Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #159: An Unexpected Return

14 minutes ago, CMP said:

Atramor chuckled at Dyric's teasing of Matthias and raised an eyebrow.

"Well then, don't keep us in suspense, mate."

A few years ago, in my last quest, actually - wow - we ran into an Acerpusculum in Duplovia. I didn't realize it then, so I don't know if you do, but they have a sort of... collective sub-conscious, I guess. 

She said to pass along a message. From Triad. 

They don't blame you, Atramor. What happened, happened, and at the end of the day the war was won. She, you, everything that happened was all part of that. 

1 hour ago, The Legonater said:

A few years ago, in my last quest, actually - wow - we ran into an Acerpusculum in Duplovia. I didn't realize it then, so I don't know if you do, but they have a sort of... collective sub-conscious, I guess. 

They don't blame you, Atramor. What happened, happened, and at the end of the day the war was won. She, you, everything that happened was all part of that. 

Atramor stared at Dyric for a few long seconds in silence, unblinking as the color faded from his face slightly.

"...Oh."

Then, at long last, he closed his eyes for a brief moment, regaining his composure. He nodded at his fellow rogue, with an appreciative smile.

"Thanks, mate. That's...hadn't thought 'bout that in a long time." Atramor looks down at the vial of Crimson Haze Hoke handed him. Slowly, he applies it to his Living Mythril Claws, which soak in the compound as though the weapon were overcome by a thirst.

"Truth be told, I did stop blamin' myself. For all of it. We all have seen people die for a cause they believed in, from the Golden Dragon down to every new recruit still with us now. To shoulder those deaths as your own burden...turns out it's a kind of selfishness in its own right. Deaths like the ones that heroes die, like Triad? They belong to a cause." He marveled at the venomous nature of the claws now, before retracting them into their gauntlets.

"Those Acerpusculum got it right. We ain't got any time left to shed tears. Here on out, anyone that dies for this cause? We don't let that weight slow us down. We make it a weapon, and we make it worth it."

Renewed, he turned to the Ziegfrieds.

"We 'ppreciate your support, Lady Ziegfried. Rest assured, we'll restore Heroica and get Eubric back in order as soon as possible." His eyes slid to Bellanotte. "And that goes for everyone. Nobody is gettin' left behind here. Once we figure out what these imposters are, we'll be in much better shape to hit Fort Freedom. We'll get your family back. We're gettin' all of 'em back."

Atramor cracked open and sipped one of his Meads. "For now, our next stop is the Guild of Invision. If anyone wants to take a moment and get ready, now's the time."

8 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

"We, just ourselves here, cannot take the Watch alone.  I want to see the Shadeaux freed, please believe me, but we need answers to this puzzle to acquire more allies.  We will storm Fort Freedom, when the time comes.  Unfortunately, that time is not right now."

Bellanotte looks at Hoke with mixed emotions of sadness and hope.
39209738684_688c2e3d3a_t.jpg
"..."

4 hours ago, StickFig said:

Narrow druidic eyes cast a withering glare at Rone - or at least Matthias hopes it's a killer glare. The blush creeps back up his face until he's crimson through and through before he faces back to the Ziegfried ladies.

26214449057_f7b14609f4_t.jpg
"Don't worry Matthias, your modesty is one of your more amiable features."

1 hour ago, CMP said:

"We 'ppreciate your support, Lady Ziegfried. Rest assured, we'll restore Heroica and get Eubric back in order as soon as possible." His eyes slid to Bellanotte. "And that goes for everyone. Nobody is gettin' left behind here. Once we figure out what these imposters are, we'll be in much better shape to hit Fort Freedom. We'll get your family back. We're gettin' all of 'em back."

27213149958_8cb2b61ffc_t.jpg
"Thank you. Be careful, there are many dangers in this city and now that the Watch numbers among them, you're task will be doubly difficult. Stay safe."

26214449057_f7b14609f4_t.jpg
"Matthias, if you're free, you me... two weeks at the upcoming ice-cream social?"

