Sign in to follow this  
Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #159: An Unexpected Return - Sewers

1 hour ago, Flare said:

benji_prophet.icon.jpg

"Halt intruders! Surrender or we will be forced to..." 

The hooded man looks at the group with a confused look. 

"Heroica?" 

"Hello Benji, are your teeth still as sharp as they were when we first met?"

benji_prophet.icon.jpg

"Aye, it is I, Benji Carvenhall. However, my bestial form is no longer a part of me. Since I left heroica, many a moon ago, I studied to be a prophet as I returned to my elvish roots. I felt the call to search out my faerie brethren about a year ago, when this madness began."

Carvenhall looks over the heroes with a discerning gaze. He closes his eyes and mumbles a few words under his breath. After a moment he nods and opens his eyes, turning to face his fellows

"Haverti, I believe that they mean us no harm. But really, heroes-no-longer-of-Heroica, why have you traveled hither

Karie lurched about, feeling ill from the trip to the Faerie. She stumbled forward but catches herself before falling to the ground. Looking around Karie expected bright lights and dazzling scenery, but the eerie quiet and looming shadows followed by the falling particles left her uneasy. This was not how the Faerie was described to her. Were they really in the land of the Fae?

Noticing the group approach them, Karie allows her peers to take control for the moment, if only to allow her to reorient herself. As she did, she noticed a familiar face in the crowd, one which took her a moment to recognize. Karie hadn't spoken to Benji in what was more than likely years, yet she remembered her conversation with him well, if only the fact that he'd met Kayla. She seemed to be surrounded by people who had met her sister, but could never find out who had actually interacted with her. Karie never really thought of asking people what her sister was like, but she felt like that could wait until later. 

"Benji, long time no see, I guess. I'm glad life's been treating you well." Karie takes off her Trickster's mask of the Elf and replaces it with her Encore Plectrum as she takes note of her surroundings.

46 minutes ago, Flare said:

"Haverti, I believe that they mean us no harm. But really, heroes-no-longer-of-Heroica, why have you traveled hither

Karie scowled. She had explained all this to Lind, and explaining it again merely reminded her how messed up the situation really was. "Benji, you might want to take a seat. I've got a lot to unpack to you.

The House of Eubric have been dissolved, and the city's now under control by the original Founders of Heroica, sans one member. We don't know why they've returned, how, or even if they're actually the Founders, but they've come into an alliance with the Watch and the Paladin Order, and they've banished us from Heroica Hall. As of this moment, Heroica is no longer functional. The Nornalis isn't working for us, and we don't know why. Cain is dead, and the rest of the Veterans are in hiding, with Kukulkan and Jacques hiding with Ulric under the city and Asa's in hiding in one of the city's inns. Hestia's out at sea with her husband, and Semimaris is missing. Two other groups of Heroicans have went out looking for information. We've got a few leads on what's going on, one of which lead us here to the Faerie. We received a message from Byblos through the use of a sending stone. Ulric and the Wolfgang found it in the tunnels near a temple beneath the city." Karie shows Benji the stone written in Metasimian, reading the inscription him based off of her memory of it.

"Blinding light now over-run
A dark seed planted below the sun
Where once was joy and never glum
The flower grows, take care They come

We figured the description of a blinding light now over run and where once was joy and never glum described the Faerie, so we came here... although this place is not at all what I assumed the Faerie would be like. 

I know this is a lot to unpack, Benji. A lot's happened since you've left, and very quickly as well."

Edited by Kintobor

57 minutes ago, Flare said:

benji_prophet.icon.jpg

"Aye, it is I, Benji Carvenhall. However, my bestial form is no longer a part of me. Since I left heroica, many a moon ago, I studied to be a prophet as I returned to my elvish roots. I felt the call to search out my faerie brethren about a year ago, when this madness began."

Carvenhall looks over the heroes with a discerning gaze. He closes his eyes and mumbles a few words under his breath. After a moment he nods and opens his eyes, turning to face his fellows

Throlar frowned.

"You do realize how stilted and artificial it sounds when you talk like that, don't you? Are you sure you don't want to speak normally?"

8 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

Throlar frowned.

"You do realize how stilted and artificial it sounds when you talk like that, don't you? Are you sure you don't want to speak normally?"

