Guys I am new to Eurobricks and my dad and my mom were being stupid yesterday they said I am turning fourteen in a few days and they said I'm too old for Lego now. And my Dad accuses me of always talking about Lego and keeps saying I will remain a kid and a baby forever and I will never act according to my age but I do I just want to enjoy Lego on my free times and also when I get older I want to put my Lego sets all in one museum to display them about nostalgia and memorable times I had with them. But now they rejected that and I'm super duper mad! It's like they are being arrogant and ignorant if there is anyway to convince them to stop them please tell me.

Hi,

Welcome to EB.

I do understand the feelings your parents have, but when I was 14 I still was a big fan of LEGO. Eventually you will start doing other things as well. Most of us have had our dark ages, the period when you stop building with LEGO and start drinking beer :laugh:
You will probably grow into other things as well. And on the other hand; there's no such thing as too old for LEGO.

I can suggest a lot of things, which will make your parents wish you were still into LEGO LoL, but I won't :laugh:
The most important thing is that you respect each other. After all, they are still your parents. Maybe you should simply enjoy the hobby but not overdo it. You will need to focus on other things as well, like education and making sure you will get a decent job, which will pay for all the LEGO when you are an AFOL.

Anyway, I don't have a clear answer. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. Your parents want to see that you can think of other things than LEGO and you still like support from your parents. 

By the way; Eurobricks is actually for adult members (18+) but we condone minors. But please don't advertise that you are underaged anymore :wink: 

Hello and welcome!

My parents were quite the same. And they never got their head around it when I started getting back  into Lego again some years ago.

Anyway, I think most here eventually had their "dark age" when they got out of Lego for a while, and eventually came back in later years. I think you are never too old for it. Sometimes life demands you to direct your attention to other things, but I know plenty of people who are in their 30s and 40s who get some Lego for christmas this year as well.

As always, it comes down to doing things in moderation. Nothing should be done excessively, and its better than starting to smoke or drink for sure! :wink: 

P.S.

Just ensure that they keep your Lego collection, if you ever stop playing with it. Nothing is worse than coming back after years and finding out its all gone!

Edited by Littleworlds
Added a P.S.!

Just now, Littleworlds said:

As always, it comes down to doing things in moderation. Nothing should be done excessively, and its better than starting to smoke or drink for sure! :wink: 

Well spoken.

15 minutes ago, Jim said:

Hi,

Welcome to EB.

I understand I am in to others things like Brave Wilderness and Basket Ball and other hobbies too but they just don't see that in me they just think I will be the same forever I will definitely tell them I'm not just into Lego thank you Jim you teach me better than my Dad. 

Just now, ShayanK65 said:

thank you Jim you teach me better than my Dad. 

I wouldn't say that. Let's say I do have some experience with getting interested in other things and eventually getting back into the hobby again.

thank you Little Worlds I'm glad their are a few people on my side and soon to be many more! (HUGS) It's just that you know it's hard to convince others but it will totally do in the END!

If anyone thinks they are too old for LEGO, have a look at this thread...

We have folks on Eurobricks from 18 to 80 and no one is "too old for LEGO".

It is all about balance, LEGO  is a great, artistic hobby, but everyone, especially younger folks need balance.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

11 minutes ago, Littleworlds said:

Just ensure that they keep your Lego collection, if you ever stop playing with it. Nothing is worse than coming back after years and finding out its all gone!

Amen!

I can' tell you how much lego I got let go of.  My only consolation is that I hope someone else got much enjoyment of my previous collection. My new collection is not going anywhere.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

If you look at the modular sets, they are clearly designed for teenagers and adults in mind, as I don't see how children would be able to build them without help and most of the sets that I have now are built with small pieces, so I don't see how young children (younger than 10), would have the patience to build a lot of them. I was also under the impression, too, that Technic Lego was made for teenagers who were interested in engineering and electronics, so I wouldn't say that you are too old. One of my other hobbies is building dollshouses and miniatures and saying that someone is too old for Lego is like saying someone is too old to build those, but for people who are really skilled and experienced at making them it is a form of art.

Just now, Isavarg said:

If you look at the modular sets, they are clearly designed for teenagers and adults in mind, as I don't see how children would be able to build them without help and most of the sets that I have now are built with small pieces, so I don't see how young children (younger than 10), would have the patience to build a lot of them. I was also under the impression, too, that Technic Lego was made for teenagers who were interested in engineering and electronics, so I wouldn't say that you are too old. One of my other hobbies is building dollshouses and miniatures and saying that someone is too old for Lego is like saying someone is too old to build those, but for people who are really skilled and experienced at making them it is a form of art.