On 4/26/2018 at 9:40 PM, CMP said:

"Arthur, I can't help but feel like the old grudges are dead. The Guild's in disarray, like every damn House. Eubric's fallin' apart at the seams and I doubt the Guild's gonna give a damn if we have a Ziegfried with us. Plus, let's be honest here, you don't exactly got a family resemblance." Atramor nodded at Chesterine's hat with a bit of a grin. "If you don't wanna fight by our side, that's fine, but...hell, mate, do ya' really think this is just gonna blow over if ya'll sit at home? It's your call, mate, but-" the rogue crossed his arms and glanced briefly at Dyric. "-given what we're settin' out to do, keep in mind, there's a damn good chance we're not all makin' it out in one piece."

Atramor turned to head for the door to return to the Ziegfried Manor, before turning back once more to look between the Golden Dragon and Arthur.

".....'Sides. Lady Dragon's got a point. Heroica's a family too, mate. Ya' can leave it. Ya' can even forget about it. But it ain't leavin' you. If you're gonna stand with us, it's now or never. And never's gettin' closer every minute, mate."

On 4/27/2018 at 12:25 AM, The Legonater said:

Fair. You know, if we can't find anything on that vial, I'll take it off your hands. Killing a Founder, however fake, is quite the accomplishment - it would go nicely next to Vonnetate's skull. 

Suddenly, Dyric straightens, as he remembers the message he had been given. 

Rone returns the glance, and faces Arthur. 

Do what you need to, brother. But this is the end of the line. We're putting all cards on the table here. If you want to protect your family, you can do it by fighting with us.

Arthur considers the Heroes' words, all the way back to the Manor, brooding in silence as had become his norm.

11 hours ago, The Legonater said:

9 hours ago, CMP said:

Atramor stared at Dyric for a few long seconds in silence, unblinking as the color faded from his face slightly.

"...Oh."

Then, at long last, he closed his eyes for a brief moment, regaining his composure. He nodded at his fellow rogue, with an appreciative smile.

"Thanks, mate. That's...hadn't thought 'bout that in a long time." Atramor looks down at the vial of Crimson Haze Hoke handed him. Slowly, he applies it to his Living Mythril Claws, which soak in the compound as though the weapon were overcome by a thirst.

"Truth be told, I did stop blamin' myself. For all of it. We all have seen people die for a cause they believed in, from the Golden Dragon down to every new recruit still with us now. To shoulder those deaths as your own burden...turns out it's a kind of selfishness in its own right. Deaths like the ones that heroes die, like Triad? They belong to a cause." He marveled at the venomous nature of the claws now, before retracting them into their gauntlets.

"Those Acerpusculum got it right. We ain't got any time left to shed tears. Here on out, anyone that dies for this cause? We don't let that weight slow us down. We make it a weapon, and we make it worth it."

Atramor cracked open and sipped one of his Meads. "For now, our next stop is the Guild of Invision. If anyone wants to take a moment and get ready, now's the time."

Arthur's head shoots up at the mention of Triad, though he soon turns his face away in guilt.  As Atramor complete his speech, he nods.  "Well said."

He pauses.

"I'm afraid this is where I must leave you, my friends.  I won't deny, a part of me wishes to carry onward, to dive right back into my old life of adventure and heroism.  But...I am afraid, Heroes.  You saw what happened to the Shadeaux.  Every second I spend outside the Manor walls would be time spent in fear for my family's safety, worried I would come back to an empty home, my mother, my brother, my cousins abducted by the Watch and locked away in some damp prison cell atop the sea.  I...I cannot bear that kind of constant concern.  I have to stay here, where I can be certain my family is safe."

