Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #159: An Unexpected Return

The Party tiptoes into the house as silently as they are able, though the Dragoon in full armor has to take extra care. In one room a half demolished fireplace still burns with three figures seated around it on stools and broken furniture deep in conversation.

39209738684_688c2e3d3a_t.jpg
"...But if she is alive, wouldn't she want to see us?"

26047216268_211db21c58_t.jpg
"Bollucks, zis is simply a desperate rumor of ze Hinckwell's in hopes of restoring zere place in ze city."

25048750477_1c3ee15df8_t.jpg
"Framing a man for murder? The Hinkwell's and us may have never seen eye to eye, but I can't believe Lyren or any of his family would ever..."

"Wait... what was zat?" Umbra draws her sword and points it into the darkness. "Who goes zere?"

Dyric looks over to Atramor. Silently, he lifted his hands from his weapon. He pointed a thumb to himself, and then waved his hand in the direction of the Shadoeux. Dyric had some strings he could pull, perhaps he could talk them out of any potential bloodshed. 

8 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Wait... what was zat?" Umbra draws her sword and points it into the darkness. "Who goes zere?"

Hoke steps out of the shadows, with his hands held wide, making sure his Crescent Union seal is visible.

"Tis I and some fellow Heroicans Lady Umbra."

Rone grimaces as Hoke steps ahead. Trying to salvage his plan, he runs up quickly behind the Dragoon.

Dyric Rone, Hero of Heroica and friend to the Shadeaux. 

Slowly, he lowers his crossbow to the ground before, and hold his hands high.

You would recognize me, I was a member of the Crescent Union. I spared your father's life once, though I imagine he might see the matter differently. 

The point is, right now we're all on the same side. Eubric has been flipped upside down. The Shadeaux have been framed, and Heroica has been flushed out. We're all just looking for answers; better to do so together than alone. No blood needs to be shed tonight. Are you with us?

6 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

Hoke steps out of the shadows, with his hands held wide, making sure his Crescent Union seal is visible.

"Tis I and some fellow Heroicans Lady Umbra."

"Master Ablesword, can't say zat we were you expecting you. What business do you have in zis house? If you're here to evict us, know that zis house was willed to my fazer in ze event of Master Tiamateus deaz."

4 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Rone grimaces as Hoke steps ahead. Trying to salvage his plan, he runs up quickly behind the Dragoon.

Dyric Rone, Hero of Heroica and friend to the Shadeaux. 

Slowly, he lowers his crossbow to the ground before, and hold his hands high.

You would recognize me, I was a member of the Crescent Union. I spared your father's life once, though I imagine he might see the matter differently. 

The point is, right now we're all on the same side. Eubric has been flipped upside down. The Shadeaux have been framed, and Heroica has been flushed out. We're all just looking for answers; better to do so together than alone. No blood needs to be shed tonight. Are you with us?

"Heroica's always looked after this city and our family. I'd hoped one day I might join you myself. Of course I'm with you." The young man removes and cleans his glasses. "You've heard the rumors about mother, right heroes?"

24 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Master Ablesword, can't say zat we were you expecting you. What business do you have in zis house? If you're here to evict us, know that zis house was willed to my fazer in ze event of Master Tiamateus deaz."

"Heroica's always looked after this city and our family. I'd hoped one day I might join you myself. Of course I'm with you." The young man removes and cleans his glasses. "You've heard the rumors about mother, right heroes?"

"Aye, we have. But frankly, mates, nothin' these days is as it seems."

Atramor turned to Umbra and awkwardly pulled the brim of his hat down a bit more to avoid looking the woman in the eye.

"We came lookin' for the tomb of the Golden Dragon. If we don't find a body, then I guess we know that someone's gone and actually reanimated her. If we do find a body.....then, well, that's gonna a hell of a pain to deal with."

Matthias struggles internally to decide whether he should speak, and decides he has nothing to offer the conversation, especially since he doesn't know any of the three figures in the firelight. Instead, he surreptitiously eyes the entire room, looking for the locations of doors, windows, stairways, passages, and other entrances and exits.