Karie tried hard not snicker at Throlar's comment. She leaned into his ear and whispered. "I forgot about why I enjoyed having you around, Throlar."

8 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

28048987598_b7cb9b1e07_t.jpg
"Benji, do you know these outsiders?"

"Oh...hi Guts!" :tongue:

1 hour ago, Flare said:

1 hour ago, Kintobor said:

"Benji, long time no see, I guess. I'm glad life's been treating you well." Karie takes off her Trickster's mask of the Elf and replaces it with her Encore Plectrum as she takes note of her surroundings.

Karie scowled. She had explained all this to Lind, and explaining it again merely reminded her how messed up the situation really was. "Benji, you might want to take a seat. I've got a lot to unpack to you.

*snip*

"...What she said."

57 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

Throlar frowned.

The Black Knight frowned, coughed, and politely nudged the Dwarf. "Careful. That could just be the way they talk around here.

I once lost two good friends because I'd never heard of a Charisian accent before...it's dangerous to assume things."

"Well, well, well, Benji! I never would have guessed that you were of the Fae, but surprises are constantly there for us..."

9 minutes ago, Palathadric said:

:rofl:

7 minutes ago, Palathadric said:

"Well, well, well, Benji! I never would have guessed that you were of the Fae, but surprises are constantly there for us..."

"Rather."

Lind waved away another gust of pollen. "So, did Grogsmas come early, or do you have a bit of a pollen problem?

We can relate, there's a terrible arbormancer strike in Eubric someone really needs to do something about. :head_back: "

9 hours ago, Flare said:

benji_prophet.icon.jpg

"Very well, I still don't like the look of them. Rinti, Bluedvi, sheathe your weapons. Let's make camp, it's been a long enough day already."

The fairies' weapons seem to vanish in a blinding light. Taking out supplies from their haversacks, the Rinti and Bluedvi begin to setup tents and a makeshift encampment.

8 hours ago, Kintobor said:

We figured the description of a blinding light now over run and where once was joy and never glum described the Faerie, so we came here... although this place is not at all what I assumed the Faerie would be like. 

28048987958_ffe231f8f7_t.jpg
"Sounds like you're a year late." Rinti begins to slice up a shining fruit resembling a cross between an apple and a raspberry.

7 hours ago, Palathadric said:

The fairy gives Lind a confused look.
"Excuse me? My name is Haverti."

7 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

Lind waved away another gust of pollen. "So, did Grogsmas come early, or do you have a bit of a pollen problem?

Bluedvi holds out a hand and catches a flake of dust on the back of his hand.
28048987748_93550b8660_t.jpg
"Spent Fairy Dust, it's what gave this place life once upon a time. With it's power removed, it coats the land in the ashes of our suffering."

9 hours ago, Kintobor said:

I know this is a lot to unpack, Benji. A lot's happened since you've left, and very quickly as well."

benji_prophet.icon.jpg

" I understand. All was foreseen, there was a reason I left and did not return. It would not have helped anything. Instead I stumbled yonder upon the Fae Realm, where we have been struggling for a year. "

9 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

Throlar frowned.

"I was going to mention your stilted height and artificial beard, but nae, it seems difficult to avoid the subject. No wonder they didn't want you as a hero." 

7 hours ago, Palathadric said:

Carvenhall beams at Pretzel, for once the frown disappearing from his face. 

"Ah precious monk! It is a blessing to see you with this group of traveling vigilantes. Alas I am not of Fae blood, but they are more than brothers to me in the spiritual. I am, as you must remember, half elf and half human. But this is not of importance. What is important is to see how we can work together...?"

8 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

I once lost two good friends because I'd never heard of a Charisian accent before...it's dangerous to assume things."

"You'll have to tell us that story when there's some time."

33 minutes ago, Flare said:

benji_prophet.icon.jpg

" I understand. All was foreseen, there was a reason I left and did not return. It would not have helped anything. Instead I stumbled yonder upon the Fae Realm, where we have been struggling for a year. "

"A year of Olegia time or a year of Fae Realm time? Unless I'm mistaken, does time not flow differently hear?"

17 minutes ago, KotZ said:

"A year of Olegia time or a year of Fae Realm time? Unless I'm mistaken, does time not flow differently hear?"

