AlexSkywalker

I need hints to buy retired Lego sets

Hello guys, i should create this topic on the buying, selling & trading forums but i'am a new member and my liberty in this forum is so limited.

The next month i will buy The Lego Movie 70816 Benny's Spaceship ¡¡SPACESHIP SPACESHIP!! set on eBay but i got too much concern about it is the real set or it's a scam.

Leave you hints & suggestions replying on this topic.

That's all pals, hasta luego.

if it is advertised as lego, ebay will let you return it for your money back if it is not genuine

but sellers on bricklink seem to be much better at selling only genuine parts because of the buyer feedback when things go wrong

Brinklink is usually less expensive than e-bay, even if international shipping is accounted for.  Depending where you are located, delivery to a US address (in Laredo, TX for example) may be an option - my Monterey, MX-based in-laws do this frequently.

I second (or is it third?) the suggestion of trying BrickLink.

If you can't find the set at an acceptable price from a single BrickLink seller, you may find you can get it for less by buying the set's parts from various BrickLink sellers. The operative word though is 'may': when you factor in delivery, it could come to more.

In 2014, I recreated a 1981 Classic Space set using parts I already had plus ones I sourced mainly on BrickLink from different sellers and it came to quite a bit less than if I had bought the set in its entirety in similar condition from just one seller. Of course, it took more time and effort, but I didn't mind that.       

I prefer ebay myself, I find searching for sets on BL fiddly. It's not that I don't know how to use BL--I do and have--but it's not my favorite way to buy.

A note on eBay, though is to be patient. Don't rush to buy the first thing you see, find a handful of items to keep an eye on and see what happens. I have bought MSRP sets, both current and retired, sometimes for up to 60% off. Most of what I buy is used, though, which goes even cheaper. But you have to wait for that deal to come along.

As always, YMMV.

Edited by rodiziorobs

Is there a "fake" version of that set?  I haven't seen it before if it is out there.  Ebay and Paypal really stand behind the consumer so there is no risk of being scammed without recourse by whatever means.  That being said, Bricklink is a fantastic resource.