Plural

New factory space sets?

I will have to wait and see the final product before I make a judgement on these. I will agree though that I am tired of the red/black and blue/white themes for factions.

Bear in mind that the genesis of the entire process of making these sets was about 3 years ago, before everyone got tired of our color schemes. :-/

It's very nice to see that TLG releases sets which were designed by Lego fans. *y*

But why then not releasing some nice sets?! Since there are so many nice sets on Lego Factory I can't understand why some so ugly sets like these were chosen to be released! *sing*

Thanks very much. |-/

Hang on... This took THREE years?

Oh well... That definetly kills all my hopes and dreams for Exoforce to come back soon, when TLC realises sales are rocketing for the 2008 sets...

Lego Factory operates at a different pace than the system lines like ExoForce.

Also, Chris and I were only the second AFOL effort to create an LDD set, so the process should become more streamlined in the future.

Bear in mind that the genesis of the entire process of making these sets was about 3 years ago, before everyone got tired of our color schemes. :-/

Ouch. This explains something.... Now, with the heavy impact of the new Exclusive sets

like CC or Green Grocery on the AFOL community, followed by some astounding Factory

sets like MS, TLC

In contrast to the most of you I really dislike these sets!

It's very nice to see that TLG releases sets which were designed by Lego fans. *y*

But why then not releasing some nice sets?! Since there are so many nice sets on Lego Factory I can't understand why some so ugly sets like these were chosen to be released! *sing*

Hopefully TLG will release some really nice fan designed sets in the future!

Thanks, that was nice of you. We'll try to do less next time.

You haven't seen the rest of the box, but if that's your prevailing attitude it probably won't help. I hope it's not the case.

Ouch. This explains something.... Now, with the heavy impact of the new Exclusive sets

like CC or Green Grocery on the AFOL community, followed by some astounding Factory

sets like MS, TLC

Edited by Admiral Giddens

I have to say that LEGO is surprising me: this is going to be the most expensive year for me. I'm waiting for the whole line impatiently. Thanks LEGO, because of you people, I'll have to ask for more money to my bank T-T ^_^

I've gone up and down in moods over these sets.

Let me start by saying I think Mr. Giddens and Mr. Sandlin have done a great job. And not just with these sets but with the communities they have helped build and their MOCs over the years.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of these sets even under the realization that the Lego process may have squeezed some of the 'holy moley!' factor from the final designs. And I think some of the negativity here is simply because we've become used to that emotion when seeing the MOCs of these two gentlemen.

And yes, even if the other parts of the sets are huge dissapointments even compared to what we've seen (Which I am not expecting) I'll buy the sets because I support this process moving forward.

I mean, its really amazing. Lego identified some thought leaders, had them develop sets that Lego is now going to sell. Wow!

That said, I can see where some of the dissapointment came from. It sounds like the cycle on this process is brutal. And during that cycle, we've seen some amazing things coming out of Lego. The new Castle chess set, Market Street (another Factory set no less) and Green Grocer. I can see where the perception that Lego has missed an opportunity here to give us 'adult' space sets as a companion to whats on the shelves at Target. Much like Market Street to the latest police station or the Chess set to the latest Troll Attack Tower.

However, the fact that it is a long process does give me hope. I mean, given the constrictions, these sets (What we've seen of them so far) are great. And its harder to come up with something good given what sounds like fairly strict constraints. This procee began prior to the success of Cafe Corner and hopefully the continued success of Market Street, Green Grocer, and other high end sets. Hopefully, that will steer TLG down the path of letting these two creators have more design freedom next time. I view this as a great start and I thank Mr Sandlin and Mr Giddens for thier hard work.

I'm no Lego apologist (See my Bionicle posts if you don't believe me) but as a first step, this is something I can get excited about. If it doesn't expand beyond this, then I'd chaulk it up as a huge missed opportunity.

-Tohst who never got his Classic Space Legend set either

I'm a City fan, I've never posted in this section before, but after seeing the pic of 10191 (Or half of it), I may just be tempted. This is a VERY nice Space set, even so far. I like the little fuel base, and the little ship reminds me a bit of set I see mentioned all the time, set 918 (Link), which I think is kinda cute.

10192 doesn't really appeal to me, but I think that's because it's a bit "out there". I like the human theme of 10191. They both seem like very well designed sets though. :-)

I think that $100 is a bit much, but seeing that the pics we've seen don't even show half of what's in the box, I'll wait and see what the other half looks like. :-P

huh?

I think what he's stabbing at is that these sets might be better suited as a general-issue space theme and not so much of an exclusive aimed at adult collectors.

I kinda think the opposite. Aside from a big honking flagship at around 120 pieces, these sets seem to have everything you need to be a single theme spread over two boxes, which...in the long view, is probably for the best. Doesn't make me want a big ship any less though. deino2.gif

In contrast to the most of you I really dislike these sets!

Hopefully TLG will release some really nice fan designed sets in the future!

Klaus, you must've missed that you are participating in a discussion with the designers of the sets. You're entitled to your opinion but try to express them in a more constructive way, please. Thanks. :-)

Remember, the images we are seeing are only half of what will be available. Each set comes with four models. We are only seeing two of each.

huh?

Oh, this one actually made sense to me. And hopefully its because I understood what was being said and not just making something up in my head (again).

If we saw sets like this at Target or TRU instead of MM, we'd be doing backflips of joy. Its only because the Direct chain has given us more complicated sets recently that there is any grumbling.