After another pause of consideration, Arthur unhooks his cloak from his shoulders.  "Here," he says, lending his Shadeaux Cape to Dyric.  "Hang on to this, would you?  Just...make sure you stay alive to return it, okay?"  He next turns his attention to Bellanotte.  "Bellanotte.  I will do what I can to be there when the time comes to storm Fort Bonaparte.  But just in case you or the Heroes can't get word to me in time, I want you to hang on to these for now."  Arthur first lends Bellanotte his Trickster's Mask of the Elf.  "This should help you move around the city more easily without being recognized.  And these," he adds, lending her his Anniversary Medal and Fur Leggings, "will hopefully keep you safer when the time comes for battle."  Finally, and with great solemnity, Arthur lends her Sven's Dagger and his Staff of the Cultist Battlemage.  "These are for your sister and your brother.  They're not much, but hopefully they can make good use of them in the breakout."  Unhitching his Mail of the Renegade Commander as well he hangs it over his Coat Hangar and lends them to Matthias.  "Same conditions as Dyric, all right?  We've got a whole eternity to hang out together, don't cut it short."  Arthur gives his Hurricane and Ella's Pie to Althior, and his Arc Mead and Elixir to Hoke.  "I know it's not much, but hopefully it'll help out.  At the very least," he quips with a nod to the Hurricane, "that should be a reminder of lighter times."  Finally, he looks to Atramor, a familiar white cowl in hand.  "You remember this, don't you?  From Xu?  I know hiding's not your style, but hopefully this will at least get you to where you're going unnoticed."  Arthur lends Atramor his White Ninja Cowl.

"Best of luck to all of you.  And hey--when the time comes, and it's time to take on the rest of the false Founders, try to get word back to the Manor.  I'll be here, preparing as many of us as I convince to join you in the fight."  Arthur smiles, then starts, suddenly remembering something.  "Oh, that reminds me."  He reaches into a pocket and withdraws a sealed envelope, which he entrusts to Dyric.  "I almost forgot--I was going to give this to you before.  It's for Karie.  All of us Ziegfrieds are entitled to a scholarship to the Academy of Enlightenment for one of our children.  Since that's...not an option for me, I'm passing my scholarship on to Rachelle.  If you run into Karie amidst all this, make sure that gets to her, okay?  And remind her she's welcome at the Manor any time."

"Good luck, Heroes.  Stay safe--this should only be goodbye for now.  With luck, we'll see each other again soon."  With a final wave, the Skirmisher steps back into the Manor, standing beside the rest of his family.

OOC: It's been great hanging out, but just as before I can't really commit to Heroica long-term--as my (lack of) availability over the past few days has illustrated.  As Arthur said, I'll try to make myself available again for the final phase, but for now I really think it's best to go back to lurking for a while.  I'll be rooting for you in the meantime, though!  Best of Luck!  :classic:

15 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Bellanotte looks at Hoke with mixed emotions of sadness and hope.
39209738684_688c2e3d3a_t.jpg
"..."

"Don't lose heart madame.  We picked you to come along with us because we believe in your skills and abilities.  We will need those again soon.  Believe in us too."

15 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Matthias, if you're free, you me... two weeks at the upcoming ice-cream social?"

"Uh, I. Uh, sure. ! ." is the best Matthias can do... it's apparent that if he gets any redder his hat will catch fire.

7 hours ago, Flipz said:

Unhitching his Mail of the Renegade Commander as well he hangs it over his Coat Hangar and lends them to Matthias.  "Same conditions as Dyric, all right?  We've got a whole eternity to hang out together, don't cut it short."

Grateful almost as much for the distraction as for the gifts loan, Matthias hurriedly tries to figure out how to put them on. He hooks the hangar around his neck awkwardly, mail shirt draped over it, turns about, gets the mail tangled underfoot and almost chokes himself with the hangar. Still blushing terrifically, he finally manages to get the hangar settled in place and loop the much-too-large mail up in some semblance of order so that it affords him extra protection. "Thanks, Master Arthur; I will return it soon."

Turning to the others, he nods at Gibbin. "To the Guild."

13 hours ago, Flipz said:

his Arc Mead and Elixir to Hoke. 

Hoke shakes Arthur's hand and puts the gifts in his pack.

He turns to mount Torc and looks down to the mage after finding his spot.

"If I run into your little one, I will let her know."

Rone mutely listens to his old friend's farewell. At its end he pauses, and gives a solemn nod.

We all do what we must, I suppose. I'll miss having you out on the field with us. I won't deny that. Keep your family safe, Arthur, and when the moment comes - be ready. 

Until next time. 

