're dealing with potentially troublesome people who nevertheless could be persuaded about the error of their ways, then it's always best to pretend that the mistake is on our part. Pretend that we must be ignorant about the 'horrible atrocities' committed by Heroica, because we only know heroes to have done good things. Then give him the opportunity to provide evidence to the contrary. If we cannot think coolly at this time, then I am afraid we won't last long."

Having attempted to remain unnoticed and within his glamour he breaks his silence.  Be calm my friends. It is time we take our leave.  We do ourselves no good here. Vindsval attempts to whisper to his companions.  The gracious proprietor here has told us what he was willing and more.  A brawl with him or among ourselves would do nothing to further our cause.  

Throlar, having removed his Amulet of Elven Loyalty, equipped his Gloves of the Hippocratic Oath.

"You know what I think? I think that Heroica's decline recently has nothing to do with any 'corruption' or internal conflicts between supporters of the different factions. From what I've seen those groups had absolutely no problems working together, either through professionalism or because personal friendships were more important than faction loyalty. Hell, I've worked with Althior Emorith without any issue even after he sided with the Wolfgang during the Babeleth quest. I think the real reason that Heroica isn't what it once was is due to most of it's members realizing that they had better things to do with their lives and leaving. Have you seen the Hall recently? It's practically deserted. I've been reading through the Heroica Archives in my spare time and there was a quest from before I joined, Quest Forty-Four I believe it was, the party for that quest consisted of seventeen heroes, the largest single party in the history of this organization and only a fraction of Heroica's strength at the time. The only other time that number of Heroes was at the same place at the same time was The Battle of the Bridge in Baltarok, and that was three parties at once! Wear-as the heroes at Lady Luck's locale today only numbered thirteen, and that's practically all that's left. The fact is recently the organization has been hemorrhaging members left and right. At this point the return of the Founders is basically the death knell of Heroica as it was, or just Heroica period."

Having said all that Throlar opened the copy of the Herald he had taken and opened it to page six to read the rest of what this mystery contributor had written.