8 hours ago, CMP said:

"Aye, we have. But frankly, mates, nothin' these days is as it seems."

Atramor turned to Umbra and awkwardly pulled the brim of his hat down a bit more to avoid looking the woman in the eye.

"We came lookin' for the tomb of the Golden Dragon. If we don't find a body, then I guess we know that someone's gone and actually reanimated her. If we do find a body.....then, well, that's gonna a hell of a pain to deal with."

"The tomb of the Golden Dragon? You think she's a fake?"

7 hours ago, StickFig said:

Matthias struggles internally to decide whether he should speak, and decides he has nothing to offer the conversation, especially since he doesn't know any of the three figures in the firelight. Instead, he surreptitiously eyes the entire room, looking for the locations of doors, windows, stairways, passages, and other entrances and exits.

Matthias notes two doors off of the sitting room, one which seems to lead to a kitchen and another the cellars.

13 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"You think she's three hundred years old?"

36 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

22 minutes ago, CMP said:

"You think she's three hundred years old?"

In any case, the sudden appearance of the Veterans is suspicious, at best. If they are the real deal, we will have an honest problem on our hands. However, if we can prove that they are in some way duplicitous, we should be able to rout them out of the city fairly quickly, and restore the order.

18 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"No, we've not come to evict you.  Like my companions have stated, we are simply looking for answers as to what is going on.  What can you tell us about what happened here?"

9 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"At this point, I'm not sure we know what to think"

9 hours ago, The Legonater said:

In any case, the sudden appearance of the Veterans is suspicious, at best. If they are the real deal, we will have an honest problem on our hands. However, if we can prove that they are in some way duplicitous, we should be able to rout them out of the city fairly quickly, and restore the order.

"Yes, complicated by the existence of this new 'council' and Fort 'Freedom'."

Matthias, on edge but still not wanting to be drawn into the conversation without some idea of who the participants are, peeks out into the street to see if there is anyone watching the house. including a quick glance up to the sky, then makes his way around the room, peeking into the kitchen and down the stairs to the cellar, afraid he will find listening ears or watching eyes but on the lookout for a bite or a drink as well.

48 minutes ago, UsernameMDM said:

"No, we've not come to evict you.  Like my companions have stated, we are simply looking for answers as to what is going on.  What can you tell us about what happened here?"

"Did you not read ze paper? Ze house was destroyed when ze Golden Dragon and her mount came to apprehend ze Dragonlord for attempting to stop ze arrest of my fazzer. Ze entire city was witness to ze fight between Smaragdeau and Goudlumière, were you under a rock? And where is zis tomb you seek?"

36 minutes ago, StickFig said:

Matthias, on edge but still not wanting to be drawn into the conversation without some idea of who the participants are, peeks out into the street to see if there is anyone watching the house. including a quick glance up to the sky, then makes his way around the room, peeking into the kitchen and down the stairs to the cellar, afraid he will find listening ears or watching eyes but on the lookout for a bite or a drink as well.

Outside, the spiked form of Torc watches over the house. In the kitchen, Matthias finds a Big Apple, but otherwise no prying eyes.

8685744711_73d80f4478_t.jpg Big Apple - Raises Power Bonus by 1 permanently.

The cellar is unlit, but there are no sounds of movement and Matthias discerns the cellar is probably empty.

16 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Did you not read ze paper? Ze house was destroyed when ze Golden Dragon and her mount came to apprehend ze Dragonlord for attempting to stop ze arrest of my fazzer. Ze entire city was witness to ze fight between Smaragdeau and Goudlumière, were you under a rock? And where is zis tomb you seek?"

"I only read about it in the paper, but I had hoped you had more information.  Do you know anything about the hatchery?  Did the Golden Dragon claim the clutch of eggs?"

Just now, Waterbrick Down said:

"I'm unsure, my fazzer would know, but he's currently locked up in Fort Bonaparte."