The party bids goodbye to the Ziegfrieds wondering if they would ever see them again. Torc quickly ushers the group to the Guild Hall the dragon landing squarely in front of the building. Picket signs and trash are littered in front of the establishment and a lone figure tidies up outside and is surprised by the arrival of the party not to mention the dragon.

26972338017_ba6547ff77_z.jpg

40942014745_9a7dab1536_t.jpg
"What is ze meaning of zis?!?"

Atramor dismounted Torc, sliding down the dragon's thick, scaly leg and turning to face the bearded, aged alchemist. After a moment, a spark of recognition crosses the rogue's face, and he can't help but grin a bit as he sweeps his hat off.

"Doctor Mynatt - damn it's been a long time. Atramor Gibbin; dunno if you recall, but you recruited me and a few of my old friends for a job of yours that musta been...seven years ago now. We found your assistant, Julian? Hell, that was one of my very first quests.....Well, in any case, we're part of what's left of Heroica. Not sure what you've heard about us, but none of it's true, I can tell ya' that much. We need the Guild's assistance in-...uh..." He lifted his foot up slightly on hearing a crack; Atramor frowns at the picket sign he's stepped on. "...identifyin' a mysterious substance we've come across. It's pretty damn vital to our investigation, actually. Say, er, what exactly's been goin' on 'round here?"

Hoke stays mounted on Torc, unconsciously rubbing the side of her neck, keeping a watchful eye on their surroundings and the sky as the Rogue speaks with the Alchemist.

22 hours ago, CMP said:

Atramor dismounted Torc, sliding down the dragon's thick, scaly leg and turning to face the bearded, aged alchemist. After a moment, a spark of recognition crosses the rogue's face, and he can't help but grin a bit as he sweeps his hat off.

"Doctor Mynatt - damn it's been a long time. Atramor Gibbin; dunno if you recall, but you recruited me and a few of my old friends for a job of yours that musta been...seven years ago now. We found your assistant, Julian? Hell, that was one of my very first quests.....Well, in any case, we're part of what's left of Heroica. Not sure what you've heard about us, but none of it's true, I can tell ya' that much. We need the Guild's assistance in-...uh..." He lifted his foot up slightly on hearing a crack; Atramor frowns at the picket sign he's stepped on. "...identifyin' a mysterious substance we've come across. It's pretty damn vital to our investigation, actually. Say, er, what exactly's been goin' on 'round here?"

"Mr. Gibbin?!? It has been an age indeed. Oh zis?" The alchemist gestures the mess around the hall. "Have you not heard about ze rioters? Uncouth swine if you ask me... Apparently news of one of Dr. Cula's discontinued projects got out, it was only a minor amount of grave robbing, he did pay ze fines. But you know how excitable ze masses can be. It's been nozing but protests and boycotts all week. We even had to shut our shop in ze marketplace."

The doctor shuffles nervously in front of the dragon.

"I heard about ze posy-chick of Heroica being in ze naughty, but you know how ze zings go? You can't trust everyzing you read in ze papers. Now what's zis about mysterious substances?"

Matthias keeps a wary eye on the streets. "Pardon me, sir, but might we get inside before any more rioters see us?"

10 hours ago, StickFig said:

Matthias keeps a wary eye on the streets. "Pardon me, sir, but might we get inside before any more rioters see us?"

"Of course, zough it is still early so most of ze Guild hasn't arrived. Follow me." The formulist waits for the group to dismount before pulling out a small pouch of minimizing powder tossing it on Torc shrinking the dragon to the size of a panther.

"Don't want folks getting suspicious. Here," The doctor tosses a remedy to Hoke. "Just in case."

Leading the party inside to a small laboratory, the doctor pulls on a pair of sterile gloves.
"Now, what are we dealing with here?"

Dyric Rone, doctor, the assassin says in introduction.

54 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Atramor, you're in charge, show him what we got. 

1 hour ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Leading the party inside to a small laboratory, the doctor pulls on a pair of sterile gloves.

Atramor tosses the vial of silver powder to the alchemist.

"Sorry to hear 'bout the business, mate. If you've got any stock left, I've got a hell of a lot of coin to unload."