"It does indeed and fluctuates as well. A year here could easily encapsulate a month in your mortal realm and vise versa, depending on the flow of the dust."

1 hour ago, Waterbrick Down said:

The fairy gives Lind Pretzel a confused look.
"Excuse me? My name is Haverti."

OoC: Should I add "Throwing his voice" to Lind's ever-growing list of surprise abilities? :laugh:

Edited by Lind Whisperer
Formatting was messed up, see next post of mine after this one for what was removed.

"Spent Fairy Dust, it's what gave this place life once upon a time. With it's power removed, it coats the land in the ashes of our suffering."

6 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"It does indeed and fluctuates as well. A year here could easily encapsulate a month in your mortal realm and vise versa, depending on the flow of the dust."

Karie raises her hand, a confused look spread across her face. "I'm sorry, but you've lost me completely. Fairy Dust? What exactly is Fairy Dust, and why is it important?"

23 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

Karie raises her hand, a confused look spread across her face. "I'm sorry, but you've lost me completely. Fairy Dust? What exactly is Fairy Dust, and why is it important?"

"I can't remember the exact properties, but I believe fairies derive a great deal of their power from it? And from what these fine folks just told us, I believe it was a source of power for their land, once upon a era - and it seems to be tangled up - if not directly determining - in how quickly time passes, here in the Fae?"

The Black Knight shrugged. These were not matters he had ever studied in anything like detail.

"A great tragedy, to be sure..." Lind nodded sympathetically.

"Do you have any idea what's removing it's power?"

1 hour ago, Flare said:

benji_prophet.icon.jpg

"...It might have helped something if you'd have shared some of this "all that was forseen" with someone, instead of just letting it all come raining down without any warning..."

The Munchkin shrugged.

54 minutes ago, KotZ said:

"You'll have to tell us that story when there's some time."

"It was a sad one...but a great education in the living."

Edited by Lind Whisperer

1 hour ago, Flare said:

benji_prophet.icon.jpg

"I was going to mention your stilted height and artificial beard, but nae, it seems difficult to avoid the subject. No wonder they didn't want you as a hero." 

Throlar's frown turned into a glare of smoldering fury.

39 minutes ago, Lind Whisperer said:

"I can't remember the exact properties, but I believe fairies derive a great deal of their power from it? And from what these fine folks just told us, I believe it was a source of power for their land, once upon a era - and it seems to be tangled up - if not directly determining - in how quickly time passes, here in the Fae?"

"It's also a potent aphrodisiac."

"Throlar motioned towards the fairies. "If you people don't mind telling us, what exactly is it that happened a year ago to cause all of... this." he said, waving a hand in the air to indicate the falling ash-like powder.

1 hour ago, Kintobor said:

"The dust is the Faerie, it's ourselves, it's what brings life. It allows us to shape this realm to our wants, as well as our own bodies. As your companion mentioned, among the mortal races it is indeed a powerful aphrodisiac."

55 minutes ago, Lind Whisperer said:

The Black Knight shrugged. These were not matters he had ever studied in anything like detail.

"A great tragedy, to be sure..." Lind nodded sympathetically.

"Do you have any idea what's removing it's power?"

"The Dark Druids, we don't know how, but they've established some sort of refinery where they can extract the dust from the land and from... ourselves."

9 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Throlar motioned towards the fairies. "If you people don't mind telling us, what exactly is it that happened a year ago to cause all of... this." he said, waving a hand in the air to indicate the falling ash-like powder.

"Allow me to show you." With a flick of his wrist, Haverti creates glowing miniature figures of fairies and the world they live in out of the dust in the air. As the fairy narrates the models follow his story.

"For years, the Faerie realm has been under siege by the archdemon known as Rosier. She feeds upon the dust and it strengthens her power and influence over her legions of Dark Druids. A year ago the demon's forces broke through in an unprecedented number led by Rosier herself. We could not stand against their might and the tower of the Seelie Court fell. In its place a fortress of rot and decay now stands, our people were scattered, most of our leaders dead, the rest of us were hunted. What remains of the Fae folk are either in hiding, have escaped to other realms, or like our group, fights back in guerrilla forces."