"You mean 'Fort Freedom'," Hoke asks sarcastically,"Do you have any plans to free your father?  Would you like to join us in finding out what's really going on?

2 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

"You mean 'Fort Freedom'," Hoke asks sarcastically,"Do you have any plans to free your father?  Would you like to join us in finding out what's really going on?

Umbra pauses, undecided, glancing at her brother and sister.
"As much as wish to join you, I am not sure I can risk ze safety of my siblings nor what remains of my family's honor, not to mention what remains of this house."

"Come on sis! Heroica's willing to lend us a hand and we're just going to spit in it? I can look after the house or even go myself!"

"Umbra, you and our father came to this city as outcasts. Would father really want us leaving as such?"

"Very well, two of us will stay to watch the house and wait for news of fazzer. Heroes, would you prefer my experience as a Marauder, Bellanotte's minstrel training, or Nuitan's clerical talents?" 

5 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Very well, two of us will stay to watch the house and wait for news of fazzer. Heroes, would you prefer my experience as a Marauder, Bellanotte's minstrel training, or Nuitan's clerical talents?" 

Can we see stats?

Hoke looks around at the group, pondering who to choose.  He, a dragoon with his dragon, a thief, a prophet, as assassin, and a druid.  Mayhaps the minstrel to augment the party's strengths?

2 minutes ago, UsernameMDM said:

Can we see stats?

Hoke looks around at the group, pondering who to choose.  He, a dragoon with his dragon, a thief, a prophet, as assassin, and a druid.  Mayhaps the minstrel to augment the party's strengths?

Hoke discerns that Umbra is definitely the most experienced of the group, but that Nuitan is more enthusiastic, while Bellanotte seems accomplished yet frail.

Matthias looks from Hoke to Umbra to Althior and then down, almost as if he's considering himself. Noting that Nuitan seems ready to go, he shakes his head in sympathetic disappointment at his own words, addressing the other Heroes but fully aware that the others will hear him. "Gentlemen, there are two accomplished healers among our small party already, and we should consider not only who to take but who to leave behind. A marauder and a cleric together have the best chance of standing, or at least surviving, and the Lady Minstrel's skills are more likely to be put to use working with us than quietly staking this place out."

Edited by StickFig
clarification

Rone gives a nod to the gnome, watching him step out of the shadows.

You make a good point, Matthias. As accepting as I would be of Nuitian's help, this is going to be pretty dangerous work and he should stay where it's safe- or at least, safer

Rone a firm clap on his shoulder, and anticipating the young Shadeaux's disappointment. Next time, kid. When Heroica is up and running, and I mean properly running, I expect you'll be one of the first through the Hall doors. Until then, keep the fort locked down here.

Bellanotte, are you ready for this kind of operation?

Edited by The Legonater

1 hour ago, The Legonater said:

Rone gives a nod to the gnome, watching him step out of the shadows.

You make a good point, Matthias. As accepting as I would be of Nuitian's help, this is going to be pretty dangerous work and he should stay where it's safe- or at least, safer

Rone a firm clap on his shoulder, and anticipating the young Shadeaux's disappointment. Next time, kid. When Heroica is up and running, and I mean properly running, I expect you'll be one of the first through the Hall doors. Until then, keep the fort locked down here.

Bellanotte, are you ready for this kind of operation?

"Kid? Bellanotte's only two minutes older than me!"

Althior leans against the wall, standing silently. He had no prior business with the Shadeaux, and thus felt it was not his place to intrude on their family matters. However, when asked for input, he speaks. “We have no need for a healer, so my vote leans towards the minstrel,”

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Kid? Bellanotte's only two minutes older than me!"

Dyric blinks. Wh- Uh- He coughs into his hand, straightening his posture. 

I-uh, I'm trying to compliment you, son. Give it a rest.

14 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Dyric blinks. Wh- Uh- He coughs into his hand, straightening his posture. 

I-uh, I'm trying to compliment you, son. Give it a rest.

Hoke didn't try hard to stifle a chuckle.

"What do you think?" he asks, looking at the thief. @CMP