Sign in to follow this  
Kwatchi

[SR - FB2] - Nov '17 - FTA Warehouse

ngkIfGO.jpg

Originally built by the Tifune Clan as a trading post, the building was recently re-appropriated by the Free Traders Association to serve as a dock side warehouse in Charlatan Bay's Low Town.

lJIkdbX.jpg

r7lq58l.jpg

2h7t8Uy.jpg

tjm5Lbv.jpg

8Dqx7D3.jpg

---x---x---x---

Tried my hand at a pagoda-style roof but it did not come off as well as I'd like.  Not awful, just not completely happy with it so I'll try new technique next time. My investment in a few blue trans tiles for water though paid off really well; I plan to add to my collection in that regard.

This will be licensed as a small commercial (warehouse) by the Free Traders Association.

Edited by Kwatchi

Great warehouse Kwatchi. I particularly like the horizontal rock work at the base (I am struggling with some of that at the moment of a challenge build!). Also I love the use of the classic yellow - it works really well here - great job!

The reef and the pier are awesome! The working crane and the roof are nice too.

A nice warehouse. I actually really like the roof! It would maybe look better if the "upper half" was done the same way as the lower one - i.e. with the inward round slope - but the way it is still looks good to me. The irregular wood is done very well, as are the rocks. And I love the working crane.

The one thing I do not like is the yellow - in my opinion it looks odd. Maybe green or red would look better. That is just personal taste of course.

Overall a lovely addition to Charlatan Bay. With all the barrels and crates inside business must be going good these days! :pir-grin:

Thanks all.  After looking it over again, I think my hang-up on the roof is that the upper section peak is too high.  1x3 slopes would likely give me a better silhouette and I'll try it next time.

18 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

I particularly like the horizontal rock work at the base (I am struggling with some of that at the moment of a challenge build!).

A couple of years back, someone pointed out to me a tutorial about rock work; with half my colony along a cliff base I figured I needed some pointers because I was going to do a lot of it.  I can't find the link atm, but it made a good argument.  The jist of it was that most rock is laid down in layers, so for you to get a realistic look you simply build sideways.  This rock face ends up being a veneer over a solid brick wall with maybe the odd attachment point using a headlight brick.  It can be pretty unstable when jostled but for displays that usually isn't a big concern.  Like anything, your success can be constrained by what is in your collection but it is pretty easy once you get started.

Considering your portfolio of work Ayrlego, I am betting you'll master it with ease.