Indeed! And things like the UCS sets just scream to be picked up and swooshed around by kids barely bigger than them too :wink:

Hi and welcome,

i understand how frustrating it can be when it seems like your folks don't appreciate your passions or dismiss things that are important to you as childish or a waste of time and money.  While it can be maddening to deal with in the moment, remember that at the end of the day they just want what's best for you.  Every parent I know wants a better life for their child than they had for themselves.  So even when you're feeling upset, angry or insulted, try to remember that what lead to that situation was born of love, not malice.

I grew up "LEGO poor".  Lego was a pricy toy that I loved, but we really couldn't afford to buy more than a few small kits a year.  By the time I was your age, my folks were encouraging me to take as many odd jobs as I could and to save every penny I earned so I could afford to go to college.  In their mind they were "encouraging" me to know the value of a dollar and to get a good education.  In my mind this often came off as: stop buying LEGO and comic books; if you've got time for a hobby, you've got time for a paying job; etc.  They wanted to set me up for a lifetime of success and it took some time for us (together) to find the right balance between being who I was and preparing me for who I was to become.  We worked it out though, you will too.

That said, Andy D is quite right, you're NEVER too old for LEGO (Yes, I'm older than dirt myself, I'm older that Star Trek and I remember watching the first moon landing siting on my dad's lap in 1969). Today,  I have a Ph.D., a family of my own, a good job, a house, a sizable LEGO collection and I started this morning by playing with DUPLO blocks with my daughter.   I hope she never "outgrows" LEGO.

Moreover, and this is something you can share with your folks (in a polite way) to better inform them about LEGO being more than a toy.  I used to be an engineering professor at a fairly elite (i.e. hard to get into and ridiculously expensive) university and I taught college-level classes that had LEGO lab components to them.  I also know a professional architect who uses LEGO bricks to flesh out ideas on a regular basis.  Former students of mine have told me about job interviews at places like General Dynamics, Boeing, and Industrial Light and Magic where part of the interview process included leaving them alone with a pile of LEGO bricks to see how inventive they are.  A strong sense of spatial relations and a creative mind is a winning combination in many professions, and working with LEGO is a great way to tune those skills.

Talk to your folks.  Passion can be a good thing, but so is moderation and with a little mutual understanding, hopefully you can find a respectful, informed resolution.  Again, parents usually just want the best for their kids - and we don't always know what that is, we just know we love them.

thank you this is what I need what you stated is the meat of my topic what you stated is the core of my topic WHAT YOU STATED IS THE MAIN PART OF MY TOPIC (CLAPS)

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Hi,

Welcome to EB.

I do understand the feelings your parents have, but when I was 14 I still was a big fan of LEGO. Eventually you will start doing other things as well. Most of us have had our dark ages, the period when you stop building with LEGO and start drinking beer :laugh:
You will probably grow into other things as well. And on the other hand; there's no such thing as too old for LEGO.

I can suggest a lot of things, which will make your parents wish you were still into LEGO LoL, but I won't :laugh:
The most important thing is that you respect each other. After all, they are still your parents. Maybe you should simply enjoy the hobby but not overdo it. You will need to focus on other things as well, like education and making sure you will get a decent job, which will pay for all the LEGO when you are an AFOL.

Anyway, I don't have a clear answer. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. Your parents want to see that you can think of other things than LEGO and you still like support from your parents. 

By the way; Eurobricks is actually for adult members (18+) but we condone minors. But please don't advertise that you are underaged anymore :wink: 

1 hour ago, Littleworlds said:

Hello and welcome!

My parents were quite the same. And they never got their head around it when I started getting back  into Lego again some years ago.

Anyway, I think most here eventually had their "dark age" when they got out of Lego for a while, and eventually came back in later years. I think you are never too old for it. Sometimes life demands you to direct your attention to other things, but I know plenty of people who are in their 30s and 40s who get some Lego for christmas this year as well.

49 minutes ago, Isavarg said:

Thanks Everyone! Now in the Lego is for everyone who Can Create, Engineer, Design and, Much Much MORE! I will show these messages to them one day and they will see!

Also remember: It is always good to be respectful to your parents, they do want what is best for you and can be concerned if they think you are dedicating too much time to something frivolous or "childish".

It took a while and a few events to turn my father around to the idea that it was okay that I still "played" LEGO (Mum never did mind, but she is pretty much a big kid herself).