10 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"The dust is the Faerie, it's ourselves, it's what brings life. It allows us to shape this realm to our wants, as well as our own bodies. As your companion mentioned, among the mortal races it is indeed a powerful aphrodisiac."

Karie loosened her collar, feeling anxious. "Oh. Yeah. I suppose that makes sense. That stuff's pretty powerful." Karie felt a little twitchy around the powder, trying hard not to inhale it.

"I think Byblos wants us to be here. A dark seed planted below the sun. The flower grows, take care They come. If Rosier is behind this, then the lines in the poem about flowers growing and a dark seed planted would correlate with that." Karie took a moment to rest on a rock. She took out her make up kit and began reapplying her make up, smearing white paint across her face.

Vindsval steps forward to look down on his old friend could he possibly say Mentor?

Master Carverhall, This is a reunion a long time in coming.  A strange Path that brings us together once more in this of all lands.  It is good to see you again old friend.

55 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"The Dark Druids, we don't know how, but they've established some sort of refinery where they can extract the dust from the land and from... ourselves."

"Ah, that's... unpleasant. Dark Druids did you say? There wasn't a man named Savato amongst them by any chance was there?"

57 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Allow me to show you." With a flick of his wrist, Haverti creates glowing miniature figures of fairies and the world they live in out of the dust in the air. As the fairy narrates the models follow his story.

"For years, the Faerie realm has been under siege by the archdemon known as Rosier. She feeds upon the dust and it strengthens her power and influence over her legions of Dark Druids. A year ago the demon's forces broke through in an unprecedented number led by Rosier herself. We could not stand against their might and the tower of the Seelie Court fell. In its place a fortress of rot and decay now stands, our people were scattered, most of our leaders dead, the rest of us were hunted. What remains of the Fae folk are either in hiding, have escaped to other realms, or like our group, fights back in guerrilla forces."

"Ah, an archdemon. Not good."

41 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

Karie loosened her collar, feeling anxious. "Oh. Yeah. I suppose that makes sense. That stuff's pretty powerful." Karie felt a little twitchy around the powder, trying hard not to inhale it.

"Karie, I wouldn't worry about that, we've been breathing normally for a while now and none of us are effected as of yet. I think what's happening has rendered it inert. At least I hope?" he said glancing nervously at the fey before them as if looking for conformation of his statement. "By the way," he said to Karie, "this reminds me, some time ago you told me you were pregnant, how did that work out? All well I hope? I noticed to speaking to Lind about your husband and family earlier and I'm interested in hearing more about them."

46 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Ah, that's... unpleasant. Dark Druids did you say? There wasn't a man named Savato amongst them by any chance was there?"

"Not that I'm aware, most of the druids are folks They corrupted and ensnared within the Lost Forest."

48 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

Karie, I wouldn't worry about that, we've been breathing normally for a while now and none of us are effected as of yet. I think what's happening has rendered it inert. At least I hope?" he said glancing nervously at the fey before them as if looking for conformation of his statement."

"The concentration is definitely lower than usual, what magic we have left is reduced to simple combat spells and visual tricks like the one Haverti just created."

34 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Not that I'm aware, most of the druids are folks They corrupted and ensnared within the Lost Forest."

"Okay, just a thought."

35 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"The concentration is definitely lower than usual, what magic we have left is reduced to simple combat spells and visual tricks like the one Haverti just created."

"See? Everything's fine. For us I mean, you lot have definitely been very badly effected by this change. One thing though, our companion here, Lind, has reported that the sewers of Eubric are being overrun with strange white roots. You don't think that has anything to do with what's going on here do you?"

41 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

"See? Everything's fine. For us I mean, you lot have definitely been very badly effected by this change. One thing though, our companion here, Lind, has reported that the sewers of Eubric are being overrun with strange white roots. You don't think that has anything to do with what's going on here do you?"

"Possibly, we've seen similar structures around the fortress. We're heading there tomorrow, you can accompany us and get a closer look."

"May I ask just how potent the power of the Fairy Dust is...Is there any chance it could restore the dead to life?

"An archdemon out on the loose, eh? I have a feeling that destroying this 'Rosier' and their fortress/factory/whatever it is will go along way in ridding us of the problem in Eubric. It would seem as if we have been sent for a reason, don't you think?"