Which I can agree with. And I like aspects of MM. It just needs to be grey, blue, and trans-yellow. ;-)

-Tohst - living in the past

Edited by Tohst

These look cool and all, but I'm saving up for castle/indy/Fabuland. :-/

I would like to see some $20 single modular floor sets though as that would be awesome *y*

These look cool and all, but I'm saving up for castle/indy/Fabuland. :-/

I would like to see some $20 single modular floor sets though as that would be awesome *y*

Fabuland on Bricklink/eBay? Or is it being re-released and I somehow missed the news? :'-) :'-) :'-) :'-)

Fabuland on Bricklink/eBay? Or is it being re-released and I somehow missed the news? :'-) :'-) :'-) :'-)

Sooo off topic but I've imagined what they would do to Fabuland if they were releasing it for today's markets. Fabuland with attitude! Yikes!.

-Tohst....with subtext maybe not completely off topic

Which I can agree with. And I like aspects of MM. It just needs to be grey, blue, and trans-yellow. ;-)

Nah, leave the white how it is and swap out the orange for gray and make the canopies transparent black or that reflective gold color...then you've got a winner ;-)

But I was sort of thinking this earlier...with more "Spaceish" elements in the Factory, it'll afford us the opportunity for some color swaps in the Mars Mission sets...I hope deino2.gif

Sooo off topic but I've imagined what they would do to Fabuland if they were releasing it for today's markets. Fabuland with attitude! Yikes!.

-Tohst....with subtext maybe not completely off topic

I think I still have my Fabuland monkey around here somewhere....

Sooo off topic but I've imagined what they would do to Fabuland if they were releasing it for today's markets.

Did what you imagined look like this? :-$

Okay, sorry. Back on topic. Awesome space sets! *sweet* I wonder what the mini-figs in the SpaceSkulls sets will look like.

There were never such Space sets that I wanted this much! They look more than awesome!

Great and nice design! *y* *y* *y*

Did what you imagined look like this? :-$

Okay, sorry. Back on topic. Awesome space sets! *sweet* I wonder what the mini-figs in the SpaceSkulls sets will look like.

HA! Definately not. I like your Fabuland Housewifes setting. I imagined two factions for conflict as well as some sort of shooting mechinism with all the animals being like Poochie from the Simpsons.

And yeah, back on Topic...I wonder if the torsos are stickers or printed.

-Tohst

I'm so glad to see this! While I will probably not buy these sets (my set purchases being more and more limited as time goes by) I am just enamored with the new direction that these take LEGO in. As many others have stated, releasing more of these as normal sets would be fantastic. Combined with other things like the new MarsMission, it seems that LEGO is looking back to their Space roots and creating some great sets. Okay, minus the MM aliens.

From the pics I've seen, I really like the design of that open space station, I have always believed in more open things since they allow for more playability than a closed structure, especially in non-UCS sets. These sets I don't think are large enough or detailed enough to be classified as UCS, but they are very well designed and I like the inclusion of some great complexity of build.

Plus whoever thought of those two rockets on top of that station is a GENIUS.

The little ship that comes with the space station is also good, and I like the overall design of that skull--ship. My only worry is that those pieces used as its "tentacles" are pretty flimsy as far as my history with those pieces. I wonder if they will be too flimsy and that skull ship will not be able to stand upright?

Design-wise, though, the tentacles are cool.

So, not a real Space fan, but I had to post because I am so glad that LEGO is taking this direction and allowing great designer fans to create some sets. Combined with the news that AFOLs contributed to this year's castle line, this is turning out to be a spectacular LEGO 2008! Hopefully this is just the beginning!

And call me boring, but I think that white/blue color scheme for the Space Justice is my favorite space color scheme of all-time.

VK

Edited by Visorak-kal

Of course what we're all really waiting for is TLC to release a Fabuland Space line! ;-)

Seriously though, I'd like to say welcome to Mark and Chris. I've been a fan of your creations for a long time. Thanks guys for all the hard work you've put into these new sets and the other stuff you do as Lego Ambassadors. My initial reaction to the pictures: Awesome!!! *wub* This is the best news for Classic Space fans since the release of Blacktron/Futuron (I liked Space Police as well, but for me it all went downhill from then on)! I love the style of the Star Justice set with it's old skool flyer and base made from modern components. It echoes the original designs featured in the line when it had it's debut back in 1979:

0891-1.jpg0493-1.jpg

I would buy this one just get those cool new space torsos. This is the kind of thing I had hoped for from Mars Mission but was disappointed. Much better colours! Even if the plans you guys came up with don't include a large craft, I'm just itching to see how big a space ship I can build using all the parts in the set!

And the Space Skulls... anyone who loves anime as much as I do could never get tired of Giant Tentacled Skulls of Doom! Don't listen to the nay-sayers! I'm totally looking forward to picking these up (even though I'll have to jettison a lot of my 2008 wants-list to do so) and also playing with the new parts in LDD and hearing more about your creative process when you guys can finally talk about it!

My only worry is that those pieces used as its "tentacles" are pretty flimsy as far as my history with those pieces. I wonder if they will be too flimsy and that skull ship will not be able to stand upright?

Actually it stands upright very well. It's actually stable enough that LEGO didn't require it to have a brick stand to hold it up. *skull*

I can't WAIT for this line to come out! :'-) I hope that we will get SOME stuff designed by Lego, otherwise most of the stuff will be WAY overpriced like all of Factory. Not to mention alot of the stuff that gets uploaded there is just plain dumb, like a bunch of random Lego peices laying around on the screen, or stuff that is just randomly stacked bricks. :-|