In the end it is all about balance, ensure the important things (Like family commitments, school/work and social time) happen first and then enjoy your hobbies around them. If you don't neglect the "big stuff" then no one can deny the "small stuff"

19 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

In the end it is all about balance, ensure the important things (Like family commitments, school/work and social time) happen first and then enjoy your hobbies around them. If you don't neglect the "big stuff" then no one can deny the "small stuff"

Definitely. I haven't stopped 'playing' with LEGO yet. I'm 18 and studying Civil Engineering at University now. Having recently done the whole balancing school/life/LEGO thing, I can reinforce it is important to find that happy equilibrium. I stopped buying LEGO for a start, that seemed to please my Mum (and forced me to be creative!). I was always building mechanical models of things, not necessarily technic, and that meant Dad didn't mind as much ("it helps my future career as an engineer"). Heck, at a recent employability talk the lecturer asked if anyone played with LEGO when they were younger. SOMEONE ELSE said that they still did before I got the chance! He was quite surprised by getting that response, but it proves the point that it improves the inventive skills @ShaydDeGrai talked about.

Ultimately, as long as the balance is there and correct, it should be your choice. You should be free to do what you like in your free time, if you work properly in work time. (As I may or may not have done. I found LDD is an excellent way of distracting myself and procrastinating, so much so I actually had to delete it temporarily during exam periods!)

Also, feel free to stick around EuroBricks. I'm sure you'll improve your skills and learn new techniques by looking at some of the amazing MOCs here, and you can share your own creations with the community for praise and feedback, the best way of developing skills. 
What are your main interest areas of building? City, technic, a licensed theme, or something else?

2 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

In the end it is all about balance, ensure the important things (Like family commitments, school/work and social time) happen first and then enjoy your hobbies around them.

Exactly! :thumbup: 

Welcome to Eurobricks @ShayanK65!

@ShayanK65

Maybe....just maybe....you can let your parents read this topic, so they have a better understanding of AFOLs and that LEGO is not only for kids.

Wow. You're parents sound like mine sometimes @ShayanK65. I'm 14 and a half  *shush, I know i'm suppose to be 18* but generally it evens out. As long as you do what your parents ask you to do and do alright in school, it generally works out alright (at least for me). I still get lego sets (although not as often) but recently I got into Technic and started building my own motorized cars so they don't mind me building lego as much now but still, i have to make sure it isn't my only past time.

I've found that I really haven't had all that much time for lego recently anyway as school work has got really hectic, so it sort of solves my lego problem :grin:

Also, now that I think of it, for my Design and Technology project we had to build a crank out of metal and make it so that it moved something (in my case it could kick a ball). I built a prototype out of lego and got top marks (40/40, and hence top of the class) so building with Lego really does pay off!

Edited by JACKATTACKS

15 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Definitely. I haven't stopped 'playing' with LEGO yet. I'm 18 and studying Civil Engineering at University now. Having recently done the whole balancing school/life/LEGO thing, I can reinforce it is important to find that happy equilibrium. I stopped buying LEGO for a start, that seemed to please my Mum (and forced me to be creative!). I was always building mechanical models of things, not necessarily technic, and that meant Dad didn't mind as much ("it helps my future career as an engineer"). Heck, at a recent employability talk the lecturer asked if anyone played with LEGO when they were younger. SOMEONE ELSE said that they still did before I got the chance! He was quite surprised by getting that response, but it proves the point that it improves the inventive skills @ShaydDeGrai talked about.

Ultimately, as long as the balance is there and correct, it should be your choice. You should be free to do what you like in your free time, if you work properly in work time. (As I may or may not have done. I found LDD is an excellent way of distracting myself and procrastinating, so much so I actually had to delete it temporarily during exam periods!)

Also, feel free to stick around EuroBricks. I'm sure you'll improve your skills and learn new techniques by looking at some of the amazing MOCs here, and you can share your own creations with the community for praise and feedback, the best way of developing skills. 
What are your main interest areas of building? City, technic, a licensed theme, or something else?

I'm in to the Ninjago theme, and I'm into Lego education in my school which helps me motorize sets

Edited by ShayanK65

16 minutes ago, ShayanK65 said:

I'm in to the Ninjago theme, and I'm into Lego education in my school which helps me motorize sets

Tip: when you quote, you can remove a part of the quote, so you won't quote the entire post. This makes for a more readable answer.

15 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Like this :wink:

19 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

something frivolous or "childish".

um thanks but you didn't have to say that remember with creativity there are ways to make things up to your age "childish is when you are doing something in a bad way" Lego is aimed for all ages, if something looks childish than change it up with creativity or explanation to make it look NORMAL 

also it's not about what the build seems to be childish it's about enjoying the build at who and what it's aimed for.

Ah, I did write " childish " the inverted comma's imply a quote of a view I do not hold. 

I love LEGO, have travelled to three different countries because of it and even mention it on my CV. But the fact of the matter is, society as a whole sees it as a toy and therefore childish. Hence your parents views.

Attitudes are changing however. Helped a little in the UK by the LEGO Masters contest on TV and LEGO certified professionals.