3 hours ago, ord said:

I am looking for a 4k video camera for a few hundred USD/euros. It would be used mostly to shoot 4k videos while stationary (mounted to a tripod). Easy file transfer to a computer for editing is important too.

Does anybody have a recommendation?

It was mentioned previously in the topic, the Panasonic Lumix G7 is a great and versatile mirrorless camera with interchangeable lenses for future expansion possibilities. It's not a new model, but I see it being listed at  ~500 USD around here. Any models following it (G8, G9...) or the similar GX series like the GX80/GX85 are good for this purpose, the latter can be even cheaper.

Thanks for the info @SaperPL. Your pans look nice. Personally I like to film from further away and zoomed in so I think the GoPro is out for me (ah yes, wide angle is what I meant by fisheye).

I have been using my Galaxy S10 phone camera which has been great (4k video, big screen, can tweak lots of settings, can edit right on the device) but unfortunately the camera is broken and I can't fix it.

13 minutes ago, kbalage said:

Panasonic Lumix G7

It's an option but I was hoping to find something cheaper. For example the Panasonic Lumix FZ80 and TZ90 both claim to shoot 4k video and are a fair bit cheaper. Is there any reason why these bridge/compact cameras wouldn't suffice?

Edited by ord

9 minutes ago, ord said:

It's an option but I was hoping to find something cheaper. For example the Panasonic Lumix FZ80 and TZ90 both claim to shoot 4k video and are a fair bit cheaper. Is there any reason why these bridge/compact cameras wouldn't suffice?

It really depends on your needs. compact Panasonic cameras are also great, but they have a smaller sensor and fixed lens. The first does not help with low light performance, the second removes the possibility to buy a wide angle, macro or telephoto lens to expand your filming possibilities. I suggest to spend some time on camera review sites, check their test footage, create a list about your must have features and then you can choose which one fits your needs within the desired budget. 

I think they will suffice then - I won't be shooting in low light, the FZ80 comes with 60x optical zoom and I have a GoPro for wide angle if needed.

Honestly I'm just looking out of necessity - I would continue to use my phone camera if it worked (and actually it would be cheaper to buy a new phone than a Lumix G7).

Thanks for the help

1 hour ago, ord said:

Personally I like to film from further away and zoomed in so I think the GoPro is out for me (ah yes, wide angle is what I meant by fisheye).

I just checked and if you set the 4K on Hero 7, then the zoom is disabled and you're stuck with wide angle. The zoom is effectively made by shrinking the area of the sensor to the middle, if I understand it correctly, so you won't have a zoom in with 4K on this.

I use an Olympus OM-D E-M10 (initial version) on a tripod, with the model set on pieces of white paper, in a room that has spot lights. I use iMovie for editing. It's a very minimal setup but it works. It can't do slow-mo or anything like that. I have been impressed with the iPhone's slow mo (and camera in general). For most demo video purposes I suspect a good cell phone camera is sufficient.

I bought myself an Insta360 Go2 to create onboard footage of my RC MOCs.

The results are incredible for 27g weight of the camera itself and its really tiny formfactor. The sensor and the resolution are also very good and it gives the possibility to create 16:9, 9:16 (both 1440p50 at maximum) or 1:1 out of the original footage.
Last but not least it has a feature of automatical horizontal stabilization.

Example Footage:

Same in 9:16 format:

More videos can be found in my YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC59UvUX5EhDzD8-JX6CCcuw/