Jespy

Lego British Fire Engine

Hi all.

After starting to collect modulars and displaying them as a group, I really wanted to include custom models along with it. I'm a big fan of 10197, but never thought the engine was much good! Being big into UK-styled fire engines, I thought I'd make my own.

This is LARGELY inspired by MadPhysicist's design (https://www.flickr.com/madphysicist/) with a fair number of custom tweaks and designs.

The plan is to further develop the chassis to allow for quick, easy redesign of the pump/tender to allow for multiple uses. In one of the example image below, I updated the front-end of the unit to be inspired by the old Dennis units used by TWFRS. Obviously it's not perfect, was just trying out a modular front end style! 

I'm looking for some constructive criticism for these designs to help them improve! I will happily release instructions once I have the design to a fair level..although I may end up trading them for a donation to a firefighter's charity.

UK Fire Engine (Front)UK Fire Engine (Rear)UK Fire Engine with 10197 Modular

UK Fire Engine Designs (Front)

Edited by Jespy
Links still broken

Looks very good. Excellent use of pieces for creating colours and shapes, like that star wars tile at the rear. Perfect fit! :classic:

24 minutes ago, Littleworlds said:

Looks very good. Excellent use of pieces for creating colours and shapes, like that star wars tile at the rear. Perfect fit! :classic:

Thank you! Parts ordered from Bricklink today, so hopefully should be able to see if it's structurally sound by the end of the week!

2 hours ago, Jespy said:

Thank you! Parts ordered from Bricklink today, so hopefully should be able to see if it's structurally sound by the end of the week!

I hope so! Welcome to Eurobricks btw :classic:

5 hours ago, MAB said:

You probably need to update the flag too!

I know, right? Need to get a good lil design going for that!

4 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

I hope so! Welcome to Eurobricks btw :classic:

Thank you! Been a lurker here for years...but never had anything worthy to post!

Just now, Jespy said:

Been a lurker here for years...but never had anything worthy to post!

This is definitely worthy! It's an excellent replica of the vehicles I am used to seeing around.

I wonder if it would look even better with a more vertical windscreen (perhaps 64453?), even if it would make it taller. I also think the blue lights should be brought in front of the front grille, they seem a bit hidden behind it. I love the roof and rear-end details though, well done. I can't wait to see what you do next with this.

Good looking version of a London Pump. I like some of the fine details including the 'Jack Bar' on the 13.5 ladder. The blues under the front grill make it look more realistic as wouldn't look the same surface mounted imo

On 12/11/2017 at 10:03 PM, ColletArrow said:

This is definitely worthy! It's an excellent replica of the vehicles I am used to seeing around.

I wonder if it would look even better with a more vertical windscreen (perhaps 64453?), even if it would make it taller. I also think the blue lights should be brought in front of the front grille, they seem a bit hidden behind it. I love the roof and rear-end details though, well done. I can't wait to see what you do next with this.

Thank you! Big props to MadScientist who I strongly based the design on!

I've quickly hashed it out on LDD. Looks good for the older 'Dennis' style unit, but I think the slanted one looks slightly better on the 'Volvo/Scania' style. What do you think?

Fire Engine (Front) Flat Glass

On 13/11/2017 at 9:12 AM, scottwb2010 said:

Good looking version of a London Pump. I like some of the fine details including the 'Jack Bar' on the 13.5 ladder. The blues under the front grill make it look more realistic as wouldn't look the same surface mounted imo

Thanks! I agree with the lights. I'm in the process of redesigning some of the colour schemes to fit better with the TWFRS...including getting some printed parts made.

1 hour ago, Jespy said:

I've quickly hashed it out on LDD. Looks good for the older 'Dennis' style unit, but I think the slanted one looks slightly better on the 'Volvo/Scania' style. What do you think?

Hmm. As I thought, a bit too tall to look good. Not bad though, especially not on the older version as you say. I think the flatter front helps there. It could just be the viewing angle.

On 11/14/2017 at 7:53 PM, Jespy said:

Thank you! Big props to MadScientist who I strongly based the design on!

Fire Engine (Front) Flat Glass

Thanks! I agree with the lights. I'm in the process of redesigning some of the colour schemes to fit better with the TWFRS...including getting some printed parts made.

Definitely looking more like Dennis machines now. The battenburg one is like the SS model and the yellow striped one is like the Sabre model. 

Hi all

Was recently shown a lovely design for a mercedes-based engine by a friend of mine so I converted it to fit my model. It was just a screengrab from google so he has lost the original user!

Fire Engines Merc

That's pretty good! I think this variant suits the slanted window screen, and overall just looks perfect. The white section of the bumper looks a little too large/tall though, depending on which specific variant you're going for. The ones I've seen have grey ones anyway; perhaps that would fit better. Very nice job though!