10 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Of course, zough it is still early so most of ze Guild hasn't arrived. Follow me." The formulist waits for the group to dismount before pulling out a small pouch of minimizing powder tossing it on Torc shrinking the dragon to the size of a panther.

Hoke chuckles after seeing the dragon shrunk down to a size she hasn't been in what seems like a lifetime.

"If he does that again, do you think you could fit around my neck?"

10 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Don't want folks getting suspicious. Here," The doctor tosses a remedy to Hoke. "Just in case."

"Thanks," Hoke says as he pockets the Remedy.

On 5/3/2018 at 11:39 PM, CMP said:

Atramor tosses the vial of silver powder to the alchemist.

"Sorry to hear 'bout the business, mate. If you've got any stock left, I've got a hell of a lot of coin to unload."

"Might be some, Portia would have to go zrough ze remainder stock. I know zey keep a pretty low inventory to keep costs down, but we've got a lot of raw ingredients, so given enough time we could probably whip somezing up for you. Now let's see what we've got here."

The alchemist mixes the powder in a variety of solutions, dissolves, boils, condenses, titrates, reacts, freezes, and melts the substance. A good ten minutes later the alchemist smiles at the group.

"I believe what you have here, is grade A pixie dust."

25 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Can you give us any more than that? What could be done with a dust like this? Could you, say, create golem, or homunculus, or something of the like?

12 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"From what, like a-...."

Atramor opened his mouth to continue when a sudden chill gripped his mind, a single thought spreading rapidly like a disease. He turned slowly to face the party.

"........there's exactly one Founder we know for damn sure is actually alive, mates."

"And The Fey One is a fairy, ain't they?"

2 hours ago, CMP said:

"From what, like a-...."

Atramor opened his mouth to continue when a sudden chill gripped his mind, a single thought spreading rapidly like a disease. He turned slowly to face the party.

"........there's exactly one Founder we know for damn sure is actually alive, mates."

Dyric leans back, taking in the information.

I still don't get the why. What's the motive? I suppose it could be the same as these fakers, but... haven't the heroes helped them in the past? Besides, they've been content to lay low until now. 

That said, it's worth investigating. It's the only good lead we really have. A shame we didn't have this when talking to the Golden Dragon.

23 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Can you give us any more than that? What could be done with a dust like this? Could you, say, create golem, or homunculus, or something of the like?

"It's a pretty rare substance from my understanding, doesn't occur naturally on zis plane as far as I'm aware. Zere's a synzetic out zere on ze black market, pretty strong stuff from what I hear."

26839668965_ed032c48e6_t.jpg Faerie Dust (Allows the user to change their age, size, and gender for a short period of time. +1 Stealth, Consumable.)

10 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"It's a pretty rare substance from my understanding, doesn't occur naturally on this plane as far as I'm aware. There's a synthetic out there on the black market, pretty strong stuff from what I hear."

26839668965_ed032c48e6_t.jpg Faerie Dust (Allows the user to change their age, size, and gender for a short period of time. +1 Stealth, Consumable.)

Dyric examines the substance, then pockets it. Do you know exactly how you would manufacture it? What you would need? 

4 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

Dyric examines the substance, then pockets it. Do you know exactly how you would manufacture it? What you would need? 

"Ze synzetic? It's a drug, no shape altering properties like ze pure stuff. It may make you feel like you're in anozer body experience, but zat's about it. I'm not quite sure how it's made, some of ze slime men in ze city peddle it."

On 5/5/2018 at 12:08 AM, Waterbrick Down said:

20 hours ago, CMP said:

9 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Faerie Dust (Allows the user to change their age, size, and gender for a short period of time. +1 Stealth, Consumable.)

Is there a difference between Pixie Dust and Fairy Dust and Fairie Dust?

Matthias listens closely to the alchemist, Gibbin, and Rone, and comes away confused. "So is it pixie dust, or fairy dust?" He asks. "It seems a stretch to conclude the Fey One is responsible, but we do at least know that that dwarf was no Doomsayer. We should try to meet up with the other Heroes and investigate Fort Bonaparte."