Hello.

I'd like to present my latest Technic project. This a modification of Lego set 42037 Formula Off-Roader.

The goal was to build a motorized version without loosing the feeling of the original. Because of that, my main constraint was to keep the seat, since that seems to be the preferred place to put some of the Power Functions components. I decided to change the motor for a V6 version because it's shorter and it allowed me to place the servo under it while keeping the original ground clearance. 

The model requires 561 parts, including Power Functions. The Lego set and the Modification share about 75% of the parts. 

I upload the building instructions and inventory to Rebrickable, in case someone want to give this a try. You can download the instructions from dagupa.net

UPDATE: Axle was missing from rear wheels. Now fixed. Uploaded 21/12/2017
Pieces added: 2x Technic Axel #3 and 4 CV Joints

800x600.jpg

I'm happy with the final product. I think it looks like a deluxe version of the original.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x623.jpg

800x600.jpg

It also performs well. In the video I used a V2 receiver and 8 rechargeable batteries.

Thank you for your time. Feedback and suggestions are always appreciated.

UPDATE: Axle was missing from rear wheels. Now fixed. Uploaded 21/12/2017
Pieces added: 2x Technic Axel #3 and 4 CV Joints

Edited by dagupa
Instructions updated. Missing step fixed.

I wonder how many PF MODs there have been to 42037? It feels like it’s one of the more popular for this type PF MOD. 

On 12/20/2017 at 3:53 AM, Boulderer said:

Nice PF conversion.  You've managed to keep the looks and identity of the original set very well.

Thank you. The most difficult parts was to keep the original seat because it takes a lot of space.

On 12/20/2017 at 9:01 AM, Aventador2004 said:

Great mod, performance is very good.

Thank you. The V2 Receiver managed to live up to the expectations. I used 8 rechargeable batteries to get about 9.4 volts.

On 12/20/2017 at 1:53 PM, Leonardo da Bricki said:

My favorite set, I love seeing these MODs of it. Great job on this one, the performance is good! :thumbup:

Thank you. I like this set a lot, too. I think it's weird that you can still get it with great discounts. I bought the last one a couple of month ago for US$30 at Walmart.

15 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Another very well executed RC MOD of 42037... I think that's all I need to say. :wink:

Thank you for your kind words.

13 hours ago, Boulderer said:

I wonder how many PF MODs there have been to 42037? It feels like it’s one of the more popular for this type PF MOD. 

I think so, too. It's a relatively cheap set and it comes with full suspension. It's not heavy and the box art begs for a motor.

Very nice mod with PF motors :) It's pretty interesting to see how people independently come to a similar solution, e.g. swapping the engine to a V6/V8 because it is easier to fit the Servo (and obviously to look more badass :devil: ). I even had a similar placement of those blue panels next to the engine. I agree it's a great set to easily motorize, the only weakness is the CV joints - they cannot handle higher speed offroading.

1 hour ago, kbalage said:

Very nice mod with PF motors :) It's pretty interesting to see how people independently come to a similar solution, e.g. swapping the engine to a V6/V8 because it is easier to fit the Servo (and obviously to look more badass :devil: ). I even had a similar placement of those blue panels next to the engine. I agree it's a great set to easily motorize, the only weakness is the CV joints - they cannot handle higher speed offroading.

That is something that have amazed me, too. It's always Newton vs Leibniz. Until you realized they both arrived to the same destination through different paths. Enough about religion ;)

I've been trying to make a 4x4 version of this set, but the CV Joints just don't work with the Steering Portal when the frontal suspension goes down or up over the range -10 to 10 degrees. Which is good for a racing car but totally worthless for an off-road vehicle.

Hello everyone. Anyone still have the pdf for this amazing moc from dagupa? Saw that his last activity here was 2018 his site if offline. I will give a go using his youtube video, but if anyone has the original pdf when was avaiable, would be amazing. Many thanks.

1 hour ago, Arley Ramos said:

Hello everyone. Anyone still have the pdf for this amazing moc from dagupa? Saw that his last activity here was 2018 his site if offline. I will give a go using his youtube video, but if anyone has the original pdf when was avaiable, would be amazing. Many thanks.

I don´t have it... but I did this sometime ago ...